We’re constantly working towards making Canva the best place to work, for everyone. We believe deeply that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key for building the best product for our equally diverse community all around the world. We celebrate uniqueness and whatever makes you, you and encourage everyone who wants to help us transform the way the world designs, to join us on this journey. We value all different types of experiences. If you don’t think you quite meet all of the qualifications, we’d still love to hear from you.
At Canva, our mission is to democratise design and empower creativity for anyone and everyone, on every platform. Inspired by a team of talented thinkers, an amazing culture and a remarkable growth trajectory – we’re out to change the world, one design at a time.
Since launch in August 2013, we have grown exponentially, amassing over 60 million monthly active users across 190 different countries who have created more than 6 Billion designs. We are one of the world’s fastest-growing technology companies and we have only achieved about 1% of what we want to do.
Product Design at Canva
One of the principles of our design team is to 'Show the future'. As Designers, we transport the rest of the company into a future we're yet to build. A big part of a Product Designer's role at Canva is to be a visionary—visualising and reinventing the future of design.
Product Designers at Canva take the dream and make it something everyone can relate to and rally behind. We start from the very early stages: finding the right problem to tackle, exploring ideas for solving it, and then refining it into a coherent solution. Our product designers carry out research, brainstorming, sketching, prototyping, and collaboration with our engineers to ship great products. We are empathetic user advocates and respect our users' opinions through interviews, usability testing, data analysis, wireframing, flowcharting, and journey mapping to show the different stages that customers go through as they come into contact with Canva.
About the Print Group
The Print Group mission is to empower the world to truly design and print anything, anywhere.
Canva Print is an essential part of the Design process and "Publish Anywhere" is a core mission pillar of the company. The Group Design Lead will play a vital role in building a world class design-to-print business that serves a global user base and does so in an environmentally and ethically sustainable manner
We’ve seen incredible growth and we are rapidly scaling in this space, expanding our thriving Print product marketplace to over 90 countries and building the foundation of our eCommerce capabilities, but there is a whole lot more to do to achieve our vision and help propel us towards our mission.
About the role
In this role, you'll collaborate with the Print eCommerce Product team to shape, drive and execute on our Print eCommerce vision with fidelity and create e-commerce flows and experiences which continue to delight at scale that enables printing literally anything, anywhere.
You’ll start by driving the delivery of our Print eCommerce foundations and pushing it from concept to implementation and refinement
This is an amazing opportunity to make an impact in an environment that rewards initiative, creativity, and independence.
What you’ll do
- As a product designer on the team, you will carry out: research, brainstorming, sketching, prototyping, and collaboration with our engineers to ship great products - finding the right problem to tackle, exploring ideas for how to solve it and then refining it into a coherent solution
- You will advocate for users and respect our users’ opinions through interviews, usability testing, and data analysis.
- You’ll create flowcharts, and journey maps to show the different stages that customers go through as they come into contact with Canva.
- You’ll visually communicate your ideas through prototypes to test with users and through vision decks to share with stakeholders
- You’ll partner with other designers, engineers, product developers and other disciplines throughout the company.
- You’ll rapidly iterate through different design solutions; bucking convention in favour of progressive ideas.
- You’ll solve complex problems and whiteboard ideas to confidently come up with simple, elegant solutions that everyone can move forward with.
- You are able to understand the different trade-offs and align design solutions to Canva business goals. Activities include: writing well-balanced Strat docs; providing different design options to show trade-offs; creating hypothesis and experiments focussing on revenue and MAU growth; ability to apply industry trends to Canva scenarios and designs
Experience you’ll need
- 4 + years experience as a product designer building and shipping applications or software — prior eCommerce experience is a huge plus.
- Experience representing work to stakeholders, clearly and succinctly articulating the goals and concepts
- Experience showcasing your end-to-end design process across multiple projects, that include interaction and visual design artifacts, multiple iterations, high-fidelity prototypes, and consideration of the impact and scale of work
- Experience connecting your work with other industry-leading related initiatives across the company while driving collaboration
- A portfolio that demonstrates experience in product thinking where you have previously shipped UX/UI design for digital products.
- You are a designer that is constantly inspired—motivating those around you through your passion and drive for what you do.
- You are excited by regularly coming up with new ideas, shipping new products and features that address your users’ real needs.
- You shine through your designs—creating user flows and wireframes that simplify user interactions
- You are eager to visually communicate your ideas through prototypes to test with users.
- You thrive in a collaborative workplace; partnering with other designers, engineers, product developers, and other disciplines throughout the company.
- You appreciate big picture thinking. While details are everything, creating an experience that always keeps our users in mind is equally as important.
- You are a problem solver that’s excited by a challenge. You enjoy sitting in a room and whiteboarding ideas to confidently come up with simple, elegant solutions that everyone can move forward with.
- You are an empathetic user advocate that values the backing of research and data analysis when it comes to designing modern solutions.
- You enjoy a little flexibility in your work. Our growth means there are constantly new things to work on every day, as such it’s likely that you’ll often be working across the board on new and exciting projects.
Canva is currently one of Australia’s hottest technology startups and has been ranked Australia’s #1 place to work.
We mean it when we say we want to create a workplace that you love coming to. Our culture is unlike anywhere else and our offices are designed with workspaces for every mood, to help you do great work. At Canva you can be part of a company that is growing rapidly, building a product that users really love.
Psst -We have two in-house chefs that whip up amazing breakfasts and lunches for the whole team - check out what's cooking at: https://instagram.com/canvalife
Being a Force for good.
One of our core values at Canva, “Being a force for good” means we are actively working towards a world that isn't just good for a small few, but one that’s good for everyone. We believe deeply that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key for building the best product for our equally diverse community. To achieve this, we need to constantly work towards making Canva the best place to work, for everyone.
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion. If you’re keen to apply and need reasonable adjustments or would like to note which pronouns you use at any point in the application or interview process, please let us know.