We’re constantly working towards making Canva the best place to work, for everyone. We believe deeply that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key for building the best product for our equally diverse community all around the world. We celebrate uniqueness and whatever makes you, you and encourage everyone who wants to help us transform the way the world designs, to join us on this journey. We value all different types of experiences. If you don’t think you quite meet all of the qualifications, we’d still love to hear from you.
At Canva, our mission is to democratise design and empower creativity for anyone and everyone, on every platform. Inspired by a team of talented thinkers, an amazing culture and a remarkable growth trajectory – we’re out to change the world, one design at a time.
Since launch in August 2013, we have grown exponentially, amassing over 60 million monthly active users across 190 different countries who have created more than 6 Billion designs. We are one of the world’s fastest-growing technology companies and we have only achieved about 1% of what we want to do.
About the group and team
The media platform group is a foundational group of Canva, it owns and operates some of the longest-running services that are the bedrock to how Canva is able to service its millions of users. The media platform group undertakes the challenges of importing, re-coding, and serving petabytes of audio, video, fonts, vectors, and images.
The group has to stay in lock-step with the next generation of media technology. Ensuring that our platforms support new user desired formats, as well as looking for opportunities to serve more efficient (but compatible) files.
The Audio/Video team is one of the newer teams within the group. Founded in 2019 this team built Canva’s backend video and audio services from the ground up. The team supports our fastest-growing media upload types and focuses on ease of use for our users while supporting as many formats as possible. At the same time as growing the product, the team faces and solves challenging problems in keeping the product as fast as possible and maintaining reliability so that the experience of bringing video and audio to Canva is a magical one regardless of internet connection quality or user location.
The team also focuses on supporting other teams within Canva to be able to utilize video functionality easily. Unlocking great Canva features such as Canva’s Talking Presentations
. The team does this by encapsulating the complexity of video into an easy to consume service allowing other teams at Canva to be able to provide great features to their users in all corners of the product.
We are seeking a technical team lead who is able to drive forward the development of this newest media type in Canva. You will help set core team strategy, roadmap, and ensure that we are creating the easiest video experience possible for our users - and for our other teams in Canva.
- Develop and execute technical strategies and roadmaps by overseeing and driving delivery of highly complex projects focused on enhancing the experience of audio and video in the Canva core product
- Drive planning and refinement of seasonal goals, ensuring there is alignment between the company, group, and teams
- Foster a culture of communication, bridging the communication gap between teams, group, and company leadership
- Invest in working with engineers on growth and development opportunities to help further their skill set and grow into new roles, with an ability to deliver relevant and timely feedback (positive & constructive) to help them continuously improve and learn
- Be heavily involved in hiring; build and grow high-performing and highly engaged teams of world-class engineers by attracting, interviewing, and selecting talent for your group
- Coordinating and communicating across various specialties and parts of the business to understand the impact and feasibility of strategic goals within the group.
- Drive delivery of large, cross-team, and cross-group initiatives and projects from ideation to completion.
- One or more (1+) years of technical and people leadership
- Experience working in high-performing and collaborative teams where everyone is able to share their best ideas and be their best selves
- Previous experience as a Software Engineer - in tune with software engineering fundamentals and first principles; comfortable contributing to design documents and performing thorough code reviews
- Expertise with at least one object-oriented language like C# or Java.
- Expertise with relational databases and using technologies like MySQL or SQL Server.
- Expertise with document store databases such as Mongo, or Dynamo.
- Previous experience developing cloud-based / SaaS products
- A healthy balance of strong technical and people leadership skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; with the ability to work with a diverse range of individuals from different backgrounds, with different expertise, and with different professional and personal needs
- Strong customer focus to understand the use cases and requirements of internal stakeholders, and identify opportunities to empower them to do their best work
- Be capable of leading by example - promoting Canva’s values, no-blame mentality, and engineering values.
- Previous experience working cross-functionally with Product Managers, Finance, Designers, and other business functions outside of engineering
Bonus Experience (Desirable)
- Previous experience working with tools such as ffmpeg, or general audio and video web processing expertise
Benefits & Total Rewards
- Competitive salary, plus stock options via our ESOP plan
- Flexible daily working hours, we value work-life balance
- Breakfast and lunch prepared by our wonderful Vibe team
- Onsite-Gym and Yoga Membership
- End-of-Trip Facilities: Bicycle parking and showers
- Vibe and Thrive Allowance to support health and wellness
- Generous parental (including secondary) leave policy
- Pet-friendly offices
- Internal Coaching and Employee Support Programs
- Sponsored social clubs, team events, and celebrations
This role is open to remote applicants within Australia or New Zealand. Remote applicants will require occasional travel to Sydney once it is safe to do so.
We will not accept or review any CVs from external recruitment agencies.
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion. If you’re keen to apply and need reasonable adjustments or would like to note which pronouns you use at any point in the application or interview process, please let us know.