We’re constantly working towards making Canva the best place to work, for everyone. We believe deeply that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key for building the best product for our equally diverse community all around the world. We celebrate uniqueness and whatever makes you, you and encourage everyone who wants to help us transform the way the world designs, to join us on this journey. We value all different types of experiences. If you don’t think you quite meet all of the qualifications, we’d still love to hear from you. About Us
At Canva, our mission is to democratise design and empower creativity for anyone and everyone, on every platform. Inspired by a team of talented thinkers, an amazing culture and a remarkable growth trajectory – we’re out to change the world, one design at a time.
Since launch in August 2013, we have grown exponentially, amassing over 60 million monthly active users across 190 different countries who have created more than 6 Billion designs. We are one of the world’s fastest-growing technology companies and we have only achieved about 1% of what we want to do.
The Education Team is responsible for student and teacher users around the world in our “Canva for Education” product. Our mission is to empower creativity and collaboration in every learner.
Recently we have been rolling out to large Education Districts by enabling seamless sign-on for their users into Canva. As we scale, we have learned that a dedicated team is required to further develop our rostering capabilities and administrative tooling, driving us forward toward our goal of reaching every US school district in the next 18 months.Why You?
You will be a Senior Back End Engineer at the same time as being a Hands on Coach and Mentor to a specialised squad focused on one of the core Canva Growth Initiatives in Education. You will love the Coaching and Mentoring aspect of the role and be able to bring this squad of 4-5 Engineers to deliver some pretty big goals. What you will be doing!
You will be rolling out projects across the USA into Education Districts focused on syncing millions of data points across classrooms, users, and admins.The main focus point will be on SSO (Single Sign On) so experience with Okta, Google Workspace and Azure Active Directory would be a massive advantage along with prior experience with an EduTech organisation.You will be working with the District Engagement Managers very closely as they will be aligning communications on the ground.You will be solving some pretty interesting Software Engineering issues whilst enabling Canva to meet some very BIG GOALS ready to roll out across Europe and Australia. Impact - You will be driving one of the Core Canva Visions to fruition on a Global scale.
Responsibilities and Background
- As a team lead, you will guide the design and implementation of some our major projects including OneRoster / Clever classroom syncing, improved SSO capability and an “Admin Hub” dashboard for District IT administrators to assist with the large-scale deployment of Canva
- As an experienced backend engineer, help troubleshoot issues and deliver timely fixes for large District accounts as they enable Canva’s Enterprise features
- Develop systems and processes to minimise the workload of the team and further increase our weekly rollout capacity
- Guide and mentor people on the team and help them grow out their skills and knowledge
Perks and benefits: - Competitive salary, plus stock options via our ESOP plan- Flexible daily working hours, we value work-life balance- Breakfast and lunch prepared by our wonderful Vibe team in Sydney HQ- Onsite-Gym and Yoga MembershipEnd-of-Trip Facilities: Bicycle parking and showers- Generous parental (including secondary) leave policy- Pet-friendly offices- Internal Coaching and Employee Support Programs- Sponsored social clubs, team events, and celebrations This role is open to remote applicants within Australia that do not need visa sponsorship. We will require occasional travel to Sydney up to three times per quarter, once it is safe to do so. The Canva workspace is set up for you to do your best work and have a great time doing so, with breakout areas, little nooks, and quiet places to retreat.
- Required Experience and Background
- Comfortable and happy to code in Java as the core language
- Deep knowledge and understanding of Computer Engineering fundamentals and first principles
- Experience with Observability tooling - having competency with tools like Datadog, Elasticsearch, Kibana, Loggly, Sentry or similar
- The ability to guide and mentor other members within the team and improve the way we collaborate, learn, and share ideas
- This role requires a lot of documentation and internal client-facing; therefore strong written and verbal communication skills are required
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion. If you’re keen to apply and need reasonable adjustments or would like to note which pronouns you use at any point in the application or interview process, please let us know.