Join the team redefining how the world experiences design.
Hey, g'day, mabuhay, kia ora,你好, hallo, vítejte!
Thanks for stopping by. We know job hunting can be a little time consuming and you're probably keen to find out what's on offer, so we'll get straight to the point.
Where and how you can work
Our flagship campus is in Sydney, Australia, but with many of our Canvanauts calling the Philippines home, our office in Manila is a buzzing place. Whether your role needs you in the office, at home or a bit of both, we've created an environment that truly empowers you to thrive.
What you’d be doing in this role
As Canva scales change continues to be part of our DNA. But we like to think that's all part of the fun. So this will give you the flavour of the type of things you'll be working on when you start, but this will likely evolve.
About Visual Content
Canva’s in-house Visual Content team is on a mission to empower our users around the world by providing them with world-class, inspirational Templates and Elements that help them achieve their creative goals.
We work from concept to creation on high quality, globally relevant, trend-setting creative across Canva’s product ecosystem (Presentations, Docs, Whiteboards, Social Media, Websites, Print, to name but a few!), Brand Partnerships, Seasonal and Cultural Campaigns, Education, and Diversity Initiatives.
Visual Content is responsible for setting the overall Creative Strategy and Creative Direction for the content that sits within Canva’s library, entrusted with holding our content and its creators to the highest of standards. Our job is to ensure that our library provides end-to-end content solutions that enable our users, whether they be Professionals, Educators, or first-time Designers, with the tools they need to create beautiful designs. We produce the highest quality, freshest, most relevant, diverse, usable and localised content that our template designers and users will love and keep using in their creations.
Our team partners with many stakeholders across the Canva organization, including Product, Marketing, and Search & Recommendations to devise, design and deliver creative content that showcases the very best of Canva’s products and services.
About the Role
Sitting within the Visual Content group, the Photos Lead provides leadership to our Photos creative team focused on producing free consumer content for our Canva library within our Diversity, Partnerships and Studio pillars. You will work closely with key craft stakeholders to develop, implement and maintain Canva's library of consumer content across all our supported markets. You will ensure that our Visual Content Strategy champions visually diverse, relevant, accessible and inclusive content that showcases the magic of the Canva product.
You will be responsible for the coaching and development of a selection of our in-house Photos creatives, working closely with the Photos Creative lead to ensure the craft and personal growth of the team to do the best work of their lives. You’ll be overseeing the craft output of creative briefs, collaborating with Design Ops and creatives to ensure our content is not only trendy, diverse and world class - but also researched and valuable for the end user.
This role will require close collaboration within the Visual Content group to advocate for the needs of our photos content library, clearly communicate content strategies and proposals, and iterate our approach through the analysis of performance data and insights in partnership with Content Strategy + Insights (CSI).
We move fast here at Canva, and this role will certainly keep you on your toes. We are looking for someone who loves to get stuff done. You’re who we want to work with if you can balance your brilliant creative streak with ruthless prioritization that moves projects rapidly along.
We believe in attracting and nurturing world-class talent with a focus on diversity, community, career development – and doing the best work of our lives.
What you’ll do...
- Build a deeply collaborative working relationship with the Photos Creative Lead, strategic leads and photos creatives to ensure that you and your team are tightly aligned with priorities, strategy and craft excellence.
- Own the development plans and coaching of creative team members to ensure their continued craft and personal success.
- Understand and respond to team and stakeholder feedback with accuracy and empathy, developing content and briefs that will help to make them successful.
- Work closely with the team developing Canva’s product – and ensure that our content evolves with and encourages our users to make great designs.
- Research competitors, trends, patterns and best-practises, visual/interaction design inspiration, user and business insights.
- Ensure the team & vendors create with usability requirements in mind.
- Identify areas for skills growth and career development across your Coachees, establishing a creative environment where ideas flourish and designers feel inspired to express themselves.
- Championing innovation by pushing your designers to think bigger and get creative with what they already know.
You're probably a match if..
- You are an expert on photography craft and trends, ensuring that Canva content remains current, relevant and authentic and inspirational across Canva’s ecosystem.
- You have previous experience leading a creative team of designers in a fast paced Digital Media environment.
- You are a senior leader who is comfortable communicating and engaging with Canva leadership, organisational stakeholders, and growing, coaching and mentoring a team of creatively minded individuals.
- You have keen eye for what makes great photography, and how creative trends and aesthetics can be adapted or changed to resonate with a global audience.
- You have the ability to work autonomously in a fast-paced, high-growth environment, driving momentum with strategic projects and large-change initiatives even amongst ambiguity.
Competencies for success
- We shortlist by reviewing not just your CV but more importantly, your portfolio. Quality over quantity matters more to us – so bring out your best design works!
- You work well under pressure. You can work with tight requirements and work around tight deadlines
- While we won’t be taking any blood samples, we’d love to see some Startup DNA – you will need to be flexible, pragmatic, strategic, tenacious, and take ownership of deliverables and outcomes – ya gotta have hustle!
Hear more about our culture, the work we do in the Design specialty, straight from our Manila Designers
What's in it for you?
Achieving our crazy big goals motivates us to work hard - and we do - but you'll experience lots of moments of magic, connectivity and fun woven throughout life at Canva, too. We also offer a stack of benefits to set you up for every success in and outside of work.
Here's a taste of what's on offer:
• Equity packages - we want our success to be yours too
• Inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents & carers
• An annual Vibe & Thrive allowance to support your wellbeing, social connection, office setup & more
• Flexible leave options that empower you to be a force for good, take time to recharge and supports you personally
Check out lifeatcanva.com for more info.
Other stuff to know
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.
Please note that interviews are conducted virtually.