We’re constantly working towards making Canva the best place to work, for everyone. We believe deeply that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key for building the best product for our equally diverse community all around the world. We celebrate uniqueness and whatever makes you, you and encourage everyone who wants to help us transform the way the world designs, to join us on this journey. We value all different types of experiences. If you don’t think you quite meet all of the qualifications, we’d still love to hear from you.
At Canva, our mission is to democratise design and empower creativity for anyone and everyone, on every platform. Inspired by a team of talented thinkers, an amazing culture and a remarkable growth trajectory – we’re out to change the world, one design at a time.
Since launch in August 2013, we have grown exponentially, amassing over 60 million monthly active users across 190 different countries who have created more than 6 Billion designs. We are one of the world’s fastest-growing technology companies and we have only achieved about 1% of what we want to do.
Canva is seeking a business-minded, technology focused lawyer to serve as Senior Privacy & Product Counsel, who will take an entrepreneurial approach to privacy and product counseling and serve as a key voice in the room providing advice to Canva’s product and engineering teams. You will work on many of the most critical legal issues affecting Canva’s growth and success. You will join a dynamic legal team working on a variety of innovative legal issues across the entire company. You will be required to leverage your expertise, good judgement and strong business sense to assist product, engineering, marketing, data and other teams develop thoughtful strategies towards product development while assessing and mitigating legal risk.
What you'll do:
- Act as a legal advisor for Canva’s product and engineering teams, help build scalable and effective processes for legal review and launch of new products, while balancing user and policy considerations.
- Provide legal advice across a variety of subject areas, including data protection/privacy laws, intellectual property law, internet laws and regulations, consumer protection laws, spam and other global legal frameworks.
- Help compliance efforts with respect to global privacy and data security laws and other product related regulations and industry standards, including assisting with ongoing compliance with ISO 27001.
- Assist with Privacy Impact Assessments, recording processing activities, putting in place data processing agreements with subprocessors, updating risk and incident registers and assisting with data subject requests
- Champion privacy in the business and assist with risk register management and help build privacy by design into product roadmaps
- Participate in the review and coordination of potential privacy or data security incidents, including investigations, notifications, and other resolution efforts.
- Keep current on relevant industry standards, laws, and regulations.
- Provide support to the legal team on data privacy related to commercial contracts, partnerships, integrations, and other matters.
- Develop and deliver legal training and scalable written guidance to internal clients.
What we're looking for:
- You have a strong technical background and significant hands-on privacy and product counseling experience at a rapidly growing technology company.
- You are excited to roll up your sleeves, learn the product and proactively identify and analyze opportunities and risks.
- You have excellent communication skills and can make complex communications simple.
- You are comfortable participating in cross-functional teams and partnering with members of the product and engineering teams.
- You are excited about learning new technologies and new areas of law and actively seek out opportunities to do that.
- You are a pragmatic, business minded lawyer who wants to help build our business.
- You are risk aware, not risk averse.
- You are a collaborative team player with strong interpersonal skills and collegial attitude.
- Admission to one bar
- 6+ years practicing law (though more experience is welcome)
- Extensive knowledge of key privacy regulations (e.g. GDPR, CCPA, LGPD and the Privacy Act (AU)) and desire to learn about privacy regulations in additional jurisdictions as we grow
- Hands on in-house experience at a rapidly growing technology company advising engineering and product teams on privacy and product related regulatory requirements
- Certified Information Privacy Professional
- Knowledge and understanding of Canva
- Relevant technical degree or high level of comfort with technology
- Opportunity to be part of one of the world’s fastest-growing tech companies.
- Your work will impact millions of Canva’s global users.
- Learn from and work with some of Australia’s best talent, including Canva’s founders, engineers, product and growth professionals.
- Equity in one of the fastest-growing companies in the world.
- Flexible working hours, we value work-life balanceIn-house chefs that cook delicious breakfast and lunch for us each day.
- In-house Gym.
- Sponsored social clubs and team events.
- Fun and quirky celebrations.
Being a Force for good.
One of our core values at Canva, “Being a force for good” means we are actively working towards a world that isn't just good for a small few, but one that’s good for everyone. We believe deeply that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key for building the best product for our equally diverse community. To achieve this, we need to constantly work towards making Canva the best place to work, for everyone.
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion. If you’re keen to apply and need reasonable adjustments or would like to note which pronouns you use at any point in the application or interview process, please let us know.