We’re constantly working towards making Canva the best place to work, for everyone. We believe deeply that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key for building the best product for our equally diverse community all around the world. We celebrate uniqueness and whatever makes you, you and encourage everyone who wants to help us transform the way the world designs, to join us on this journey. We value all different types of experiences. If you don’t think you quite meet all of the qualifications, we’d still love to hear from you.
At Canva, our mission is to democratise design and empower creativity for anyone and everyone, on every platform. Inspired by a team of talented thinkers, an amazing culture and a remarkable growth trajectory – we’re out to change the world, one design at a time.
Since launch in August 2013, we have grown exponentially, amassing over 60 million monthly active users across 190 different countries who have created more than 6 Billion designs. We are one of the world’s fastest-growing technology companies and we have only achieved about 1% of what we want to do.
About the team
The Video Team at Canva is on a mission to make the default video editor for everyone. With millions of users using Canva every day, this is an opportunity to redefine visual and animated communication and have a global impact on the way people create content for video platforms.
About the Product Design specialty
One of the principles of our design team is to ‘show the future’. As designers we transport the rest of the company into a future we’re yet to build. A big part of the role of a product designer at Canva is to be a visionary—visualising and reinventing the future of design.
Product designers at Canva take the dream and make it something everyone can relate to and rally behind. We start from the very early stages: finding the right problem to tackle, exploring ideas for how to solve it and then refining it into a coherent solution. Our product designers carry out research, brainstorming, sketching, prototyping, and collaboration with our engineers to ship great products. We are empathetic user advocates and respect our users’ opinions through interviews, usability testing, and data analysis, as well as wireframing, flowcharting, and journey mapping to show the different stages that customers go through as they come into contact with Canva.
In this role, you'll get to collaborate closely with our Founders, Engineers, Group Leads, Researchers, Product managers and fellow designers to guide our future roadmap and turn Canva’s Video vision into a reality.
Goals you’ll achieve
- You'll audit the current video features in Canva and identify opportunities for improvement and quick wins.
- You'll craft Canva’s video editor alongside the team, with the aim of creating a storytelling tool that is competitive with other professional video softwares, and the mobile video market.
- You'll brainstorm with the team the future of video in Canva, and how we can continually simplify the video creation process.
- You'll design solutions which encourage exploration and play with multiple rich media items when curating a video, and other document types.
- You'll empower your team and other product designers to support the video team mission by proactively collecting and sharing the voice of the user, via user feedback, usability testing and other qualitative and quantitative data.
What you'll do
- You will proactively search for and identify high impact problems to solve through research and user empathy. You will use and encourage your team to use data and user feedback to inform team decisions.
- You will seek out and collaborate with design, engineering and product stakeholders across the business to ensure a cohesive vision for the future of data visualisation tools at Canva.
- You will exercise your craft, identifying and producing the necessary visual assets to effectively communicate and test your solutions in order to arrive at high quality designs that are simple, elegant, inclusive and accessible.
- You will, with the help of your team, regularly design and ship new product improvements and features that support millions of active users.
What we’re looking for
- You are a designer that enjoys making videos or animations in your spare time, perhaps you have a Youtube Channel or love injecting motion into your prototypes.
- When you present, you love to craft an amazing story. You think about taking your audience on a journey and crafting it for maximum impact.
- A portfolio that demonstrates experience in product thinking where you have previously shipped UX/UI design for digital products.
- You have strong foundational graphic design skills, with an appreciation for typography, hierarchy, colour and balance.
- You are a creative problem solver that’s excited by a challenge. You enjoy sitting in a room and whiteboarding ideas to confidently come up with simple, elegant solutions that everyone can move forward with.
- You are resourceful and enjoy a little flexibility in your work. Our growth means there are constantly new things to work on every day, as such it’s likely that you’ll often be working across the board on new and exciting projects.
- You are a designer that is constantly inspired—motivating those around you through your passion and drive for what you do.
- You are excited by regularly coming up with new ideas, shipping new products and features that address your users’ real needs.
- You shine through your designs—creating user flows and wireframes that simplify user interactions
- You are eager to visually communicate your ideas through prototypes to test with users.
- You thrive in a collaborative workplace; partnering with other designers, engineers, product developers and other disciplines throughout the company.
- You appreciate big picture thinking. While details are everything, creating an experience that always keeps our users in mind is equally as important.
- You are an empathetic user advocate that values the backing of research and data analysis when it comes to designing modern solutions.
What the candidate will learn and how will they develop at Canva
- At Canva you will build your strategic muscle in close collaboration with product and engineering to drive the short and long-term goals and outcomes for an important area of product growth.
- You will have the space to deepen your design knowledge in the technical field of data visualisation and advance your craft, championing new design interactions that transform Canva’s capabilities whilst building relationships with some of the most talented designers and engineers across the industry.
Canva is currently one of Australia’s hottest technology startups and has been ranked Australia’s #1 place to work.
We mean it when we say we want to create a workplace that you love coming to. Our culture is unlike anywhere else and our offices are designed with workspaces for every mood, to help you do great work. At Canva you can be part of a company that is growing rapidly, building a product that users really love.
Psst -We have two in-house chefs that whip up amazing breakfasts and lunches for the whole team - check out what's cooking at: https://instagram.com/canvalife
Being a Force for good.
One of our core values at Canva, “Being a force for good” means we are actively working towards a world that isn't just good for a small few, but one that’s good for everyone. We believe deeply that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key for building the best product for our equally diverse community. To achieve this, we need to constantly work towards making Canva the best place to work, for everyone.
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion. If you’re keen to apply and need reasonable adjustments or would like to note which pronouns you use at any point in the application or interview process, please let us know.