We’re constantly working towards making Canva the best place to work, for everyone. We believe deeply that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key for building the best product for our equally diverse community all around the world. We celebrate uniqueness and whatever makes you, you and encourage everyone who wants to help us transform the way the world designs, to join us on this journey. We value all different types of experiences. If you don’t think you quite meet all of the qualifications, we’d still love to hear from you.
At Canva, our mission is to democratise design and empower creativity for anyone and everyone, on every platform. Inspired by a team of talented thinkers, an amazing culture and a remarkable growth trajectory – we’re out to change the world, one design at a time.
Since launch in August 2013, we have grown exponentially, amassing over 60 million monthly active users across 190 different countries who have created more than 6 Billion designs. We are one of the world’s fastest-growing technology companies and we have only achieved about 1% of what we want to do.
At Canva, we’re transforming the way the world designs by building a suite of easy-to-use design tools (for graphics, animation, video, and print) in over 100 languages, and across browser-based and mobile platforms. Founded in 2013, with Technology and Product HQ’d in Sydney, we’ve grown to nearly 1500 staff globally. We’re the most valuable private technology company in Australia with a valuation of USD $15 billion, we’re profitable, and we’re acquiring users at an incredible rate - with over 55 million monthly active users -- and rapidly growing!
We have a large pipeline of infrastructure projects on the horizon to ensure high availability, top-notch performance, and the continued scalability of the environment.
The Infrastructure Group's focus is to make infrastructure easy for all the other engineering teams at Canva. We accomplish this by optimizing existing solutions, developing internal tooling, promoting best practices throughout the organisation, introducing global infrastructure changes, and mentoring the engineering teams on how to do infrastructure - the right way. We work as a team to find the pragmatic solutions to a wide range of performance and scaling problems to ensure Canva continues to grow and our users have smooth and seamless design experiences.
This focus on long term growth is made possible by every engineering team at Canva owning the operations and infrastructure of the systems they design and implement, instead of having a dedicated ops team: on the spectrum between ops and dev, the Infrastructure Group operates very close to dev, so the skills required are also close to those required for dev work, with a focus on software engineering fundamentals.
- Build the cloud foundations that support modern distributed microservices that are hosted on AWS
- To be a contact point and subject matter expert with respect to our AWS environment
- Develop infrastructure solutions with scalability, high-availability, and security in mind
- Collaborate with other teams to work out the best solutions to their cloud problems
- Participate in solution design meetings, hiring interviews, and code reviews
- Propose and contribute to new approaches and solutions to ensure we future-proof Canva's distributed cloud infrastructure as we continue scaling globally
Required Experience and Background
- Strong experience as a Software Engineer/ Devops Engineer in a cloud ecosystem
- Advanced coding proficiency in Python and strong Computer Science and OOP fundamentals.
- A strong grasp of DevOps best practices, Microservices, Kubernetes, Container Orchestration, Serverless
- Experience working in a modern distributed microservices environment hosted on AWS
- Experience working with infrastructure as code and CI/CD
- An understanding of cloud security best practice
- Cloud Engineering: Storage / Databases, Disaster Recovery and/or AWS datastore experience
- Experience utilizing service offerings such as IAM, VPC, EC2, S3 and RDS within AWS would be desirable, but not required.
- The ability to guide and mentor other members within the team and improve the way we collaborate, learn, and share ideas
- Strong written and verbal communication skills - both technical and plain language
Perks and Benefits
- Competitive salary, plus stock options via our ESOP plan
- Flexible daily working hours, we value work-life balance
- Breakfast and lunch prepared by our wonderful Vibe team
- Onsite-Gym and Yoga Membership
- End-of-Trip Facilities: Bicycle parking and showers
- Generous parental (including secondary) leave policy
- Pet-friendly offices
- Internal Coaches and an Employee Wellness Program
- Sponsored social clubs, team events, and celebrations
- Relocation budget for interstate or overseas individuals (see below for visa information)
The Canva workspace is set up for you to do your best work and have a great time doing so, with breakout areas, little nooks, and quiet places to retreat.
Want to experience Canva for yourself?
Check out what life is like at Canva on Instagram
Check out what our users are saying about us on Twitter
If you're seeking professional growth and enjoy working on large, distributed, cloud-based applications that delight our millions of individual and business users alike - then apply now to be considered for the position!
If you require visa sponsorship, you must ensure you have at least two (2) years of post-University commercial experience as a Software Engineer and meet the mandatory sponsorship requirements
laid out by the Department of Home Affairs.
We will not accept or review any CVs from external recruitment agencies.
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion. If you’re keen to apply and need reasonable adjustments or would like to note which pronouns you use at any point in the application or interview process, please let us know.