Join the team redefining how the world experiences design.
Hey, g'day, mabuhay, kia ora,你好, hallo, vítejte!
Thanks for stopping by. We know job hunting can be a little time consuming and you're probably keen to find out what's on offer, so we'll get straight to the point.
Where and how you can work
Our flagship campus is in Sydney. We also have a campus in Melbourne and co-working spaces in Brisbane, Perth and Adelaide. But you have choice in where and how you work. That means if you want to do your thing in the office (if you're near one), at home or a bit of both, it's up to you.
What you’d be doing in this role
As Canva scales change continues to be part of our DNA. But we like to think that's all part of the fun. So this will give you the flavour of the type of things you'll be working on when you start, but this will likely evolve.
About Identity & Access Software Engineers
At Canva, we’re all constantly striving towards our Crazy Big Goals! As the features and services of our product suite evolve, we’re setting some large and ambitious goals. We need to be able to ship robust and secure features without sacrificing speed and scale of delivery, which is where our Backend Engineers come in.
As a Backend Engineer in Identity and Access, it is your mission to build identity, authentication and authorisation systems that make the “secure path” the easiest path for software engineers and all Canvanauts to follow.
About the Security Group
The Security Group is responsible for protecting Canva systems and data from information security threats. Our teams work together, and with other groups, to deliver preventive and detective controls and processes that reduce security risk.
The group runs programs across Identity and Access Management, Application Security, Risk Management, Threat Detection, Response and Red Teams.
What you'll be doing!
- Engineer Identity and Access Management solutions for our large-scale, cloud-native and SaaS application stack, from ideation to completion supported by the Identity and Access team.
- Provide strong ownership to the authentication and authorisation platform that the Identity and Access team own.
- Explore streamlined ways to provide short-term, time-bound access to critical systems that are approved and audited.
- Respond to Red Team activities by designing and implementing mitigating controls, burning their tools, tactics and procedures.
- Support a security-first engineering culture by making the optimally secure solution the easiest one for software engineering teams to use.
- Developing and iterating on technical proposals – outlining how solutions will be structured and developed.
- Developing solutions you’ve designed from the ground up through to deployment into production.
- Identifying and addressing performance bottlenecks within the application and broader infrastructure.
- Participating in design meetings, hiring interviews, and code reviews.
- Performance debugging, benchmarking and building awesome things in general.
- Fluency and demonstrable working experience (2+ years) with languages such as Golang or Java for backend development.
- Firmly grounded computer science and engineering fundamentals including concurrency, multithreading, data structures, solution design, architecture, and design patterns.
- Working collaboratively with team members and communicating effectively.
- Good writing and verbal communication skills.
Beneficial Experience (Not Required, but Helpful):
- Any experience with identity management protocols (OIDC, OAuth, SAML) or an interest in Security Engineering.
- Experience in cloud-based environments (AWS, Google Cloud, Azure) with a working knowledge of broad infrastructure functions - CI/CD pipelines, automation, site reliability etc.
What's in it for you?
Achieving our crazy big goals motivates us to work hard - and we do - but you'll experience lots of moments of magic, connectivity and fun woven throughout life at Canva, too. We also offer a stack of benefits to set you up for every success in and outside of work.
Here's a taste of what's on offer:
• Equity packages - we want our success to be yours too
• Inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents & carers
• An annual Vibe & Thrive allowance to support your wellbeing, social connection, office setup & more
• Flexible leave options that empower you to be a force for good, take time to recharge and supports you personally
Check out lifeatcanva.com for more info.
Other stuff to know
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.
Please note that interviews are conducted virtually.