We’re constantly working towards making Canva the best place to work, for everyone. We believe deeply that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key for building the best product for our equally diverse community all around the world. We celebrate uniqueness and whatever makes you, you and encourage everyone who wants to help us transform the way the world designs, to join us on this journey. We value all different types of experiences. If you don’t think you quite meet all of the qualifications, we’d still love to hear from you. About Us
At Canva, our mission is to democratise design and empower creativity for anyone and everyone, on every platform. Inspired by a team of talented thinkers, an amazing culture and a remarkable growth trajectory – we’re out to change the world, one design at a time.
Since launch in August 2013, we have grown exponentially, amassing over 60 million monthly active users across 190 different countries who have created more than 6 Billion designs. We are one of the world’s fastest-growing technology companies and we have only achieved about 1% of what we want to do.About the group and teamThe Creators group is one of the newest Canva engineering groups. For years Canva allowed image and element creators to submit their work to Canva and pay them royalties when they’re used in users’ designs. In June 2020, we launched the template creator program. For the first time, Template creators can now also earn money on Canva.The creator program (for both images/elements + templates), alongside our internal team of photographers, designers, and graphic illustrators has enabled Canva to be the one-stop-shop for all design needs.The engineering team around this project has scaled up quickly to support the continued growth of the program. We formed the Creators group just this year, with the goal of ensuring that Canva would be able to quickly scale up its content, especially templates, to meet the insatiable demand from users. It aims to also make Canva the go-to place to earn money as a digital creative.
We're seeking a Group Engineering Lead who will be able to lead the engineering roadmap in both a technical and personnel capacity. This will ensure that we can achieve our strategic goals and continue to build out a world-class engineering team.
- Develop and execute technical strategies and roadmaps of highly complex projects focused on enhancing the experience of creators and working closely with the Search & Recommendations group to get creator content into user’s hands.
- Drive delivery of large, cross-team, and cross-group initiatives and projects from ideation to completion.
- Foster a culture of communication, bridging the communication gap between teams, group, and company leadership
- Eng management across the group (including but not limited to: coach + grow the team leads, performance reviews for the group, help define group culture and processes, own group hiring and scaling)
- Be heavily involved in hiring; build and grow high-performing and highly engaged teams of world-class engineers by attracting, interviewing, and selecting talent for your group
Required Skills and Experience
- Engineering management experience: ideally across multiple teams through mentoring and developing team leads and/or line-managing managers
- Previous experience as a Software Engineer - in tune with software engineering fundamentals and first principles; comfortable contributing to design documents and performing thorough code reviews
- Ability to talk cross-stack to engineers, and cross-specialty with product and design
- Previous experience developing cloud-based / SaaS products
- A healthy balance of strong technical and people leadership skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; with the ability to work with a diverse range of individuals from different backgrounds, with different expertise, and with different professional and personal needs
- Strong customer focus to understand the use cases and requirements of internal stakeholders, and identify opportunities to empower them to do their best work
- Be capable of leading by example - promoting Canva’s values, no-blame mentality, and engineering values.
- Previous experience working cross-functionally with Product Managers, Finance, Designers, and other business functions outside of engineering
- Flexible hours and a hybrid working model which values work-life balance
- Our very own Canva University, internal coaching, and Employee Support Programs to help you be your best
- Unique and flexible leave options so you can recharge, give back, support others or focus on your own professional development
- An annual Vibe & Thrive Allowance for you to spend as you choose on personal education, wellbeing, home office, and social connection
- Virtual and in-office fitness and yoga classes, an onsite gym, and breakfast, and lunch prepared at our pet-friendly Sydney office by in-house chefs
- Canva For Good program matches your not-for-profit donations and a range of sustainability and ethical initiatives to get involved in
- Support for family and carers including a parental leave policy that prioritizes inclusivity, recognizing the diverse representations of modern families, and supporting work-life balance
- And more!
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion. If you’re keen to apply and need reasonable adjustments or would like to note which pronouns you use at any point in the application or interview process, please let us know.