Canva’s Commitment and Mission
At Canva, we celebrate diversity. We deeply believe that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key to building the best product, team and company. We look for many different skills and abilities, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. So, even if you don’t think you quite meet all of the skills listed or tick all the boxes, we’d still love to hear from you!
Our mission at Canva is to empower the world to design and since launching in 2013, we have grown exponentially, amassing over 110+ million monthly active users across 190 different countries and a team of over 3,400 people… and the best bit is that we’ve only achieved 1% of what we know we’re capable of.
Join us and design your future.
We are searching for an experienced, Ruby engineer to immediately join the Pexels Backend Engineering team. The Pexels Backend team is a small, close-knit team with only three engineers currently. We are responsible for the API that powers our React and mobile applications; the public API we offer to our users to integrate Pexels into their own applications; the Admin tool that our Pexels colleagues use to curate, manage our community, and more; and keeping the infrastructure running smoothly.
What you'll do
- Work on a product that is used by millions of people and that is well known in the industry.
- Complete intermediate-level projects with autonomy and more complicated projects working with other members of the team.
- Implement the backend for new features for Pexels, from planning through to release. This generally involves designing data operations, wiring them up in our API, and writing automated tests in RSpec, as well as integrating with other engineering teams.
- Identify bugs and performance issues, and devise solutions to these problems.
- Take an active role in driving the architecture and technology used by Backend.
- Participate in the code review process, both as a code author and as a reviewer.
What we are looking for
- You have 5+ years of Ruby development experience; prior experience with API development is a plus.
- You are pragmatic in your approach to development, with a passion for clean, well-architected, well-tested, and performant code. You have the ability to make decisions on your own, as well as collaborate with other developers across teams.
- You pride yourself on your ability to diagnose, debug and solve problems.
- You have a strong understanding of MySQL, specifically with writing efficient and performant queries and identifying bottlenecks. Additional experience with ElasticSearch or Redis is a plus.
- You are very familiar with working in Git, including rebase workflows.
- You might have experience doing devops work, including responding to outages.
Working at Canva
Our culture is unlike anywhere else and we design your #CanvaLife experience to empower you to do the best work of your life.
Whether you’re in the office, working from home or choosing your own adventure, our benefits for permanent Canvanauts include:
• Flexible hours and a hybrid working model which values work-life balance and gives you the option to choose how you best work
• Equity options to be truly a part of the Canva journey Unique and flexible leave so you can recharge, give back, support others or focus on your own professional development
• Our very own Canva University, internal coaching and Employee Assistance Programs to help you be your best self
• An annual Vibe & Thrive allowance for you to spend as you choose on personal education, wellbeing, home office and social connection. You know better than anyone how to Vibe & Thrive!
• Virtual and in-office clubs, events and celebrations for you to connect with your teammates
• Canva For Good program matching your not-for-profit donations, Force for Good leave (3 paid volunteering days) and a range of sustainability and ethical initiatives to get involved in
• Support for family and carers including a parental leave policy that prioritises inclusivity recognises the diverse representations of modern families
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion. Please note that interviews are conducted virtually. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.