Canva’s Commitment and Mission
At Canva, we celebrate diversity. We deeply believe that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key to building the best product, team and company. We look for many different skills and abilities, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. So, even if you don’t think you quite meet all of the skills listed or tick all the boxes, we’d still love to hear from you!
Our mission at Canva is to empower the world to design and since launching in 2013, we have grown exponentially, amassing over 100+ million monthly active users across 190 different countries and a team of over 3,000 people… and the best bit is that we’ve only achieved 1% of what we know we’re capable of.
Join us and design your future.
About the team
Canva is looking for its first Lead Employment Counsel for APAC. This is an incredible opportunity to coach a team of talented lawyers and be part of our highly motivated and collaborative global employment legal team.
Reporting to the Global Head of Employment Legal (based in Australia), this is a super exciting opportunity for an employment lawyer looking for their next challenge.
If you’re someone who has the ability to deal with issues outside your experience and can learn quickly in a fast-paced and often unstructured environment, this is your opportunity!
What you'll do
- Lead a team of talented lawyers based in Australia and the Philippines and provide support to the Head of Employment Legal
- Be the primary point of contact for APAC related employment matters
- Possess sound understanding on employment/labour laws and have experience of working in a global environment to oversee advice and strategy on APAC employment law matters
- Advise on day-to-day employment related matters throughout the region across Canva’s employee and contingent workforce
- Contribute to the development, implementation and review of workplace policies, processes, guidance and templates
- Support Canva-wide learning initiatives, including delivering training on employment-related topics
- Work closely and collaboratively with key stakeholders including the People Team (aka HR), Total Rewards, Tax, Finance and other parts of the Canva Group as required
What we're looking for
- Admitted to practice in Australia
- You have 8+ years as a practicing employment lawyer. Ideally, you would also have relevant in-house experience in a multinational organisation, preferably in the tech space
- You have hands-on experience partnering with, or advising, HR teams and other key stakeholders at international organisations on a broad range of employment matters
- You have some experience building and coaching a team
- You’re a skilled communicator and you have confidence and experience translating complex legal concepts into practical solutions
- High level of integrity, professionalism, intellectual curiosity, sense of humor, and willingness to grow
Working at Canva
Our culture is unlike anywhere else and we design your #CanvaLife experience to empower you to do the best work of your life.
Whether you’re in the office, working from home or choosing your own adventure, our benefits for permanent Canvanauts include:
• Equity packages for you to truly be a part of the Canva journey.
• We have a hybrid work model (in-office & from home), with our offices are always open to you balancing flexibility and connection
• Flexible leave so you can recharge, give back, support others or focus on your own professional development.
• Inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents and carers throughout their parenting and caring journey.
• An annual Vibe & Thrive allowance. This is for you to spend on whatever will support your wellbeing and development.. because you know what you need to Vibe and Thrive, better than anyone.
• Virtual and in-office wellness benefits including Canva University, Employee Assistant Programs and Fitness & Meditation Classes.
• Canva For Good program matching your not-for-profit donations, Force for Good leave (3 paid volunteering days) and a range of sustainability and ethical initiatives to get involved in.
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion. Please note that interviews are conducted virtually. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.