Join the team redefining how the world experiences design.
Hey, g'day, mabuhay, kia ora,你好, hallo, vítejte!
Thanks for stopping by. We know job hunting can be a little time consuming and you're probably keen to find out what's on offer, so we'll get straight to the point.
Where and how you can work
Our flagship campus is in Sydney. We also have a campus in Melbourne and co-working spaces in Brisbane, Perth and Adelaide. But you have choice in where and how you work. That means if you want to do your thing in the office (if you're near one), at home or a bit of both, it's up to you.
What you’d be doing in this role
As Canva scales change continues to be part of our DNA. But we like to think that's all part of the fun. So this will give you the flavour of the type of things you'll be working on when you start, but this will likely evolve.
At Canva, our users are at the heart of everything we do. Our UX Research team plays a vital role in the vision and success of our company. One of the best things about Canva is how much everyone across the business cares about users and improving their experience - you’ll never have to sell anyone on the value of user research.
Our team conducts qualitative and quantitative research to inform design decisions, product strategies, and identify opportunities. We believe that research findings are most powerful when they’re out of reports, and actively being applied and used by product teams. Researchers partner with PMs, designers, engineers, and marketers to help them better understand Canva’s multi-faceted user base, solve complex challenges, and improve the product experience for millions of users worldwide.
Our research team is diverse, collaborative, and supportive. We each bring unique strengths and interests to the group and encourage each other to grow in our craft every day.
The Design Experience team at Canva is on a mission to build powerful, yet simple tools that empower anyone to design anything. We work on the core editing components and tools that people around the world use to design everything from social media graphics, to documents, to videos and more.Pursuing our mission not only supports our existing user base, but we believe will also empower people from around the globe to find and use Canva for the first time; contributing directly to our company-critical Monthly Active User targets.
- Strategy & Vision. You'll work closely with product teams to define and articulate the product strategy and vision based on your findings
- Collaborate. You'll work closely with the design research lead to establish metrics of success to assess a holistic and consistent experience across all touch points.
- Develop the product features. You'll impact millions of users by informing product decisions that guide teams to clarity.
- Iterate. You'll gather learnings to share with teams, empowering them to iterate on new solutions
Desired Experience & Skiills
- You're a qualitative researcher with extensive experience leading research studies: planning, recruiting, carrying out, analyzing, and activating. We expect to hear examples of how your research influenced product and design team decision-making.
- Excellent understanding of usability research methodologies (eg. A/B testing, card sorting, heuristic evaluation, tree testing etc) including experience in defining success metrics and determining best benchmarking practices. Additionally, you have experience using methodologies such as interviews, diary studies, surveys, and know when these are best used. You combine these with data sources like product data, experiments, support tickets to understand user needs holistically.
- You’re thrive in a fast paced work environment that requires outstanding problem-solving skills and autonomy.
- You have the ability to flex research plans depending on team needs, understanding and clearly communicating trade-offs.
- You enjoy closely collaborating with partners throughout projects, and consider bringing them along the journey to be an essential part of the process.
- You have experience mentoring and helping designers and PMs become better researchers, such as providing feedback on research plans, interview technique, or final reports.
- Excellent communication and facilitation skills. Whether it’s during a workshop, presentation, or even a Slack message - you have a highly developed ability to rally a team together and inspire change.
- You may also have:
Quantitative research experience where your quantitative research has had impact and informed product decisions
What's in it for you?
Achieving our crazy big goals motivates us to work hard - and we do - but you'll experience lots of moments of magic, connectivity and fun woven throughout life at Canva, too. We also offer a stack of benefits to set you up for every success in and outside of work.
Here's a taste of what's on offer:
• Equity packages - we want our success to be yours too
• Inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents & carers
• An annual Vibe & Thrive allowance to support your wellbeing, social connection, office setup & more
• Flexible leave options that empower you to be a force for good, take time to recharge and supports you personally
Check out lifeatcanva.com for more info.
Other stuff to know
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.
Please note that interviews are conducted virtually.