We’re constantly working towards making Canva the best place to work, for everyone. We believe deeply that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key for building the best product for our equally diverse community all around the world. We celebrate uniqueness and whatever makes you, you and encourage everyone who wants to help us transform the way the world designs, to join us on this journey. We value all different types of experiences. If you don’t think you quite meet all of the qualifications, we’d still love to hear from you.
At Canva, our mission is to democratise design and empower creativity for anyone and everyone, on every platform. Inspired by a team of talented thinkers, an amazing culture and a remarkable growth trajectory – we’re out to change the world, one design at a time.
Since launch in August 2013, we have grown exponentially, amassing over 60 million monthly active users across 190 different countries who have created more than 6 Billion designs. We are one of the world’s fastest-growing technology companies and we have only achieved about 1% of what we want to do.
About the Group and Team
The mission of our B&E Growth Group is to show the world the value of Canva at work and in the classroom. We need you to help us by leading a talented team of engineers that build experiments and growth features to achieve that mission.
The role will be a mix of 50% hands-on technical leadership and hands-on development and 50% people leadership so you will still be able to get your hands dirty in the code. This role is based in Sydney, open to remote applicants within Australia, and qualifies for interstate relocation for those who wish to work from Sydney HQ.
- As a technical team lead of a Growth Engineering team, you’ll be responsible for leading motivated growth engineers that build, and run experiments and A/B tests across different parts of our application.
- You’ll also be responsible for productizing successful experiments, as well as developing tools and frameworks that help our teams to create experiments rapidly and reliably.
- You would be working in cross-functional teams with UI/UX designers, content designers, product managers, and engineers (including QA and data analysts) and are encouraged to fully participate in ideation and strategy to help find the best ways to grow critical company metrics.
- As we operate across different parts of our application, you should have essential soft skills to resolve technical conflicts with other teams and code owners.
- Continually learning and adapting, you strive to grow yourself and those around you.
- Living and breathing all things growth, you make data-informed, strategic decisions and deliver on them to lead your team to great results.
Required Skills and Experience
- Two or more (2+) years of technical and people leadership
- Previously built high-performing and collaborative teams where everyone is able to share their best ideas and be their best selves
- Previous experience as a Software Engineer - in tune with software engineering fundamentals and first principles; comfortable contributing to design documents and performing thorough code reviews
- A healthy balance of strong technical and people leadership skills
- Strong customer focus and ability to collaborate with Product and Design stakeholders on defining use cases and requirements
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and ability to clearly articulate problems and solutions
- Strong ability to influence and work cross-functionally across several internal teams, to work with a diverse range of individuals from different backgrounds, with different expertise, and with different professional and personal needs
- Measurement-oriented, and have experimentation mindset
- Ready to jump and contribute to an uncharted territory where roles and challenges are not well defined
- Be capable of leading by example - promoting Canva’s values, no-blame mentality, and engineering values.
Benefits and Perks
- Competitive salary, plus stock options via our ESOP plan
- Flexible daily working hours, we value work-life balance
- Breakfast and lunch prepared by our wonderful Vibe team in Sydney HQ
- Onsite-Gym and Yoga Membership
- End-of-Trip Facilities: Bicycle parking and showers
- Generous parental (including secondary) leave policy
- Pet-friendly offices
- Internal Coaching and Employee Support Programs
- Sponsored social clubs, team events, and celebrations
- Interstate relocation assistance
This role is open to remote applicants within Australia that do not need visa sponsorship. We will require occasional travel to Sydney once it is safe to do so.
We will not accept or review any CVs from external recruitment agencies.
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion. If you’re keen to apply and need reasonable adjustments or would like to note which pronouns you use at any point in the application or interview process, please let us know.