Canva’s Commitment and Mission
At Canva, we celebrate diversity. We deeply believe that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key to building the best product, team and company. We look for many different skills and abilities, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. So, even if you don’t think you quite meet all of the skills listed or tick all the boxes, we’d still love to hear from you!
Our mission at Canva is to empower the world to design and since launching in 2013, we have grown exponentially, amassing over 100+ million monthly active users across 190 different countries and a team of over 3,000 people… and the best bit is that we’ve only achieved 1% of what we know we’re capable of.
Join us and design your future.
Do you love data visualization, interactive content and modern web technologies? Are you a team player who likes solving difficult problems together? Do you want to join one of the UK’s most exciting tech start-ups and play a key role in developing an ambitious product with a global impact?
Flourish is the world’s leading data storytelling platform. It enables anyone to create beautiful graphics and interactive stories without coding. Since its launch in 2018, more than 750,000 registered users have produced around 10 million graphics, which have racked up more than 20 billion views. Our customers range from leading newsrooms and corporations to NGOs, universities and government departments all over the world.
Our customers include leading newsrooms (such as BBC and FT), major corporates (such as Goldman Sachs and Moody’s), NGOs (Amnesty, Rockefeller) plus universities all over the world.
We’re looking for a senior developer to work on our library of visualization templates and components, which sits at the heart of the Flourish system, powering the thousands of beautiful interactive graphics created every day.
You will work across a wide range of visualization templates, from streamgraphs
to WebGL maps
or even interactive quizzes
. You’ll also work on our library of components, which provide annotations, popups, legends, axes and other crucial functionality across the various templates.
You will add new features, fix bugs, and create whole new templates and components. As a Senior Developer in this area, you will also make sure we have efficient processes around reliability, testing and maintenance.
You’ll take a central role in a team of talented and friendly developers, designers, project managers and researchers. You will work on projects on your own in addition to pair-programming and mob-programming. You will also mentor and manage other visualization developers and work closely with the product team.
Even though this role is focused on visualization templates and components rather than the editor platform, there should be opportunities to contribute to that too.
You are an experienced software engineer who enjoys working collaboratively and loves to learn new things. You care deeply about the quality of your work and are thoughtful about how to improve both what you’re doing and how the team works together. You’re happy to adopt existing conventions of the codebase, while having ideas for how it could evolve.
You’ll be working on tools, not one-off graphics, so it’s important that you have the discipline to solve problems properly and an instinct for technical architecture. You’ll also care about user-friendly interfaces and have an imagination for the countless ways users might make use of what you and the team are building.
You’re a friendly colleague and you work well in a close-knit team. Importantly, you’re excited by Flourish and the opportunity to make it better.
- Advanced visualization skills, e.g. with D3 or WebGL (both would be ideal)
- Ability to write code that is clean and human readable
- Fluent in spoken and written English
- Git for version control, and an understanding of why clear history matters
- Experience with working practices such as test-driven development, continuous integration and continuous delivery
- Experience with agile methodologies
- Build tools such as Rollup
- An enthusiasm for learning and teaching
- A systematic approach to solving problems
- A love of the web and an interest in performance
- The ability to give feedback kindly and receive feedback
- Our tech stack: Some key technologies used in templates and components are vanilla JS, D3, Less, rollup, Cypress, CircleCI, GitHub, Regl, Mapbox.js and Handlebars. We don’t expect you to have worked with all of these, but any you have are a plus.
- Our company: Flourish is a small team combining decades of collective experience in development, data, design, visualization and journalism/publishing. Read more about the team
- Our culture: We’re a friendly and supportive group that values kindness, honesty and fun. We’re open and try new things with enthusiasm. And we’re high-momentum, focused on delivering magical products that our users love. We socialise as a team at least once a month.
- Our interview process: We make our hiring process fast and straightforward. Typically there is brief initial call followed by an online technical test. If we ask you to take this test and you are not selected, we will give you a £50 Amazon voucher to say thank you for your time. Next there is an interview stage designed to be rigorous but friendly and collaborative. We’ll ask you to do some pair-programming with us, to get a sense for how you communicate, but we don’t do stressful whiteboard coding.
- Our location: We are largely a UK-based team, with a few exceptions. Our office in Shoreditch is a fun and exciting place to work. We also embrace fully remote staff, though ideally we like the whole team to gather once a month for meetings and social events.
Working at Canva
Our culture is unlike anywhere else and we design your #CanvaLife experience to empower you to do the best work of your life.
Whether you’re in the office, working from home or choosing your own adventure, our benefits for permanent Canvanauts include:
• Flexible hours and a hybrid working model which values work-life balance and gives you the option to choose how you best work
• Equity options to be truly a part of the Canva journey Unique and flexible leave so you can recharge, give back, support others or focus on your own professional development
• Our very own Canva University, internal coaching and Employee Assistance Programs to help you be your best self
• An annual Vibe & Thrive allowance for you to spend as you choose on personal education, wellbeing, home office and social connection. You know better than anyone how to Vibe & Thrive!
• Virtual and in-office clubs, events and celebrations for you to connect with your teammates
• Canva For Good program matching your not-for-profit donations, Force for Good leave (3 paid volunteering days) and a range of sustainability and ethical initiatives to get involved in
• Support for family and carers including a parental leave policy that prioritises inclusivity recognises the diverse representations of modern families
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion. Please note that interviews are conducted virtually. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.