We’re constantly working towards making Canva the best place to work, for everyone. We believe deeply that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key for building the best product for our equally diverse community all around the world. We celebrate uniqueness and whatever makes you, you and encourage everyone who wants to help us transform the way the world designs, to join us on this journey. We value all different types of experiences. If you don’t think you quite meet all of the qualifications, we’d still love to hear from you.
At Canva, our mission is to democratise design and empower creativity for anyone and everyone, on every platform. Inspired by a team of talented thinkers, an amazing culture and a remarkable growth trajectory – we’re out to change the world, one design at a time.
Since launch in August 2013, we have grown exponentially, amassing over 60 million monthly active users across 190 different countries who have created more than 6 Billion designs. We are one of the world’s fastest-growing technology companies and we have only achieved about 1% of what we want to do.
About the Role:
How do you teach a computer to choose fonts and colors, change a layout, or make artistic recommendations? To solve problems such as these, engineering must be tightly interwoven with a knowledge of UX and graphic design. If you’re an engineer who enjoys thinking in multiple domains, this role is for you.
We are looking for strong programming ability, creative problem solving, user empathy, and exceptional learning aptitude. Our team includes engineers with professional design experience and data scientists, but we are open to anyone naturally suited to combining engineering, product, and design.
Knowledge in such areas as machine learning, color science, data analysis, and metaheuristics are valued but not necessary.
- Primarily building web based features with Typescript, but may need to work with other languages and environments
- Collaborate with product managers, product designers, data scientists, and user researchers, while also learning/practicing your craft
- Driving projects from inception to completion
- Keeping your work aligned with real user problems and strategic technical goals
- Running quantitative and qualitative experiments with the assistance of a data analyst
- Contributing to the team’s product roadmap
- Build efficient and reusable abstractions
- Identify and address performance bottlenecks
- Participate in design and code reviews
- A user-centered approach to problem solving
- Strong creative problem solving with algorithms
- Able to apply both divergent and convergent thinking to open ended problems
- Strong aptitude for programming
- Knowledge of data science or analysis
- Knowledge of color science
- Experience with graphic design
- Experience with product design or user research
Recent Projects Include
- Using color science, heuristics, and constraint optimization to choose colors for vector images being added to the page
- A genetic algorithm for changing designs (ask us for details!)
- Transferring text between unrelated designs, using a random forest classifier to determine the role of text elements, and heuristics to style and reflow text
- Using clustering algorithms (e.g., mean shift, k-means) to generate color palettes and font combinations from existing designs
- A web based tool for generating multiple designs
- Algorithms for changing the layout of designs
- Secret things we can’t talk about yet!
- Competitive salary, plus equity options
- Flexible working hours, we value work-life balance
- In-house chefs that cook delicious breakfast and lunch for us each day
- Gym and yoga facilities onsite
- Generous parental leave policy
- Pet friendly offices including a social area, unisex toilets
- Sponsored social clubs and team events
- Fun and quirky celebrations
- Relocation budget provided and visa application fees covered
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion. If you’re keen to apply and need reasonable adjustments or would like to note which pronouns you use at any point in the application or interview process, please let us know.