Canva’s Commitment and Mission
At Canva, we celebrate diversity. We deeply believe that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key to building the best product, team and company. We look for many different skills and abilities, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. So, even if you don’t think you quite meet all of the skills listed or tick all the boxes, we’d still love to hear from you!
Our mission at Canva is to empower the world to design and since launching in 2013, we have grown exponentially, amassing over 110+ million monthly active users across 190 different countries and a team of over 3,400 people… and the best bit is that we’ve only achieved 1% of what we know we’re capable of.
Join us and design your future.
About the team
Canva is seeking a Privacy and Product Counsel who will support privacy and product counseling across the Canva business. The role will report into the Lead Counsel, Product within the Privacy and Product Team and you will have the opportunity to learn from other experienced Privacy and Product counsels and advise across all groups and products as you learn the Canva business.
Challenged to look at the big picture to find innovative processes and product changes to drive product compliance in a fast-paced, growth focussed environment. You will be encouraged to understand not just what the law says, but also industry and enforcement trends. You’ll help Canva see around corners to prepare for upcoming regulatory changes and influence how the business responds to those changes.
You’ll work to ensure Canva’s newest products continue to delight our customers and meet our goals, whilst also keeping users safe and meeting community and regulator expectations.
What you'll do
- Assist with data privacy incidents (we have an on-call roster)
- Advise on Privacy Impact Assessments, Jira tickets and queries to our privacy channel
- Support with training and awareness initiatives
- Drafting terms and disclaimers for new product launches, special offers and in product messaging
- Monitor the regulatory landscape on laws applicable to the risks associated with product launches, including privacy, spam, consumer protection and content moderation laws
- Be the eyes and ears for the legal team and refer out matters to other legal specialities where required, including employment, commercial and intellectual property specialists
- Advising on data processing agreements with vendors, due diligence and high risk Transfer Impact Assessments
- Partner with the Data, Security, Product and Engineering Group Leads to drive privacy goals forward with alignment and support
We'd love it if you had
- Hands-on experience in product and privacy counselling, this would make for a great first move for someone currently within a Legal Practice environment
- You have a keen interest in further specialising to forge a career in these areas of practice; comfortable dealing with uncertain, ambiguous and dynamic environments.
- Able to influence stakeholders to prioritise compliance and have experience doing this with leaders and stakeholders across product, engineering and marketing.
- Focussed on delivering projects even where this calls for you to go beyond the role of legal advisor and you’re not afraid to hustle other teams and individuals to get things done.
- Experienced in collaborating with the legal team, engineering, product and marketing teams.
Working at Canva
Our culture is unlike anywhere else and we design your #CanvaLife experience to empower you to do the best work of your life.
Whether you’re in the office, working from home or choosing your own adventure, our benefits for permanent Canvanauts include:
• Equity packages for you to truly be a part of the Canva journey.
• We have a hybrid work model (in-office & from home), with our offices are always open to you balancing flexibility and connection
• Flexible leave so you can recharge, give back, support others or focus on your own professional development.
• Inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents and carers throughout their parenting and caring journey.
• An annual Vibe & Thrive allowance. This is for you to spend on whatever will support your wellbeing and development.. because you know what you need to Vibe and Thrive, better than anyone.
• Virtual and in-office wellness benefits including Canva University, Employee Assistant Programs and Fitness & Meditation Classes.
• Canva For Good program matching your not-for-profit donations, Force for Good leave (3 paid volunteering days) and a range of sustainability and ethical initiatives to get involved in.
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion. Please note that interviews are conducted virtually. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.