We’re constantly working towards making Canva the best place to work, for everyone. We believe deeply that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key for building the best product for our equally diverse community all around the world. We celebrate uniqueness and whatever makes you, you and encourage everyone who wants to help us transform the way the world designs, to join us on this journey. We value all different types of experiences. If you don’t think you quite meet all of the qualifications, we’d still love to hear from you.
About UsAt Canva, our mission is to democratise design and empower creativity for anyone and everyone, on every platform. Inspired by a team of talented thinkers, an amazing culture and a remarkable growth trajectory – we’re out to change the world, one design at a time.
Since launch in August 2013, we have grown exponentially, amassing over 60 million monthly active users across 190 different countries who have created more than 6 Billion designs. We are one of the world’s fastest-growing technology companies and we have only achieved about 1% of what we want to do.
About the group and/or team
We solve mission-critical engineering problems, supporting the future growth of Canva in China. There’s a whole different market/internet ecosystem in China. We need a team and a strong leader in China who is the most familiar with local business and closest to the market to act quickly and autonomously to local demand. (e.g: QR code features, CJK, font-subsetting etc.)We have a very good engineering culture. The best solution wins, not who suggested it. We are constantly learning and improving our product. We celebrate every goal we achieve.
About the candidate
We’re looking for candidates who have passion for programming, aiming for pragmatic excellence, with sophisticated communication skills.
Goals the candidate will achieve in the first 6-12 months
0-6 month goals
- Goal #1Start with small onboarding tasks to get familiar with the tech stack and the development process in Canva.
- Goal #2solve some complex tasks and build domain knowledge on some specific areas.
- Goal #3Finish 1-2 complex goals and build sophisticated domain knowledge 1-2 areas.
6-12 month goals
- Able to work on complex goals with sophisticated domain knowledge on some areas.
- Communicate across teams effectively and be able to drive things forward.
- Align with business stakeholders and execute on strategy by setting roadmaps for teams, hiring and coaching
- Hands-on design, development, and deployment of software solutions within the Growth domain
- Driving technical strategy and providing leadership to your team in a fast-paced innovation-focused environment
- Drive delivery of large-scale projects from ideation to completion within start-up time frames to develop new features and products - while also ensuring Canva’s overall reliability, performance, security, and stability
- Develop and grow a team of 10 - 15 Canvanauts through effective hiring, coaching, succession planning, and retention strategies
- Inspire and coach teams to innovate, invent, implement and deploy complex software solutions in a complex distributed and mission-critical environment
- Promote a safe and healthy culture with a focus on collaboration and open communication, and a good work-life balance
- Set up and run ongoing feedback sessions, initiatives to help drive a healthy code review culture, knowledge sharing, pairing, design showcases, and helping improve processes through retrospectives
Experience the candidate will have
- Experience with technical and people leadership - having previously led small high-performing teams.
- Coding proficiency and well as previous experience as a software engineer with a specialization in frontend
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; with the ability to work with a diverse range of individuals from different backgrounds and with different professional and personal needs
- Demonstrable product and commercial acumen
- Be capable of leading by example - promoting Canva’s values, no-blame mentality, and inclusive culture
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion. If you’re keen to apply and need reasonable adjustments or would like to note which pronouns you use at any point in the application or interview process, please let us know.