Join the team redefining how the world experiences design.
Hey, g'day, mabuhay, kia ora,你好, hallo, vítejte!
Thanks for stopping by. We know job hunting can be a little time consuming and you're probably keen to find out what's on offer, so we'll get straight to the point.
Where and how you can work
Our flagship campus is in Sydney. We also have a campus in Melbourne and co-working spaces in Brisbane, Perth and Adelaide. But you have choice in where and how you work. That means if you want to do your thing in the office (if you're near one), at home or a bit of both, it's up to you.
What you’d be doing in this role
As Canva scales change continues to be part of our DNA. But we like to think that's all part of the fun. So this will give you the flavour of the type of things you'll be working on when you start, but this will likely evolve.
About The Team
Canva is looking for a new Senior Legal Counsel to be part of our highly motivated, tight-knit, and collaborative global legal team. This role will be part of the Intellectual Property (IP) specialty team and will be responsible for commercial IP matters, including content licensing and brand partnerships, IP-related terms and conditions for the Canva platform, and supporting our Commercial Legal team with contract negotiations involving IP.
The IP Legal team is involved in some of Canva's most exciting product developments, from bringing pop music to the design experience, to introducing generative AI tools to enhance the creative process. This is an exciting time to join the team and be involved in innovative legal work.
What you'll do
- Draft and negotiate commercial contracts with a focus on IP licenses (such as visual content and music license agreements and brand partnerships)
- Support the Commercial Legal team with IP-related aspects of contract negotiations
- Be responsible for IP-related terms and conditions for the Canva platform, including app developer terms and contributor agreements
- Provide advice on open source software licensing and assist with the management of Canva’s open source policies
- Support the Corporate Legal team with intercompany agreements
- Other IP advice and support as needed across the business
- Commercial IP lawyer with experience gained in-house or at a law firm
- Skilled at contract drafting and negotiation, including of IP license agreements
- Experience directly managing and/or informally mentoring team members
- A desire to be proactive and solve problems
- The ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment
- A confident communicator who can translate complex legal concepts into practical solutions
- An interest in AI and machine learning technologies
- Experience with open source licensing and/or music licensing will be looked at favourably
What's in it for you?
Achieving our crazy big goals motivates us to work hard - and we do - but you'll experience lots of moments of magic, connectivity and fun woven throughout life at Canva, too. We also offer a stack of benefits to set you up for every success in and outside of work.
Here's a taste of what's on offer:
• Equity packages - we want our success to be yours too
• Inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents & carers
• An annual Vibe & Thrive allowance to support your wellbeing, social connection, office setup & more
• Flexible leave options that empower you to be a force for good, take time to recharge and supports you personally
Check out lifeatcanva.com for more info.
Other stuff to know
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.
Please note that interviews are conducted virtually.