Join the team redefining how the world experiences design.
Hey, g'day, mabuhay, kia ora,你好, hallo, vítejte!
Thanks for stopping by. We know job hunting can be a little time consuming and you're probably keen to find out what's on offer, so we'll get straight to the point.
Where and how you can work
Our flagship campus is in Sydney. We also have a campus in Melbourne and co-working spaces in Brisbane, Perth and Adelaide. But you have choice in where and how you work. That means if you want to do your thing in the office (if you're near one), at home or a bit of both, it's up to you.
What you’d be doing in this role
As Canva scales change continues to be part of our DNA. But we like to think that's all part of the fun. So this will give you the flavour of the type of things you'll be working on when you start, but this will likely evolve.
About the Team You’ll be Joining
Our mission is to empower Canva to build Design AI magical product experiences which include supporting the needs of all Design AI teams from dataset perspective, doing R&D work ourselves, as well as immediate feature delivery. The Applied Scientists working in the Design Enablement team are responsible for researching and developing AI/ML solutions for the user-facing features, such as AI-assisted design generation and editing, at Canva in the Design AI space.
2023 is an incredible time to join the team. Design AI is one of the key strategic initiatives for Canva. Our team is small but growing rapidly. We build models that would be core of user experience, and support MLEs across many teams from platform prospective.
We are looking for Applied Scientists with a research and machine learning background and knowledge of large language models (LLMs), and who thrive in fast-paced high-energy environments, to help us support Design AI projects through applied R&D - identify the data needs and using the said data to research and develop an AI solution for a Design AI feature.
What you will do
- Identify data requirements for solving Design AI problems
- Research and develop custom ML/AI solutions for Design AI tools and features
- Integrate existing ML solutions to Design AI pipeline, when necessary
- Work together with machine learning engineers (MLEs) to productionize ML models at scale
- Collaborate with other Applied Scientists and MLEs at Canva and share knowledge in Design AI
What you bring
- More than 3 years of Industry experience in researching and developing ML/AI models
- Good understanding of transformers, generative models, such Stable Diffusion, a variety of LLMs, etc.
- Strong understanding of Computer Science/Engineering fundamentals and first principles covering system design, data structures, architecture, and design patterns
- Strong coding proficiency in Python
- Good understanding of the life cycle of machine learning models
- Familiarity with ML technologies like Jupyter Notebook
- Strong communication skills to document and present ideas clearly and to share knowledge across Canva
- Coding proficiency with SQL
- Experience with Snowflake
- Familiarity with ML technologies like Airflow, Argo workflow, Mlflow, Sagemaker
- Familiarity with the CI/CD concepts, the life cycle of web applications
Perks and Benefits
- Flexible daily working hours, we value work-life balance
- Breakfast and lunch prepared by our wonderful Vibe team
- Onsite-Gym and Yoga Membership
- End-of-Trip Facilities: Bicycle parking and showers
- Generous parental (including secondary) leave policy
- Pet-friendly offices
- Sponsored social clubs, team events and celebrations
- Relocation budget for interstate or overseas individuals (see below for visa information)
If you're seeking professional growth and enjoy working on large, distributed, cloud-based applications that delight our millions of individual and business users alike - then apply now to be considered for the position!
If you require visa sponsorship, you must ensure you have at least two (2) years of post-University commercial experience as a Software Engineer and meet the mandatory sponsorship requirements
laid out by Department of Home Affairs.
We will not accept or review any CVs from external recruitment agencies.
What's in it for you?
Achieving our crazy big goals motivates us to work hard - and we do - but you'll experience lots of moments of magic, connectivity and fun woven throughout life at Canva, too. We also offer a stack of benefits to set you up for every success in and outside of work.
Here's a taste of what's on offer:
• Equity packages - we want our success to be yours too
• Inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents & carers
• An annual Vibe & Thrive allowance to support your wellbeing, social connection, office setup & more
• Flexible leave options that empower you to be a force for good, take time to recharge and supports you personally
Check out lifeatcanva.com for more info.
Other stuff to know
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.
Please note that interviews are conducted virtually.