Canva’s Commitment and Mission
At Canva, we celebrate diversity. We deeply believe that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key to building the best product, team and company. We look for many different skills and abilities, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. So, even if you don’t think you quite meet all of the skills listed or tick all the boxes, we’d still love to hear from you!
Our mission at Canva is to empower the world to design and since launching in 2013, we have grown exponentially, amassing over 110+ million monthly active users across 190 different countries and a team of over 3,400 people… and the best bit is that we’ve only achieved 1% of what we know we’re capable of.
Join us and design your future.
About Visual Content
Canva’s in-house Visual Content team is on a mission to empower our users around the world by providing them with world-class, inspirational Templates and Elements that help them achieve their creative goals.
We work from concept to creation on high quality, globally relevant, trend-setting creative across Canva’s product ecosystem (Presentations, Docs, Whiteboards, Social Media, Websites, Print, to name but a few!), Brand Partnerships, Seasonal and Cultural Campaigns, Education, and Diversity Initiatives.
Visual Content is responsible for setting the overall Creative Strategy and Direction for the content that sits within Canva’s library, entrusted with holding our content and its creators to the highest of standards. Our job is to ensure that our library provides end-to-end content solutions that enable our users, whether they be Professionals, Educators, or first-time Designers, with the tools they need to create beautiful designs.
Our team partners with many stakeholders across the Canva organization, including Product, Marketing, and Search & Recommendations to devise, design and deliver creative content that showcases the very best of Canva’s products and services.
About the Role
Sitting within the Visual Content group, the Creative Lead (International) provides leadership in global and local cultural design considerations across international markets for Visual Content. This role is responsible for driving qualitative, technical and visual excellence in the execution of our content for all products in Canva’s ecosystem. They will provide leadership to their Locale Creative Leads, and partner with the Visual Content Group Lead and Strategy leads on best practices for Canva's international content.
You will oversee ownership of all international Creative Direction and provide cultural insights and expertise across all key Strategic Pillars in the Visual Content Group, inclusive of our Core Library, Worksuite, Education, Campaigns, Curation and Diversity.
Working closely with the Visual Content Product and Content Craft Leads, Strategy Creative Leads as well as key external stakeholders, you will develop and advise on international content aligned to Canva's market and product growth strategies.
You will be expected to have a strong understanding of all aspects of Canva's Content Library, content strategy, technical requirements combined with deep expertise in designing across cultures, to enable them to coach your Locale Creative Leads in craft and leadership skills.
Your collaboration with stakeholders across the company will enable Visual Content to surface high quality content across our Search, Marketing, and Marketplace touchpoints, working closely with Product to evolve the presentation and distribution of curated content across Canva. As well as content created by our In-House design team, you will partner with our Community teams to surface the best content delivered by our global network of Creators.
We move fast here at Canva, and this role will certainly keep you on your toes. We are looking for someone who loves to get stuff done. You’re who we want to work with if you can balance your brilliant creative streak with ruthless prioritization that moves projects rapidly along.
We believe in attracting and nurturing world-class talent with a focus on diversity, community, career development – and doing the best work of our lives.
What you'll do (responsibilities)
- Build a deeply collaborative working relationship between the International and Strategic, Product, and Content teams within Visual Content, ensuring that you and your team are tightly aligned with Group priorities, strategy and craft excellence.
- Grow and maintain strong relationships with the Principle Creative Lead (Product + Content) as well as the external Product Localisation team to advocate for International Content needs in the product development process.
- Own development, implementation and maintenance of Visual Standards and Technical requirements for our international content in partnership with the Locale Creative Leads.
- Integrate user research and insights from Content Strategy & Insights (CSI) and Global Services to ensure our Templates are meeting the needs of our international users and helping to drive Canva's goals.
- Collaborate with Creative Leads (Strategy), in particular the Campaign Strategy lead for Seasonal Events and Local Marketing Campaigns, to build local and cultural insights into strategic plans.
- Recommend production streams in line with budget and ROI to support the development of International Templates as the business requires.
- Brief International Creative Leads on upcoming initiatives and goals, and see them through to completion.
- Be responsible as the primary approver of Creative Direction for International Template Design across all of Canva's library.
- Lead campaign analysis and retrospectives on how International content across different products and locales are performing, and make recommendations to Visual Content and Leadership on improvements to drive growth and quality.
- Advocate for design across cultures at a Group Level, bing the "go-to" for advocating authentic international design for International Content across the Canva product.
- Represent VC in Show and Tells to share wins, best practice and product insights, and proactively share knowledge and insights on Cultural Design area via ‘Brownbags’ and other accessible documentation
- Coach team members across your area of craft expertise, championing world-class user experience for International templates design.
- Continuously develop your understanding of design across cultures, identifying creative trends and product features that will enhance our International content experience.
- Monitor the competitive landscape and advocate innovation in our International Templates design, both across your team and to Visual Content leadership.
- Identify areas for skills growth and career development across your Coachees.
What we're looking for:
- Be an expert on international design culture and trends and ensure that Canva content remains current, relevant and authentic in our international markets.
- Have extensive previous experience leading an international creative team of designers, overseeing both bespoke and localized creative content in a fast paced Digital Media environment.
- Have an acute understanding of the different content needs across our products and user groups, particularly how user content needs and expectations change depending on their locale, and leverage that knowledge to deliver authentic, local sets of content that enables those users to achieve their tasks efficiently and at high quality.
- A senior leader who is comfortable communicating and engaging with Canva leadership, organizational stakeholders, and growing, coaching and mentoring a team of editorially minded individuals.
- A keen eye for what makes great design, and how creative trends and aesthetics can be adapted or changed to resonate with a local audience.
- A great understanding of cultural nuances, aesthetics, trends and sensitivities across a wide range of international regions (Asia, Middle East, India, South America etc.)
- An ability to interpret international user trends and data, working collaboratively with our Content Strategy and Insights team to use that insight to bring our editorial and curated content to life in a timely fashion.
- Ability to work autonomously in a fast-paced, high-growth environment, driving momentum with strategic projects and large-change initiatives even amongst ambiguity.
Working at Canva
Our culture is unlike anywhere else and we design your #CanvaLife experience to empower you to do the best work of your life.
Whether you’re in the office, working from home or choosing your own adventure, our benefits for permanent Canvanauts include:
• Equity packages for you to truly be a part of the Canva journey.
• We have a hybrid work model (in-office & from home), with our offices are always open to you balancing flexibility and connection
• Flexible leave so you can recharge, give back, support others or focus on your own professional development.
• Inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents and carers throughout their parenting and caring journey.
• An annual Vibe & Thrive allowance. This is for you to spend on whatever will support your wellbeing and development.. because you know what you need to Vibe and Thrive, better than anyone.
• Virtual and in-office wellness benefits including Canva University, Employee Assistant Programs and Fitness & Meditation Classes.
• Canva For Good program matching your not-for-profit donations, Force for Good leave (3 paid volunteering days) and a range of sustainability and ethical initiatives to get involved in.
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion. Please note that interviews are conducted virtually. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.