Join the team redefining how the world experiences design.
Hey, g'day, mabuhay, kia ora,你好, hallo, vítejte!
Thanks for stopping by. We know job hunting can be a little time consuming and you're probably keen to find out what's on offer, so we'll get straight to the point.
Where and how you can work
Our flagship campus is in Sydney. We also have a campus in Melbourne and co-working spaces in Brisbane, Perth and Adelaide. But you have choice in where and how you work. That means if you want to do your thing in the office (if you're near one), at home or a bit of both, it's up to you.
What you’d be doing in this role
As Canva scales change continues to be part of our DNA. But we like to think that's all part of the fun. So this will give you the flavour of the type of things you'll be working on when you start, but this will likely evolve.
About the team
Canva is seeking a Privacy and Product Counsel who will support our People (HR) team. The role will report into the Lead Counsel, Product and you will have the opportunity to collaborate and learn from other experienced counsel in the team.
In this role you will be challenged to look at the big picture to find innovative processes and product changes to drive product compliance in a fast-paced, growth focussed environment. You will be encouraged to understand not just what the law says, but also industry and enforcement trends. You’ll help Canva see around corners to prepare for upcoming regulatory changes and influence how the business responds to those changes.
You'll work to support the People team on privacy matters across important areas including Diversity & Inclusion, Global Mobility, Growth & Impact, Learning, People Ops, Talent Acquisition, Rewards and more!
What you'll do
- Advise the People Team on various privacy issues related to employee management, diversity and inclusion, benefits, candidate recruitment and marketing, including the completion of Privacy Impact Assessments
- Actively monitor privacy laws (including the Australian Privacy Act, GDPR and CPRA) and provide guidance on privacy matters related to Canva’s global talent acquisition program
- Work closely with other Canva business and legal functions to develop internal policies and programs to drive privacy awareness and compliance of all matters related to the People Team
- Provide regular training and build continuous learning initiatives to enable privacy awareness
- Assist with the assessment and resolution of data incidents (we have an on-call roster)
- Be the eyes and ears for the legal team and refer out matters to other legal specialities where required, including employment, commercial and intellectual property specialists
- Advise on data processing agreements with vendors, due diligence and high risk Transfer Impact Assessments
We'd love it if you had
- You have a strong technical background and significant hands-on product counselling and privacy experience, ideally advising on candidate and employee privacy matters, within an in-house environment or a law firm with technology clients.
- A deep understanding of key regulations globally (e.g. GDPR, Data Protection Act (UK), ePrivacy Directive, Australian Privacy Principles, Australian Consumer Law).
- You are able to influence stakeholders to prioritise compliance and have experience doing this with leaders and stakeholders across product, engineering and People/HR.
- Experience working in a global company with laws team and stakeholders based in different jurisdictions.
- Certified Information Privacy Professional or commitment to obtain certification within 3 months of joining.
What's in it for you?
Achieving our crazy big goals motivates us to work hard - and we do - but you'll experience lots of moments of magic, connectivity and fun woven throughout life at Canva, too. We also offer a stack of benefits to set you up for every success in and outside of work.
Here's a taste of what's on offer:
• Equity packages - we want our success to be yours too
• Inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents & carers
• An annual Vibe & Thrive allowance to support your wellbeing, social connection, office setup & more
• Flexible leave options that empower you to be a force for good, take time to recharge and supports you personally
Check out lifeatcanva.com for more info.
Other stuff to know
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.
Please note that interviews are conducted virtually.