Join the team redefining how the world experiences design.
Hey, g'day, mabuhay, kia ora,你好, hallo, vítejte!
Thanks for stopping by. We know job hunting can be a little time consuming and you're probably keen to find out what's on offer, so we'll get straight to the point.
Where and how you can work
Our flagship campus is in Sydney. We also have a campus in Melbourne and co-working spaces in Brisbane, Perth and Adelaide. But you have choice in where and how you work. That means if you want to do your thing in the office (if you're near one), at home or a bit of both, it's up to you.
What you’d be doing in this role
As Canva scales change continues to be part of our DNA. But we like to think that's all part of the fun. So this will give you the flavour of the type of things you'll be working on when you start, but this will likely evolve.
About the team
This team builds one of the world's biggest free stock content sites, Pixabay. It serves tens of millions of monthly users over 2 million free images, videos, vectors and music. This content is ingested into Canva, available for everyone to use and supports Canva’s growing user base. We are looking at ways to redefine how content can be used and connected with Canva, and you will be a key player in helping to define the future. Our vision is to become the go-to destination for all free creative content. You will work on a variety of backend features and infrastructure projects with the small of backend and frontend engineers who enjoy extraordinary influence over the product's tech stack and direction.
What you'll do
- Working with designers and product managers to scope out new features, functionality, and technical requirements
- Participating in design meetings, hiring interviews, and code reviews
- Optimise backend performance for global scale
- Propose innovative approaches and solutions to ensure we future-proof product and features as we grow
- Passionately seek solutions to challenges with a scale and performance angle - be motivated by the idea of debugging, benchmarking, building exciting things, and picking up new technologies and skills as you grow
- Proven commercial software development experience writing high-performance production quality code in Python for large-scale global projects
- Broad knowledge of Cloud (AWS), Networking, and OS (Linux) concepts, services, and best practices
- Experience developing large scale web applications and portals - a background in ecommerce or other high-volume web portals would be beneficial
- Grounded computer science and engineering fundamentals including concurrency, multithreading, data structures, solution design, architecture, and design patterns
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills for leading both technical and non-technical conversations with colleagues
- Be self-motivated with an exceptional sense of ownership over sophisticated problems and their related solutions
What's in it for you?
Achieving our crazy big goals motivates us to work hard - and we do - but you'll experience lots of moments of magic, connectivity and fun woven throughout life at Canva, too. We also offer a stack of benefits to set you up for every success in and outside of work.
Here's a taste of what's on offer:
• Equity packages - we want our success to be yours too
• Inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents & carers
• An annual Vibe & Thrive allowance to support your wellbeing, social connection, office setup & more
• Flexible leave options that empower you to be a force for good, take time to recharge and supports you personally
Check out lifeatcanva.com for more info.
Other stuff to know
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.
Please note that interviews are conducted virtually.