Canva’s Commitment and Mission
At Canva, we celebrate diversity. We deeply believe that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key to building the best product, team and company. We look for many different skills and abilities, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. So, even if you don’t think you quite meet all of the skills listed or tick all the boxes, we’d still love to hear from you!
Our mission at Canva is to empower the world to design and since launching in 2013, we have grown exponentially, amassing over 100+ million monthly active users across 190 different countries and a team of over 3,000 people… and the best bit is that we’ve only achieved 1% of what we know we’re capable of.
Join us and design your future.
About Application Security Engineers
At Canva, we’re all constantly striving towards our Crazy Big Goals! As the features and services of our product suite evolve, we’re setting some large and ambitious goals. We need to be able to ship robust and secure features without sacrificing speed and scale of delivery, which is where our Application Security Engineers come in.
As an Application Security Engineer, your primary objective is to safeguard Canva's products and features by proactively identifying and eliminating vulnerabilities. You play a crucial role in ensuring the security of our Community by providing guidance and support to engineering teams in identifying and resolving security issues as they arise.
About the Security Group
The Security Group is responsible for protecting Canva systems and data from information security threats. Our teams work together, and with other groups, to deliver preventive and detective controls and processes that reduce security risk. The group runs programs across Identity and Access Management, Application Security, Risk Management, and Threat Detection and Response domains.
What you'll be doing!
- Discovering and triaging vulnerabilities across Canva
- Developing tooling to assist engineering teams to detect and remediating vulnerabilities in our products
- Developing and integrating systems that help identify, manage, and mitigate security risk across Canva’s threat landscape
- Identifying, introducing, and improving security controls in various stages of the software development lifecycle
- Evaluating new and emerging security technologies, features, and products that make it easier to reliably build secure software
- Finding novel ways to eliminate entire bug classes across the Canva codebase
- Using large datasets to analyze and prioritize the remediation of vulnerabilities and security improvements
- Proficient with one or more modern program languages (Golang or Python preferred), and working experience building security tooling/services
- Knowledge of common web-based vulnerabilities and appropriate mitigations (OWASP Top 10)
- Hands-on experience with security tools such as software composition analysis, static and dynamic security analysis, etc.
- Experience developing with Infrastructure as Code (such as Terraform)
- Experience securing and working in cloud environments (such as AWS or Google Cloud)
- Knowledge of supply chain security, including familiarity with CI/CD pipelines, automation, and dependency management
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; with the ability to work with a diverse range of individuals from different backgrounds, with different expertise, and with different professional and personal needs
Beneficial experience (not required, but helpful)
- Working experience with cloud computing platforms (such as AWS or Google Cloud) and associated technologies and products within the cloud ecosystem, especially security-specific services
- Hands-on experience with data warehouses, data modelling, and analytics
- Solid understanding of identity and authorization standards like OAuth, OpenID Connect, SAML
- Familiarity with cryptographic protocols and practical applications
Working at Canva
Our culture is unlike anywhere else and we design your #CanvaLife experience to empower you to do the best work of your life.
Whether you’re in the office, working from home or choosing your own adventure, our benefits for permanent Canvanauts include:
• Equity packages for you to truly be a part of the Canva journey.
• We have a hybrid work model (in-office & from home), with our offices are always open to you balancing flexibility and connection
• Flexible leave so you can recharge, give back, support others or focus on your own professional development.
• Inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents and carers throughout their parenting and caring journey.
• An annual Vibe & Thrive allowance. This is for you to spend on whatever will support your wellbeing and development.. because you know what you need to Vibe and Thrive, better than anyone.
• Virtual and in-office wellness benefits including Canva University, Employee Assistant Programs and Fitness & Meditation Classes.
• Canva For Good program matching your not-for-profit donations, Force for Good leave (3 paid volunteering days) and a range of sustainability and ethical initiatives to get involved in.
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion. Please note that interviews are conducted virtually. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.