Canva’s Commitment and Mission
At Canva, we celebrate diversity. We deeply believe that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key to building the best product, team and company. We look for many different skills and abilities, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. So, even if you don’t think you quite meet all of the skills listed or tick all the boxes, we’d still love to hear from you!
Our mission at Canva is to empower the world to design and since launching in 2013, we have grown exponentially, amassing over 100+ million monthly active users across 190 different countries and a team of over 3,000 people… and the best bit is that we’ve only achieved 1% of what we know we’re capable of.
Join us and design your future.
Want to join Canva?
In Revenue Platform, we are on a mission to unlock the full value of Canva by empowering everyone, anywhere to pay and be paid seamlessly. We are engineering the "Smartest Payments Engine" to increase our payment success rates. Emerging markets are important to us, and we are working to build Truly Local Payment capabilities. As Canva continues to rapidly grow, we are constantly solving problems as we strive for 1 billion monthly active users in 2026. Revenue Platform is central to Canva’s foundational revenue and profitability goals.
About the role/speciality
As the Engineering Lead, you'll look after the technical direction and execution of the team while continuing to be a hands-on engineer. Your role is to ensure the health and efficiency of everyone that you are accountable for. You'll ensure impactful projects are delivered while maintaining operational health.
What you'll do:
- You will Coach engineers by providing regular, concrete feedback and collaboratively help them reach their personal growth goals
- You will set clear goals for the team and rally them to execution on those goals
- You will ensure that there is a fantastic environment for collaboration and the engineering culture within the team is open, pragmatic, and encouraging
- You will lead the team’s development methodology and rituals such as sprint planning, stand-ups, retrospectives as well as the technical strategy and roadmap
- You will build relationships with payment service providers as they are essential to your team’s success
- You will write and review design documents, break projects down into achievements, and drive the project delivery
We're looking for an individual who is able to balance technical, people and delivery leadership to ensure an impactful team. You should be able to communicate optimally with engineers and other collaborators. You should foster an inclusive culture that allows different specialties (Product Managers, Designers, Finance QA, Data Analysts) to contribute to the team success.
Experience and expertise is required in; Relational databases, Object Oriented language such as Java, APIs, AWS hosting and distributed systems. Proven experience in payment processing or financial services would be beneficial.
You should have experience in project delivery which will enable you to guide the team to success.
We are looking for someone who has previously been accountable for an impactful team and is comfortable with delegation and mentoring of engineers.
Working at Canva
Our culture is unlike anywhere else and we design your #CanvaLife experience to empower you to do the best work of your life.
Whether you’re in the office, working from home or choosing your own adventure, our benefits for permanent Canvanauts include:
• Equity packages for you to truly be a part of the Canva journey. Hybrid work model (in-office & from home)
• Flexible leave so you can recharge, give back, support others or focus on your own professional development.
• Inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents and carers throughout their parenting and caring journey.
• An annual Vibe & Thrive allowance. This is for you to spend on whatever will support your wellbeing and development.. because you know what you need to Vibe and Thrive, better than anyone.
• Virtual and in-office wellness benefits including Canva University, Employee Assistant Programs and Fitness & Meditation Classes.
• Canva For Good program matching your not-for-profit donations, Force for Good leave (3 paid volunteering days) and a range of sustainability and ethical initiatives to get involved in.
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion. Please note that interviews are conducted virtually. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.