We’re constantly working towards making Canva the best place to work, for everyone. We believe deeply that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key for building the best product for our equally diverse community all around the world. We celebrate uniqueness and whatever makes you, you and encourage everyone who wants to help us transform the way the world designs, to join us on this journey. We value all different types of experiences. If you don’t think you quite meet all of the qualifications, we’d still love to hear from you.
At Canva, our mission is to democratise design and empower creativity for anyone and everyone, on every platform. Inspired by a team of talented thinkers, an amazing culture and a remarkable growth trajectory – we’re out to change the world, one design at a time.
Since launch in August 2013, we have grown exponentially, amassing over 60 million monthly active users across 190 different countries who have created more than 6 Billion designs. We are one of the world’s fastest-growing technology companies and we have only achieved about 1% of what we want to do.
The Data Science specialty is engaged in delivering value to Canva’s users, by designing, building and maintaining complex systems to apply statistics and machine learning at scale, and multiplying manual effort with data intelligence. This includes making it easy for users to discover over 75M+ templates, photos, videos and elements; messaging, marketing and building engagement with users; and making it easier for users to design.
We're looking to grow the team to continue to scale the impact of machine learning and data science across Canva. You'll be joining a fast moving team, rapidly building and shipping machine learning-driven features to users and staff.
- Hypothesis-driven development of data and ML-driven features across Canva.
- Engineering implementation: developing and implementing ML models and features, as well as using third party APIs and pre-trained models when appropriate.
- Running offline and online experiments.
- Investigating and spiking applications of data and ML across the Canva product, considering tradeoffs between different approaches and rapidly shipping.
- Contributing to the full life cycle of ML/data models: data analysis, data preprocessing and pipeline, modelling, tuning and productization.
- Improving the scalability, speed and performance of existing models.
- Working alongside data specialists, software engineers and product owners to identify business and growth opportunities.
- Designing and creating new data workflows and deploying these workflows to users.
- Sharing and articulating statistical analysis, modelling, experiment and results to technical and non-technical audiences.
- More than 5 years of Industry experience in the machine learning /software engineering role with a Product/SaaS company.
- Experience building and deploying machine learning models. Strong understanding of end-to-end machine learning pipelines and components.
- Strong Coding proficiency in Python, interviews will be in Python.
- Strong understanding of Computer Science/Engineering fundamentals and first principles covering system design, data structures, architecture, and design patterns.
- Familiarity with big data tools: Apache Spark, Hadoop, MapReduce.
- SQL experience preferred.
- Strong research skills: the ability to dig through deep learning literature and translate this into product and value for users.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Engineering / Science or Mathematics.
- Excellent collaboration and communication skills.
Perks and Benefits
- Flexible daily working hours, we value work-life balance
- Breakfast and lunch prepared by our wonderful Vibe team
- Onsite-Gym and Yoga Membership
- End-of-Trip Facilities: Bicycle parking and showers
- Generous parental (including secondary) leave policy
- Pet-friendly offices
- Sponsored social clubs, team events and celebrations
- Relocation budget for interstate or overseas individuals (see below for visa information)
If you're seeking professional growth and enjoy working on large, distributed, cloud-based applications that delight our millions of individual and business users alike - then apply now to be considered for the position!
If you require visa sponsorship, you must ensure you have at least two (2) years of post-University commercial experience as a Software Engineer and meet the mandatory sponsorship requirements laid out by Department of Home Affairs.
We will not accept or review any CVs from external recruitment agencies.
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion. If you’re keen to apply and need reasonable adjustments or would like to note which pronouns you use at any point in the application or interview process, please let us know.