Join the team redefining how the world experiences design.
Hey, g'day, mabuhay, kia ora,你好, hallo, vítejte!
Thanks for stopping by. We know job hunting can be a little time consuming and you're probably keen to find out what's on offer, so we'll get straight to the point.
Where and how you can work
Our flagship campus is in Sydney. We also have a campus in Melbourne and co-working spaces in Brisbane, Perth and Adelaide. But you have choice in where and how you work. That means if you want to do your thing in the office (if you're near one), at home or a bit of both, it's up to you.
What you’d be doing in this role
As Canva scales change continues to be part of our DNA. But we like to think that's all part of the fun. So this will give you the flavour of the type of things you'll be working on when you start, but this will likely evolve.
You will proactively search for and identify high impact problems to solve through research and user empathy. You will use and encourage your team to use data and user feedback to inform team decisions.
You are comfortable with taking on new perspectives to solve complex problems whilst evaluating the merits of your solution based on the analysis of multiple sources of information.
You will seek out and collaborate with design, engineering and product stakeholders across the business to ensure a cohesive vision for the future across parallel initiatives.
You will exercise your craft, identifying and producing the necessary visual assets to effectively communicate and test your solutions in order to arrive at high quality designs that are simple, elegant, inclusive and accessible.
You will recognise and help your team to understand the medium and long term impact of your recommended design decisions, guiding the team to resolve conflicting priorities and recognise where compromises are needed to deliver value incrementally.
The skills & experience that we are looking for
- 5+ years experience of end-to-end product design. You have a track-record of tackling complex problems and delivering simple, elegant solutions.
- Knowledge and experience with advanced photo editing methodologies (this is certainly a plus!). You are inspired to push the boundaries to create new experiences our customers can discover and fall in love with in this space.
- Effective communication skills. You have experience communicating future design directions with stakeholders and inspiring positive action within your team to bring the vision to life.
- Strong visual communication skills. You have experience communicating ideas and information that visually inspire, influence and tell a compelling story.
- A collaborative approach. You have experience working closely with other Designers, Engineers and Product Managers. You value feedback and brainstorming ideas.
- Experience conducting user research and usability testing. You're skilled in turning the outcomes from research into data to drive your design solutions.
- Interaction Design Experience. You're able to use the appropriate prototyping tools to demonstrate how a particular flow or interaction will work.
- You excel in UI Design. You have experience creating strong visual designs that align with brand and design systems.
- Data Fluency. You have experience using data to evaluate user problems, inform your design solutions and measure success.
- Stakeholder Management. You have experience dealing with broad stakeholder groups and know when to bring the right people together to achieve common goals.
- Strong engineering literacy. You have experience working with engineers unpacking feasibility and making trade-offs where required.
- Inclusivity. You have a strong sense of design ethics - understanding that the design decisions we make at Canva impact millions of lives, every day.
- Growth Mindset. You're eager to learn and develop your skills whilst having fun along the way!
Goals that you will achieve
- Conduct an audit of our current photo editor experience to identify areas for improvement and potential opportunities.
- Collaborate with the team to develop exceptional photo effects and tools.
- Conduct usability tests and gather user feedback to determine any new requirements needed to optimise our core photo editing features.
- Work with our product team to define effects that our users will enjoy and benefit from.
- Evaluate and prioritise validated speculative features for optimisation.
- Establish design requirements and milestones to transform minimal viable solutions into indispensable ones.
- Collaborate closely with PMs/Engineers and key stakeholders to define and execute approved designs.
About the Product Design team
One of the principles of our design team is to ‘show the future’. As designers we transport the rest of the company into a future we are yet to build. A big part of the role of a product designer at Canva is to be a visionary—visualising and reinventing the future of design.
Product designers at Canva take the dream and make it something everyone can relate to and rally behind. We start from the very early stages: finding the right problem to tackle, exploring ideas for how to solve it and then refining it into a coherent solution. Our product designers carry out research, brainstorming, sketching, prototyping, and collaboration with our engineers to ship great products. We are empathetic user advocates and respect our users’ opinions through interviews, usability testing, and data analysis, as well as wireframing, flowcharting, and journey mapping to show the different stages that customers go through as they come into contact with Canva.
About the Photo Editing Group
The Photo Editing Group is committed to providing our users with the most innovative and cutting-edge tools to enhance their creative process. We understand that photo editing is an essential part of the design process, and our goal is to make this process as seamless as possible.
With our latest photo editor experience, we have introduced a variety of new features that are already getting great feedback from our users. Our state-of-the-art graphics and AI/ML techniques enable users to transform their vision into stunning visuals with ease.
We are constantly working to improve our platform and provide our users with the best possible experience. Our team is dedicated to staying ahead of the competition, and we are excited to see what new features and enhancements we can bring to our users in the future.
Check this out 👇 ✨
About the Photo Effects team
Our photo editing experience would not be complete without the invaluable contribution of our Photo Effects Team. This dedicated group of skilled engineers have created many of our most beloved effects and tools, including the popular Shadows tool, our re-built and versatile adjustments, and the creative Duotone effect. Working collaboratively, they possess extensive domain knowledge in this area, as well as ambitious ideas and the talent to turn them into reality.
What's in it for you?
Achieving our crazy big goals motivates us to work hard - and we do - but you'll experience lots of moments of magic, connectivity and fun woven throughout life at Canva, too. We also offer a stack of benefits to set you up for every success in and outside of work.
Here's a taste of what's on offer:
• Equity packages - we want our success to be yours too
• Inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents & carers
• An annual Vibe & Thrive allowance to support your wellbeing, social connection, office setup & more
• Flexible leave options that empower you to be a force for good, take time to recharge and supports you personally
Check out lifeatcanva.com for more info.
Other stuff to know
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.
Please note that interviews are conducted virtually.