Canva’s Commitment and Mission
At Canva, we celebrate diversity. We deeply believe that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key to building the best product, team and company. We look for many different skills and abilities, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. So, even if you don’t think you quite meet all of the skills listed or tick all the boxes, we’d still love to hear from you!
Our mission at Canva is to empower the world to design and since launching in 2013, we have grown exponentially, amassing over 100+ million monthly active users across 190 different countries and a team of over 3,000 people… and the best bit is that we’ve only achieved 1% of what we know we’re capable of.
Join us and design your future.
The Developer Platform Group owns the coding life cycle at Canva – from ideas through to production. Our mission is “To forge a delightful ecosystem for engineers at Canva, amplifying their craft and enabling them to ship fast and correct. At scale.”We create an environment in which developers can do their best work.
We work closely with product engineering teams to understand their needs and build solutions to best meet them. Our ecosystem spans platforms such as Git, build systems, CI systems, and knowledge management systems.
Riding the wave of technical development at a hyper-growth company offers a unique, once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to do some of the best engineering of your life. Tackle complex problems with innovative solutions and enjoy the exhilaration of seeing your contributions amplify developer velocity and workflow at scale. If you crave challenge, love growth and yearn for the satisfaction of seeing real results uplift the developer experience, come and join us in the Developer Platform group.
- Develop self-service infrastructure from the ground up to empower our engineering teams to work more efficiently
- Work across CI, Static Analysis Tooling, IDE Integration (Bazel) and other developer-related domains as necessary to ensure Canva’s engineering teams continue to scale with the demands of the product suite
- Work with product engineering teams to ensure build best practices and tools are rolled out in every service across the whole organization.
- Design, build and optimise build frameworks to build and test a monorepo architecture.
- Participate in solution design meetings, hiring interviews, and code reviews
- Work to improve/maintain internal developer experience platforms that empower engineers to work efficiently.
- As a Software Engineer, have experience building internal tooling for CI, infrastructure, or developer efficiency/productivity
- Strong Computer Engineering / Science knowledge around fundamentals and first principles relating to concurrency, multithreading, data structures, architecture, and various design patterns
- Advanced coding proficiency in Python/ Java/ GoLang and strong Object Oriented Programming fundamentals
- Good understanding of the DevOps ecosystem concerning tooling, Continuous Delivery, Continuous Integration, Infrastructure as Code
- Experience working in a modern distributed microservices environment hosted on AWS
- Experience working with infrastructure as code and CI/CD
- The ability to guide and mentor other members within the team and improve the way we collaborate, learn, and share ideas
- Strong written and verbal communication skills - both technical and plain language
Bonus Experience (not mandatory, but beneficial)
- Extensive knowledge of and experience improving CI systems and Static Analysis
- Strong knowledge on IDE plugins and integrations; particularly with Bazel
- Being familiar and comfortable with introducing tools for source control performance and previous implementation thereof
The Canva workspace is set up for you to do your best work and have a great time doing so, with breakout areas, little nooks, and quiet places to retreat.
Want to experience Canva for yourself?
Check out what life is like at Canva on Instagram
Check out what our users are saying about us on Twitter
If you're seeking professional growth and enjoy working on large, distributed, cloud-based applications that delight our millions of individual and business users alike - then apply now to be considered for the position!
If you require visa sponsorship, you must ensure you have at least two (2) years of post-University commercial experience as a Software Engineer and meet the mandatory sponsorship requirements
laid out by the Department of Home Affairs.
We will not accept or review any CVs from external recruitment agencies.
Working at Canva
Our culture is unlike anywhere else and we design your #CanvaLife experience to empower you to do the best work of your life.
Whether you’re in the office, working from home or choosing your own adventure, our benefits for permanent Canvanauts include:
• Equity packages for you to truly be a part of the Canva journey.
• We have a hybrid work model (in-office & from home), with our offices are always open to you balancing flexibility and connection
• Flexible leave so you can recharge, give back, support others or focus on your own professional development.
• Inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents and carers throughout their parenting and caring journey.
• An annual Vibe & Thrive allowance. This is for you to spend on whatever will support your wellbeing and development.. because you know what you need to Vibe and Thrive, better than anyone.
• Virtual and in-office wellness benefits including Canva University, Employee Assistant Programs and Fitness & Meditation Classes.
• Canva For Good program matching your not-for-profit donations, Force for Good leave (3 paid volunteering days) and a range of sustainability and ethical initiatives to get involved in.
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion. Please note that interviews are conducted virtually. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.