Canva’s Commitment and Mission
At Canva, we celebrate diversity. We deeply believe that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key to building the best product, team and company. We look for many different skills and abilities, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. So, even if you don’t think you quite meet all of the skills listed or tick all the boxes, we’d still love to hear from you!
Our mission at Canva is to empower the world to design and since launching in 2013, we have grown exponentially, amassing over 100+ million monthly active users across 190 different countries and a team of over 3,000 people… and the best bit is that we’ve only achieved 1% of what we know we’re capable of.
Join us and design your future.
Infrastructure is a huge investment at Canva, consisting of Cloud Platforms, Developer Platforms, and Reliability Platforms that are used by all Canva engineers, and therefore crucial to the scaling of the organisation. As such, we’re looking to gain a better, data-driven understanding of how our users interact with our products.
In this role, you would be a hands-on lead of a team of Analytics Engineers and Data Analysts. This team would create, maintain and operate data platforms that deliver data sets, from which we derive insights to ultimately improve the Infrastructure product offerings, thereby improving the efficiency and experience of all Canva engineers!
Your team will work in collaboration with multiple teams and stakeholders to support their decision making process. This includes:
- Working alongside the teams and Product Managers to identify the product needs
- Ensuring the right data is being collected and stored
- Modeling the data appropriately
- Identifying and reporting back about patterns and trends
- Building and maintaining dashboards for Infra teams
- Helping improve data literacy within the Infra Supergroup
This is a very exciting opportunity because it’s a new team and the first of its kind. There is a huge opportunity to shape how data is collected and used in Infrastructure, and have a very broad impact!
- Coach a team of data specialists, composed of Data Analysts and Analytics Engineers. This role will act as a driver of data strategy in this supergroup and will coordinate closely with the Product leads.
- It will require close coordination with several stakeholders and a real sense of drive and initiative to keep things moving. Nobody tells you what to do; you identify the opportunities where your team can make the largest impact and you see it through.
- Although you are a technical guru, you also have people skills and know how to coordinate a team, align with stakeholders, and organise a data strategy in your particular area.
- Find insights that help us understand both our Infrastructure products and our users (Canva engineers) - we want you to be creative and insightful, rather than just throwing the usual metrics at the wall to see what sticks.
- Suggest improvements that will actually move our metrics - when we release changes, we want to actually see the bump in the relevant graph
- Maintain, operate, and tune data infrastructure (Fivetran, Snowflake, Redshift, dbt, Looker, Mode Analytics, Census) at scale.
- Own projects, data models, dashboards, and other artefacts and keep them up-to-date and high quality in a hyper-growth environment.
- Design and build out analytic data models that support answering questions from our Infrastructure teams and company leaders.
- Help us extend data literacy and curiosity throughout the Infrastructure supergroup
Required Skills & Experience
- Experience leading data analysts and/or cross functional teams.
- At least 2 years of recent experience building and managing large data platform environments in the cloud, AWS preferred.
- Strong competency with SQL; experience with data warehouses such as Snowflake, Redshift, or BigQuery is a plus!
- Experience wrangling and analysing data using Python or R.
- Experience with optimising products for user efficiency and experience, and building dashboards that effectively communicate results and outcomes
- Experience developing dashboards and reporting systems.
- Familiarity with a wide set of data warehousing principles, including architecture, methodologies, schemas, performance/optimization principles, and best practices.
- A grounding in mathematics / statistics and a bachelor's degree in a STEM area is preferred; but not required.
- Experience with very large data sets is a huge plus, but not required.
- Strong communication skills - verbal and written - be able to break down complex topics into simple solutions and ideas. Stakeholder management skills are vital in this role.
- Competitive salary, plus equity options
- Flexible working hours, we value work-life balance
- In-house chefs that cook delicious breakfast and lunch for us each day
- Free Yoga membership
- Generous parental leave policy
- Pet friendly offices including a garden, climbing wall, unisex toilets
- Sponsored social clubs and team events
- Fun and quirky celebrations
- Relocation budget provided for interstate or overseas candidates
One of our core values at Canva, “Being a force for good” means we are actively working towards a world that isn't just good for a small few, but one that’s good for everyone. We believe deeply that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key for building the best product for our equally diverse community. To achieve this, we need to constantly work towards making Canva the best place to work, for everyone.
If you're a passionate data analyst seeking a truly challenging opportunity with one of the world's premier technology companies, then apply now to start the discussion with us!
We will not accept or review any CVs from external recruitment agencies.
Working at Canva
Our culture is unlike anywhere else and we design your #CanvaLife experience to empower you to do the best work of your life.
Whether you’re in the office, working from home or choosing your own adventure, our benefits for permanent Canvanauts include:
• Equity packages for you to truly be a part of the Canva journey.
• We have a hybrid work model (in-office & from home), with our offices are always open to you balancing flexibility and connection
• Flexible leave so you can recharge, give back, support others or focus on your own professional development.
• Inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents and carers throughout their parenting and caring journey.
• An annual Vibe & Thrive allowance. This is for you to spend on whatever will support your wellbeing and development.. because you know what you need to Vibe and Thrive, better than anyone.
• Virtual and in-office wellness benefits including Canva University, Employee Assistant Programs and Fitness & Meditation Classes.
• Canva For Good program matching your not-for-profit donations, Force for Good leave (3 paid volunteering days) and a range of sustainability and ethical initiatives to get involved in.
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion. Please note that interviews are conducted virtually. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.