Canva’s Commitment and Mission
At Canva, we celebrate diversity. We deeply believe that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key to building the best product, team and company. We look for many different skills and abilities, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. So, even if you don’t think you quite meet all of the skills listed or tick all the boxes, we’d still love to hear from you!
Our mission at Canva is to empower the world to design and since launching in 2013, we have grown exponentially, amassing over 100+ million monthly active users across 190 different countries and a team of over 3,000 people… and the best bit is that we’ve only achieved 1% of what we know we’re capable of.
Join us and design your future.
About the Infrastructure Group:
The Infrastructure Group's focus is to make infrastructure easy for all the other engineering teams at Canva. We accomplish this by optimizing existing solutions, developing internal tooling, promoting best practices throughout the organisation, introducing global infrastructure changes, and mentoring the engineering teams on how to do infrastructure - the right way. We work as a team to find the pragmatic solutions to a wide range of performance and scaling problems to ensure Canva continues to grow and our users have smooth and seamless design experiences.
This focus on long term growth is made possible by every engineering team at Canva owning the operations and infrastructure of the systems they design and implement, instead of having a dedicated ops team: on the spectrum between ops and dev, the Infrastructure Group operates very close to dev, so the skills required are also close to those required for dev work, with a focus on software engineering fundamentals.
The Cloud Platform Group:
Within Infrastructure, is the Cloud Platform Group. They are made up of approximately 60 Software Engineers, and their goal is to enable the safe, secure and reliable operation of canva.com and internal workloads. Cloud Platform’s mission is to reduce the complexity of using the Cloud (we use AWS) so that engineers can focus on their own domains. We build products to support engineers across the company to easily provision and configure Cloud resources, release, run and operate workloads. And our goal is to ensure it's all done in the simplest and most secure way possible.
What you’ll be doing (your responsibilities):
- Build the cloud foundations that support modern distributed microservices that are hosted on AWS
- To be a contact point and subject matter expert with respect to our AWS environment
- Develop infrastructure solutions with scalability, high-availability, and security in mind
- Collaborate with other teams to work out the best solutions to their cloud problems
- Participate in solution design meetings, hiring interviews, and code reviews
- Propose and contribute to new approaches and solutions to ensure we future-proof Canva's distributed cloud infrastructure as we continue scaling globally
Required Experience and Background:
- Strong experience as a Software Engineer/DevOps Engineer in a cloud ecosystem
- Advanced coding proficiency in Python and strong Computer Science and OOP fundamentals.
- An understanding of cloud security best practice
- Cloud Engineering: Storage / Databases, Disaster Recovery and/or AWS datastore experience
- A strong grasp of DevOps best practices, Microservices, Kubernetes, Container Orchestration, Serverless
- Experience working in a modern distributed microservices environment hosted on AWS
- Experience working with infrastructure as code and CI/CD
- Experience utilizing service offerings such as IAM, VPC, EC2, S3 and RDS within AWS would be desirable, but not required.
- The ability to guide and mentor other members within the team and improve the way we collaborate, learn, and share ideas
- Strong written and verbal communication skills - both technical and plain language
Want to experience Canva for yourself?
Check out what life is like at Canva on Instagram
If you're seeking professional growth and enjoy working on large, distributed, cloud-based applications that delight our millions of individual and business users alike - then apply now to be considered for the position!
Working at Canva
Our culture is unlike anywhere else and we design your #CanvaLife experience to empower you to do the best work of your life.
Whether you’re in the office, working from home or choosing your own adventure, our benefits for permanent Canvanauts include:
• Equity packages for you to truly be a part of the Canva journey.
• We have a hybrid work model (in-office & from home), with our offices are always open to you balancing flexibility and connection
• Flexible leave so you can recharge, give back, support others or focus on your own professional development.
• Inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents and carers throughout their parenting and caring journey.
• An annual Vibe & Thrive allowance. This is for you to spend on whatever will support your wellbeing and development.. because you know what you need to Vibe and Thrive, better than anyone.
• Virtual and in-office wellness benefits including Canva University, Employee Assistant Programs and Fitness & Meditation Classes.
• Canva For Good program matching your not-for-profit donations, Force for Good leave (3 paid volunteering days) and a range of sustainability and ethical initiatives to get involved in.
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion. Please note that interviews are conducted virtually. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.