Canva’s Commitment and Mission
At Canva, we celebrate diversity. We deeply believe that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key to building the best product, team and company. We look for many different skills and abilities, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. So, even if you don’t think you quite meet all of the skills listed or tick all the boxes, we’d still love to hear from you!
Our mission at Canva is to empower the world to design and since launching in 2013, we have grown exponentially, amassing over 100+ million monthly active users across 190 different countries and a team of over 3,000 people… and the best bit is that we’ve only achieved 1% of what we know we’re capable of.
Join us and design your future.
About the Team
A design system is a collection of design guidelines, reusable user interface components, and related resources and tools.
The Design System Teams work on some of the biggest frontend problems, like accessibility, theming, surface architecture, and curating the set of foundational base components that all frontend engineers use daily. You would help build the design system in a scalable and consistent way, keeping in mind users, designers, and engineers alike. We have a unique opportunity to build a world-class design system and revolutionise ways of working across design and frontend engineering at Canva.
About the Role
You’ll get hands-on experience writing reusable code and technical documentation to build intuitive user experiences and actively refactor core parts of the application to use a new component as part of road-testing it. This is an exciting opportunity for an experienced engineer who knows how to both communicate well and design components that balance simplicity and flexibility
• You'll learn how to build components that work for hundreds or thousands of use cases and align with design system patterns
• You'll learn how to build a design system in a complex product with a wide range of concerns, including accessibility, cross-platform, and cross-device considerations.
• You will learn how to navigate our Canva organizational structure, an ever-growing startup where you will have the opportunity to understand different team and engineer motivations and experiences, as well as teach them how to improve frontend best practices using our tools that we built.
What you’ll do
- Build efficient and reusable frontend components and systems
- Collaborate with product designers and Figma designs to clearly understand all use cases while identifying engineering requirements
- Contribute to defining, improving, and codifying best practices and methodologies for frontend engineering at Canva
- Craft and present engaging presentations to the frontend specialty
- Communicate with other team members to figure out the best solutions to difficult problems
- Participate in design and code reviews
- Identify and address performance bottlenecks
What we're looking for
- We'd love to hear from you if you fit one or more of these:
- Experience developing rich web applications, ideally Typescript/React/MobX
- Working with a design system or maintaining components other teams depend on but an interest in the problem space goes a long way
- Six years experience building efficient and reusable frontend components and systems
- Practical knowledge of data structures and algorithms
- Nice to have:
- Experience writing accessible code and reading detailed specifications (WCAG 2.1 AA)
- Experience in stakeholder communication or internal advocacy
- Cross-browser and cross-device development
Working at Canva
Our culture is unlike anywhere else and we design your #CanvaLife experience to empower you to do the best work of your life.
Whether you’re in the office, working from home or choosing your own adventure, our benefits for permanent Canvanauts include:
• Equity packages for you to truly be a part of the Canva journey.
• We have a hybrid work model (in-office & from home), with our offices are always open to you balancing flexibility and connection
• Flexible leave so you can recharge, give back, support others or focus on your own professional development.
• Inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents and carers throughout their parenting and caring journey.
• An annual Vibe & Thrive allowance. This is for you to spend on whatever will support your wellbeing and development.. because you know what you need to Vibe and Thrive, better than anyone.
• Virtual and in-office wellness benefits including Canva University, Employee Assistant Programs and Fitness & Meditation Classes.
• Canva For Good program matching your not-for-profit donations, Force for Good leave (3 paid volunteering days) and a range of sustainability and ethical initiatives to get involved in.
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion. Please note that interviews are conducted virtually. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.