Canva’s Commitment and Mission
At Canva, we celebrate diversity. We deeply believe that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key to building the best product, team and company. We look for many different skills and abilities, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. So, even if you don’t think you quite meet all of the skills listed or tick all the boxes, we’d still love to hear from you!
Our mission at Canva is to empower the world to design and since launching in 2013, we have grown exponentially, amassing over 100+ million monthly active users across 190 different countries and a team of over 3,000 people… and the best bit is that we’ve only achieved 1% of what we know we’re capable of.
Join us and design your future.
About this role
At Canva we recognise the importance of maintaining a safe and respectful workplace for everyone. Our newly established Global Workplace Integrity team is seeking a highly motivated and experienced mid-level lawyer to join the team.
Sitting within the Global Employment Legal team, the successful candidate will be responsible for conducting investigations into workplace issues, handling protected whistleblowing disclosures, and addressing other integrity-related issues. In collaboration with the People team, this individual will lead projects relevant to Canva’s ongoing legal responsibility, play a key role in implementing and managing our Respect@Work program, support our DE&I strategy and psychosocial risk management initiatives.
In doing so, you have a real opportunity to uphold Canva's values and to help our workforce go from strength to strength.
What you'll do
- Conduct investigations into workplace issues in accordance with company policy and legal requirements
- Handle protected whistleblower disclosures, including providing guidance to employees and management in relation to protections and obligations
- Advise and assist management in addressing integrity-related issues, including conflicts of interest and code of ethics violations
- Implement and manage the company's Respect@Work initiatives, including providing training and education
- Assist in the management of psychosocial risks in the workplace, including identifying and addressing potential hazards and providing support to our staff
- Supporting Canva’s DE&I initiatives through an employment law lens
- Provide legal advice and guidance on a wide range of workplace-related issues
- Keep up-to-date with relevant laws and regulations, and proactively identify and address potential legal risks
- Participate in internal and external audits as required
What we're looking for
- Proven experience in employment law and workplace investigations, ideally with in-house experience (tech experience preferable)
- Qualified to practice law in either Australia (c. 4+ years PQE) or an equivalent jurisdiction
- An excellent understanding of employment law and workplace-related legal issues
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to effectively communicate with employees and management at all levels
- Capable of working both autonomously and collaboratively, you will be effective at juggling and multiple competing tasks in a fast-paced environment
- Technical ability and proven experience partnering with or advising HR teams and other key stakeholders on workplace investigations and other integrity related matters
- Confidence and experience translating complicated legal concepts into practical solutions to guide stakeholders
This is an exciting opportunity to join a dynamic team and make a real impact on Canva’s workplace integrity initiatives. If you have a passion for ensuring a fair and respectful workplace and are looking to take the next step in your legal career, we encourage you to apply.
Working at Canva
Our culture is unlike anywhere else and we design your #CanvaLife experience to empower you to do the best work of your life.
Whether you’re in the office, working from home or choosing your own adventure, our benefits for permanent Canvanauts include:
• Equity packages for you to truly be a part of the Canva journey.
• We have a hybrid work model (in-office & from home), with our offices are always open to you balancing flexibility and connection
• Flexible leave so you can recharge, give back, support others or focus on your own professional development.
• Inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents and carers throughout their parenting and caring journey.
• An annual Vibe & Thrive allowance. This is for you to spend on whatever will support your wellbeing and development.. because you know what you need to Vibe and Thrive, better than anyone.
• Virtual and in-office wellness benefits including Canva University, Employee Assistant Programs and Fitness & Meditation Classes.
• Canva For Good program matching your not-for-profit donations, Force for Good leave (3 paid volunteering days) and a range of sustainability and ethical initiatives to get involved in.
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion. Please note that interviews are conducted virtually. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.