We’re constantly working towards making Canva the best place to work, for everyone. We believe deeply that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key for building the best product for our equally diverse community all around the world. We celebrate uniqueness and whatever makes you, you and encourage everyone who wants to help us transform the way the world designs, to join us on this journey. We value all different types of experiences. If you don’t think you quite meet all of the qualifications, we’d still love to hear from you.
At Canva, our mission is to democratise design and empower creativity for anyone and everyone, on every platform. Inspired by a team of talented thinkers, an amazing culture and a remarkable growth trajectory – we’re out to change the world, one design at a time.
Since launch in August 2013, we have grown exponentially, amassing over 60 million monthly active users across 190 different countries who have created more than 6 Billion designs. We are one of the world’s fastest-growing technology companies and we have only achieved about 1% of what we want to do.
About the team
Canva is seeking a business-minded, technology focused lawyer to serve as Privacy & Product Counsel, who will take an entrepreneurial approach to privacy and product counseling and serve as a key voice in the room providing advice to Canva’s product and engineering teams. You will work on many of the most critical legal issues affecting Canva’s growth and success.
You will join a dynamic legal team working on a variety of innovative legal issues across the entire company. You will be required to leverage your expertise, good judgement and strong business sense to assist product, engineering, marketing, data and other teams develop thoughtful strategies towards product development while assessing and mitigating legal risk.
What you'll do:
- Act as a legal advisor for Canva’s products and engineering teams, with a focus on U.S. operations, Sales and Success, Canva for Education for US schools and Print and Partnerships (including drafting strategic partnership agreements in relation to the Canva Product).
- Provide advice on compliance with COPPA, FERPA, CCPA and other state based US privacy laws, and other applicable compliance matteras and laws such as intellectual property, spam, cookies, competition and consumer protection.
- Carry out Privacy Impact Assessments and Transfer Impact Assessments and support the commercial team with mitigating risks identified in contracts.
- Drafting Data Processing Agreements with customers, schools and vendors.
- Supporting the commercial team on privacy clauses and incorporating recommendations from privacy impact assessments into contracts.
- Conduct legal product reviews and partner with the business on sales practices and products to understand future strategies and roadmaps.
- Ensure alignment of the Canva Group with global personal data handling policies and data retention policies.
- Help build scalable and effective processes for legal review and launch of new products, while balancing user and policy considerations and allowing the business to execute on its strategy.
- Participate in the review and coordination of potential privacy or data security incidents, including investigations, notifications, and other resolution efforts.
- Keep current on relevant industry standards, laws, and regulations and plan for legal changes impacting Canva in advance.
- Provide support on data privacy related to commercial contracts, partnerships, integrations, and other matters.
- Develop and deliver legal training and scalable written guidance to internal clients.
- You have a strong technical background and significant hands-on privacy and product counseling experience at a rapidly growing technology company
- You are excited to roll up your sleeves, learn the product and proactively identify and analyze opportunities and risks
- You have excellent communication skills and can make complex communications simple
- You are comfortable participating in cross-functional teams and partnering with members of the product and engineering teams
- You are excited about learning new technologies and new areas of law and actively seek out opportunities to do that
- You are a pragmatic, business minded lawyer who wants to help build our business
- You are risk aware, not risk averse
- You are a collaborative team player with strong interpersonal skills and collegial attitude
We'd also love it if you a minimum of:
- Admission to one bar
- 6+ years practicing law (though more experience is welcome)
- Extensive knowledge of key privacy regulations (e.g. GDPR, CCPA, LGPD and the Privacy Act (AU)) and desire to learn about privacy regulations in additional jurisdictions as we grow
Preferred Qualifications/ Experience
- Certified Information Privacy Professional
- Knowledge and understanding of Canva
- Relevant technical degree or high level of comfort with technology
- Hands on in-house experience at a rapidly growing technology company advising engineering and product teams on privacy and product related regulatory requirements
- United States - open to Austin, Seattle, SF Bay Area or remote (depending on ability to have some timezone overlap with Sydney, so East Coast would be difficult)
Being a Force for good. One of our core values at Canva, “Being a force for good” means we are actively working towards a world that isn't just good for a small few, but one that’s good for everyone. We believe deeply that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key for building the best product for our equally diverse community. To achieve this, we need to constantly work towards making Canva the best place to work, for everyone.
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion. If you’re keen to apply and need reasonable adjustments or would like to note which pronouns you use at any point in the application or interview process, please let us know.