We’re constantly working towards making Canva the best place to work, for everyone. We believe deeply that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key for building the best product for our equally diverse community all around the world. We celebrate uniqueness and whatever makes you, you and encourage everyone who wants to help us transform the way the world designs, to join us on this journey. We value all different types of experiences. If you don’t think you quite meet all of the qualifications, we’d still love to hear from you.
At Canva, our mission is to democratise design and empower creativity for anyone and everyone, on every platform. Inspired by a team of talented thinkers, an amazing culture and a remarkable growth trajectory – we’re out to change the world, one design at a time.
Since launch in August 2013, we have grown exponentially, amassing over 60 million monthly active users across 190 different countries who have created more than 6 Billion designs. We are one of the world’s fastest-growing technology companies and we have only achieved about 1% of what we want to do.
About the Group and Team
The Canva Pro Group is responsible for the entire product and growth direction for our primary paid subscription, which drives much of our revenue. We're seeking a Technical Team Lead working within the Online Presence Team to champion the problem space that will see us break into helping Small Business Owners, set up their online presence, and work closely with a cross-disciplinary team to rapidly execute on that vision.
The role will be a mix of 50% hands-on technical leadership and hands-on development and 50% people leadership so you will still be able to get your hands dirty in the code. This role is based in Sydney, open to remote applicants within Australia, and qualifies for interstate relocation for those who wish to work from Sydney HQ.
About You - Role Responsibilities
- About You:
- As a Technical Team Lead you will be a seasoned Full Stack leaning on Front End OR a Solid Front End - Principal Engineer who has taken on a more senior people and teams outcomes focused role.
- You will have worked in Product / SaaS based companies working on complex Web Build projects.
- Your coaching and mentoring capability does not stop at the Technical Code Review and 1:1 reviews but extends out to the Facilitation and Coaching exceptionally High Performing Teams, Solving Seriously Complex Software Engineering Issues.
- You will be able to facilitate and coach the direction of a cutting edge project, managing an exceptional team with a diverse range of views. The diversity of thinking and views makes this position intriguing and interesting.
- This is not a Fix a Broken Team role it is an Enable a Highly Functioning Engineering Team to meet the Business Requirements on a never before done project.
- As a career move this role offers support and narrative for the right person to grow and develop into an Engineering Manager role.
- You will have support from all the top tier business units and an exceptional Canva Leadership Team
- Role and Responsibilities
- Develop and execute technical strategies and road maps by overseeing and driving delivery of highly complex projects focused on the delivery of tools to help our customers maintain an online presence
- Drive planning and refinement of seasonal goals, ensuring there is alignment between the company, group, and teams
- Foster a culture of communication, bridging the communication gap between teams, group, and company leadership
- Invest in working with engineers on growth and development opportunities to help further their skill set and grow into new roles, with an ability to deliver relevant and timely feedback (positive & constructive) to help them continuously improve and learn
- Be heavily involved in hiring; build and grow high-performing and highly engaged teams of world-class engineers by attracting, interviewing, and selecting talent for your group
- Coordinating and communicating across various specialties and parts of the business to understand the impact and feasibility of strategic goals within the group
- Drive delivery of large, cross-team, and cross-group initiatives and projects from ideation to completion
Required Skills and Experience
- Two or more (2+) years of technical and people leadership
- Experience working in high-performing and collaborative teams where everyone is able to share their best ideas and be their best selves
- Previous experience as a Software Engineer - in tune with software engineering fundamentals and first principles; comfortable contributing to design documents and performing thorough code reviews
- Previous experience developing cloud-based / SaaS products
- A healthy balance of strong technical and people leadership skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; with the ability to work with a diverse range of individuals from different backgrounds, with different expertise, and with different professional and personal needs
- Strong customer focus to understand the use cases and requirements of internal stakeholders, and identify opportunities to empower them to do their best work
- Be capable of leading by example - promoting Canva’s values, no-blame mentality, and engineering values.
- Experience in responsive web technologies, SEO / accessibility
- Experience in eCommerce, CRM, Design Tools (Graphics, Web, CAD, etc)
- Cloudflare experience wold be highly desirable
Perks & Benefits
- Competitive salary, plus stock options via our ESOP plan
- Flexible daily working hours, we value work-life balance
- Breakfast and lunch prepared by our wonderful Vibe team in Sydney HQ
- Onsite-Gym and Yoga Membership
- End-of-Trip Facilities: Bicycle parking and showers
- Generous parental (including secondary) leave policy
- Pet-friendly offices
- Internal Coaching and Employee Support Programs
- Sponsored social clubs, team events, and celebrations
- Interstate relocation assistance
This role is open to remote applicants within Australia that do not need visa sponsorship. We will require occasional travel to Sydney once it is safe to do so.
We will not accept or review any CVs from external recruitment agencies.
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion. If you’re keen to apply and need reasonable adjustments or would like to note which pronouns you use at any point in the application or interview process, please let us know.