We’re constantly working towards making Canva the best place to work, for everyone. We believe deeply that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key for building the best product for our equally diverse community all around the world. We celebrate uniqueness and whatever makes you, you and encourage everyone who wants to help us transform the way the world designs, to join us on this journey. We value all different types of experiences. If you don’t think you quite meet all of the qualifications, we’d still love to hear from you.
At Canva, our mission is to democratise design and empower creativity for anyone and everyone, on every platform. Inspired by a team of talented thinkers, an amazing culture and a remarkable growth trajectory – we’re out to change the world, one design at a time.
Since launch in August 2013, we have grown exponentially, amassing over 60 million monthly active users across 190 different countries who have created more than 6 Billion designs. We are one of the world’s fastest-growing technology companies and we have only achieved about 1% of what we want to do.
Canva’s intuitive suite of design products is powered by our large distributed cloud infrastructure in AWS. As the features and services of our product suite evolve, we’re setting some large and ambitious goals and thus, are seeking multiple Technical Team Leads to ensure that our infrastructure engineering teams continue to deliver at speed and scale.
The role will be a mix of 50% hands-on technical direction and software development and 50% people leadership so you will still be able to get your hands dirty in the code.
This role is based in Sydney, open to remote applicants within Australia, and qualifies for interstate relocation for those who wish to work from Sydney HQ.
- Drive delivery of large-scale cloud, infrastructure, and developer tooling projects from ideation to completion within start-up time frames to ensure Canva’s overall reliability, performance, security, and stability
- Driving technical strategy and providing leadership to your team in a fast-paced innovation-focused environment
- Develop and grow a team of 5 to 8 Canvanauts (software engineers) through effective hiring, coaching, succession planning, and retention strategies
- Inspire infrastructure teams to innovate, invent, implement and deploy complex software solutions in a complex distributed and mission-critical environment
- Promote a safe and healthy culture with a focus on collaboration and open communication
- Set up and run ongoing feedback sessions, initiatives to help drive a healthy code review culture, knowledge sharing, design showcases, and helping improve processes through retrospectives
- Experience with technical and people leadership - having previously led high-performing teams where everyone is able to share their best ideas and be their best selves
- Experience as a Software Engineer, and happy to code in Python or Java; as this role has significant software development responsibilities
- Previous experience in cloud-based environments (AWS, Google Cloud, Azure) with a working knowledge of broad infrastructure functions - CI/CD pipelines, automation, site reliability, security, etc
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; with the ability to work with a diverse range of individuals from different backgrounds and with different professional and personal needs
- Be capable of leading by example - promoting Canva’s values, no-blame mentality, and engineering values
- Subject-matter expertise of Amazon Web Services and associated technologies and products within the AWS ecosystem
- Deep understanding of CI, Build, and Deployment Systems; or previous experience in automation and building Developer Tools
- Previous experience establishing, growing, and developing new teams from the ground up
Perks and Benefits
- Competitive salary, plus stock options via our ESOP plan
- Flexible daily working hours, we value work-life balance
- Breakfast and lunch prepared by our wonderful Vibe team
- Onsite-Gym and Yoga Membership
- End-of-Trip Facilities: Bicycle parking and showers
- Generous parental (including secondary) leave policy
- Pet-friendly offices
- Internal Coaching and Employee Support Programs
- Sponsored social clubs, team events, and celebrations
Remote applicants will require occasional travel to Sydney up to three times per quarter, once it is safe to do so.
We will not accept or review any CVs from external recruitment agencies.
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion. If you’re keen to apply and need reasonable adjustments or would like to note which pronouns you use at any point in the application or interview process, please let us know.