Canva’s Commitment and Mission
At Canva, we celebrate diversity. We deeply believe that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key to building the best product, team and company. We look for many different skills and abilities, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. So, even if you don’t think you quite meet all of the skills listed or tick all the boxes, we’d still love to hear from you!
Our mission at Canva is to empower the world to design and since launching in 2013, we have grown exponentially, amassing over 100+ million monthly active users across 190 different countries and a team of over 3,000 people… and the best bit is that we’ve only achieved 1% of what we know we’re capable of.
Join us and design your future.
About Identity & Access Security Engineers
At Canva, we’re all constantly striving towards our Crazy Big Goals! As the features and services of our product suite evolve, we’re setting some large and ambitious goals. We need to be able to ship robust and secure features without sacrificing speed and scale of delivery, which is where our Backend Engineers come in.
As a Backened Engineer in Identity and Access, it is your mission to build identity, authentication and authorisation systems that make the “secure path” the easiest path for software engineers and all Canvanauts to follow. Everything you work on impacts the entire company requiring beautiful abstractions.
About the Security Group
The Security Group is responsible for protecting Canva systems and data from information security threats. Our teams work together, and with other groups, to deliver preventive and detective controls and processes that reduce security risk. The group runs programs across Identity and Access Management, Application Security, Risk Management, Threat Detection, Response and Red Teams.
What you'll be doing!
- Engineer Identity and Access Management solutions for our large-scale, cloud-native and SaaS application stack, from ideation to completion supported by the Identity and Access team.
- Provide strong ownership to the authentication and authorisation platform that the Identity and Access team own.
- Explore streamlined ways to provide short-term, time-bound access to critical systems that are approved and audited.
- Respond to Red Team activities by designing and implementing mitigating controls, burning their tools, tactics and procedures.
- Support a security-first engineering culture by making the optimally secure solution the easiest one for software engineering teams to use.
- Developing and iterating on technical proposals – outlining how solutions will be structured and developed.
- Developing solutions you’ve designed from the ground up through to deployment into production.
- Identifying and addressing performance bottlenecks within the application and broader infrastructure.
- Participating in design meetings, hiring interviews, and code reviews.
- Performance debugging, benchmarking and building awesome things in general.
- Fluency and past experience with languages such as Golang or Java for backend development.
- Firmly grounded computer science and engineering fundamentals including concurrency, multithreading, data structures, solution design, architecture, and design patterns.
- Working collaboratively with team members and communicating effectively.
- Good writing and verbal communication skills.
Beneficial Experience (Not Required, but Helpful)
- Any experience with identity management protocols (OIDC, OAuth, SAML) or an interest in Security Engineering.
- Experience in cloud-based environments (AWS, Google Cloud, Azure) with a working knowledge of broad infrastructure functions - CI/CD pipelines, automation, site reliability etc.
Working at Canva
Our culture is unlike anywhere else and we design your #CanvaLife experience to empower you to do the best work of your life.
Whether you’re in the office, working from home or choosing your own adventure, our benefits for permanent Canvanauts include:
• Equity packages for you to truly be a part of the Canva journey.
• We have a hybrid work model (in-office & from home), with our offices are always open to you balancing flexibility and connection
• Flexible leave so you can recharge, give back, support others or focus on your own professional development.
• Inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents and carers throughout their parenting and caring journey.
• An annual Vibe & Thrive allowance. This is for you to spend on whatever will support your wellbeing and development.. because you know what you need to Vibe and Thrive, better than anyone.
• Virtual and in-office wellness benefits including Canva University, Employee Assistant Programs and Fitness & Meditation Classes.
• Canva For Good program matching your not-for-profit donations, Force for Good leave (3 paid volunteering days) and a range of sustainability and ethical initiatives to get involved in.
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion. Please note that interviews are conducted virtually. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.