Canva’s Commitment and Mission
At Canva, we celebrate diversity. We deeply believe that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key to building the best product, team and company. We look for many different skills and abilities, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. So, even if you don’t think you quite meet all of the skills listed or tick all the boxes, we’d still love to hear from you!
Our mission at Canva is to empower the world to design and since launching in 2013, we have grown exponentially, amassing over 100+ million monthly active users across 190 different countries and a team of over 3,000 people… and the best bit is that we’ve only achieved 1% of what we know we’re capable of.
Join us and design your future.
About the group you’ll be a part of
Part of the Product Platform supergroup, the UX Platform’s group mission is ‘to ensure a delightful experience for every user on every device’. The group is made up of teams that focus on systems, tooling and guidance for Canva’s Design System, Accessibility and Internationalisation teams, to name a few.
About the teams you’ll work with
Our Design System teams focus on two streams: the development and maintenance of foundational components, and increasing adoption of the design system across the org.
Collectively, the team’s mission is to build a world-class design system that empowers Canva staff to craft consistent and excellent experiences at scale.
About Content Design at Canva
We're on a mission to help our users fulfill their goals with clarity and joy.
We’re looking to achieve this by building an amazing team with a culture of clear and crisp writing. Our focus is on systems, not just sentences. We create and improve flows, not just the words. We seek to have a deep impact on key areas, not just shallow impact everywhere.
Content Design is a small and growing part of our Design specialty. Canva sees content as a crucial part of its ongoing success – and we’re really focused on improving our content experience. We have a fun, human voice that we want to do a better job of getting across to our users, instead of, you know, “generic UX writing” voice.
We’re passionate about working together to create the future of Content Design at Canva; it’s not a top-down approach. Your opinion matters! You’ll also get lots of support from the diverse content team across the business. As soon as you arrive, we’ll be saying “Thank goodness you’re here!”
The content design specialty collaborates closely with PMs, Designers, Engineers and Design Researchers to identify solutions that prioritize our users’ needs.
Goals you’ll achieve
- Goal #1: Audit the existing design system site’s structure and its content and make recommendations for improvements.
- Goal #2: Develop cross-functional rituals and processes for improving the way documentation is drafted, developed and published.
- Goal #3: Introduce existing Content Writing guidelines into our design system — developing, integrating and evolving UX writing guidance into individual component documents.
- Goal #4: Explore and define a clear strategy for evolving the IA and navigation of our design systems documentation website.
- Goal #5: Explore and establish a framework that supports and accurately promotes the health and status of the Design System’s suite of documentation and guidelines for consumers.
What you’ll do
- Content Design: You’ll use your writing skills and User Experience principles to craft UX copy that will help our design system scale and be used across the whole of Canva. You’ll also work with the rest of the Content Design team to solve problems we’re all facing, so we can continue to build a robust, thriving specialty.
- Drive improvements to how we document components and then make sure we keep the quality bar high.
- Lead the creation and implementation of accessible and inclusive content design guidelines, including naming conventions and microcopy guidelines, within Canva’s design system.
- Partner with Product Designers and Engineers to shape and refine new and existing documentation guidelines for Easel’s suite of components and patterns.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams, shaping rituals and processes that support the development of Design System content at all stages of the process, from planning and writing to editing, iterating and publishing.
- Provide coaching and educational support for IC product designers on best practices for drafting and developing documentation.
- Collaborate on shaping and executing improvements to our design system's information architecture and navigation systems and create supporting artefacts such as content audits, glossaries, and FAQs.
- Help facilitate design critiques and workshops to promote collaboration and improve design outcomes.
- Utilise qualitative and quantitative research to inform content decisions and support decisions with documented rationale, data, and user research.
- Results: Your frictionless and friendly copy isn’t just for show – it’ll move the needle on the metrics that matter at Canva.
- Completeness and comms in internal user satisfaction
- Improved adoption through standardisation of component naming
- Collaboration: You’ll bring design, PMs, engineers and researchers together to find the best solutions for our users as we grow our component library.
What we’re looking for
- You’re a senior Content Designer who’s got a proven track record of solving complex problems, ideally in the tech/SaaS industry. This means you have at least 3-5 years of content design or UX writing experience.
- You have incredible UX writing skills and an impressive content design portfolio, and are a stickler for brand voice, consistency and style.
- You know how to work independently, but you also love collaborating with people from different disciplines and sharing the power of content design.
- You’ve got a good balance between big-picture thinking and nailing the details.
- You’re not afraid of complex problems – in fact, that’s where you thrive.
- You know how to get buy-in from key stakeholders. You’ve got a track record of bringing people on the journey with you – they know what’s changing and why.
- You like to move quickly, and aren’t afraid of fast growth and rapid change. Canva is growing faster than you can imagine – which means solutions that worked 6 months ago might break. You’re up for that challenge.
- You know how to prioritize ruthlessly and handle responsibilities for a wide number of projects – focusing your attention on the areas that matter most.
Working at Canva
Our culture is unlike anywhere else and we design your #CanvaLife experience to empower you to do the best work of your life.
Whether you’re in the office, working from home or choosing your own adventure, our benefits for permanent Canvanauts include:
• Equity packages for you to truly be a part of the Canva journey. Hybrid work model (in-office & from home)
• Flexible leave so you can recharge, give back, support others or focus on your own professional development.
• Inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents and carers throughout their parenting and caring journey.
• An annual Vibe & Thrive allowance. This is for you to spend on whatever will support your wellbeing and development.. because you know what you need to Vibe and Thrive, better than anyone.
• Virtual and in-office wellness benefits including Canva University, Employee Assistant Programs and Fitness & Meditation Classes.
• Canva For Good program matching your not-for-profit donations, Force for Good leave (3 paid volunteering days) and a range of sustainability and ethical initiatives to get involved in.
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion. Please note that interviews are conducted virtually. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.