We’re constantly working towards making Canva the best place to work, for everyone. We believe deeply that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key for building the best product for our equally diverse community all around the world. We celebrate uniqueness and whatever makes you, you and encourage everyone who wants to help us transform the way the world designs, to join us on this journey. We value all different types of experiences. If you don’t think you quite meet all of the qualifications, we’d still love to hear from you.
At Canva, our mission is to democratise design and empower creativity for anyone and everyone, on every platform. Inspired by a team of talented thinkers, an amazing culture and a remarkable growth trajectory – we’re out to change the world, one design at a time.
Since launch in August 2013, we have grown exponentially, amassing over 60 million monthly active users across 190 different countries who have created more than 6 Billion designs. We are one of the world’s fastest-growing technology companies and we have only achieved about 1% of what we want to do.
The Discover Group is a core component of the Canva user experience. They are responsible for providing the “shop front” that allows all of Canva's amazing templates, images, stickers, video, audio, etc, to be discovered inside and outside Canva. With that, they also own key in-product surfaces to allow users to discover content before they start their design.
With a growth mindset, we focus on showing our best content to users new to Canva, working with SEO Experts to power our organic growth engineering. We support over 60M public Canva pages (and rapidly growing), our group is key in ensuring that every user in every locale can find the content they need to create amazing designs. With so much content, surfacing the right ingredients to the right user, at the right time will be critical for the future success of Canva.
The role will be a mix of 50% hands-on technical leadership and hands-on development and 50% people leadership so you will still be able to get your hands dirty in the code if you want to. This role is based in Sydney, open to remote applicants within Australia, and qualifies for interstate relocation for those who wish to work from Sydney HQ.
- Hands-on design, development, and deployment of software solutions within the Growth domain
- Driving technical strategy and providing leadership to your team in a fast-paced innovation-focused environment
- Drive delivery of large-scale projects from ideation to completion within start-up time frames to develop new features and products - while also ensuring Canva’s overall reliability, performance, security, and stability
- Develop and grow a team of 6 to 10 Canvanauts through effective hiring, coaching, succession planning, and retention strategies
- Inspire and coach teams to innovate, invent, implement and deploy complex software solutions in a complex distributed and mission-critical environment
- Promote a safe and healthy culture with a focus on collaboration and open communication, and a good work-life balance
- Set up and run ongoing feedback sessions, initiatives to help drive a healthy code review culture, knowledge sharing, pairing, design showcases, and helping improve processes through retrospectives
- Experience with technical and people leadership - having previously led small high-performing teams.
- Coding proficiency and well as previous experience as a software engineer with a specialization in frontend or backend development
- Happy to work in our environment - our core stack is React with TypeScript, and Java sitting on AWS infrastructure
- Familiarity with large-scale software delivery in cloud-based environments
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; with the ability to work with a diverse range of individuals from different backgrounds and with different professional and personal needs
- Demonstrable product and commercial acumen
- Be capable of leading by example - promoting Canva’s values, no-blame mentality, and inclusive culture
Beneficial Experience (Not Required)
- Previous experience working closely with SEO, Growth Engineering, or Web Discoverability
Benefits and Total Rewards
- Competitive salary, plus stock options via our ESOP plan
- Flexible daily working hours, we value work-life balance
- Breakfast and lunch prepared by our wonderful Vibe team in Sydney HQ
- Onsite-Gym and Yoga Membership
- End-of-Trip Facilities: Bicycle parking and showers
- Generous parental (including secondary) leave policy
- Pet-friendly offices
- Internal Coaching and Employee Support Programs
- Sponsored social clubs, team events, and celebrations
This role is open to remote applicants within Australia that do not need visa sponsorship. We will require occasional travel to Sydney, once it is safe to do so.
We will not accept or review any CVs from external recruitment agencies.
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion. If you’re keen to apply and need reasonable adjustments or would like to note which pronouns you use at any point in the application or interview process, please let us know.