This is a rare opportunity to work for an organisation that performs as a leader in manufacturing in Australia - and continues its transition from a paint manufacturer to a hybrid manufacturer and retailer. This is where you as a seasoned retail manager come in to:
- Lead and inspire a multi-site structure with over 200 team members
- Leverage your experience in building, maturing & growing a retail arm or business in a medium-large environment
- Take full responsibility for P&L incl. results on operating profit of your store network.
As Head of Retail you will be leading the Haymes Paint Shop (HPS) company owned network of currently over 40 stores through your team of Regional Managers.
Whilst the scope is national and much of the time is spent on the road, the role is envisaged to spend one day a week with the Sales Team in Ballarat and one day a week with the Marketing stakeholders based in Abbotsford. The role therefore is planned to be based in Victoria. If you can demonstrate, you can meet the demands and live elsewhere, we would also love to hear from you.
From our humble beginnings in 1935, Haymes Paint has grown to become Australia’s largest Australian made and owned manufacturer of premium brand paints, finishes, and protective coatings. Now in our third generation of family ownership, we haven't slowed down on bringing new and better products to the market, always looking for new advances or opportunities for innovation. Our values of Truth, Passion, Motivation, Respect plus Listening and Learning are reflected in everything we do.
How Haymes Paint has got you covered:
- A family-owned and operated Australian business with deeply rooted values.
- An easy work recipe - come to work, contribute to continue the Haymes Paint story, do it safely, go home fulfilled and well.
- We all chip in – we are hands on, invite ideas and help each other.
- We are firm believers of the power of human connectedness for us and the community.
- We have a bias for action - We have processes to support our work, but we can also navigate ambiguity and work through things on the fly.
- We encourage you to be authentic Haymes Paint ambassadors by offering up to 50% off the retail price of Haymes Paint manufactured products.
- We care for our team’s wellbeing - we provide access to coaching and counselling through our Employee Assistance Program (EAP) & 6% discounted private health cover and living better events.
- We value the currency trust and pay a fair annual salary commensurate with experience.
- We are growing – we provide training, encourage self-driven learning, support our teams to be stimulated and develop within their roles or to whip up their next development move.
- Not everything we offer is prescribed but we consider people’s unique needs so they can come to work and perform at their best.
- We run regular engagement surveys to stay on the pulse of our team's experience.
- We are sustainable because we embrace change and continually ask ourselves if there are more polished ways to deliver our purpose and be better corporate citizens.
A day in the life...
- Provide leadership to and oversee the retail operations Network to ensure the stores are operating effectively and in line with financial performance targets.
- Provide input to and lead the Retail Operations strategy and roadmap, and influence decisions regarding Haymes Paint Retail Sales and a high calibre structure.
- Maintain and apply a broad understanding of retail financial metrics to ensure decisions and recommendations are fiscally sound and responsible,
- Inspire and coach your people on best practice retail standards to ensure an exceptional customer experience is executed across all stores.
- Build high performing teams by ensuring the 'how' we achieve results reflects our High Five values and culture.
- Harness and drive new product and service innovations with key stakeholders and their fit for purpose and scalable implementation.
Your primers are:
Retail Acumen / Experience
- Significant demonstrated track record of success in a reputable large scale retail operations environment paired with a thorough understanding of the hardware retail landscape
- Understanding of what a good retail experience looks like from a customer perspective and a team perspective - presentation standards, processes, service, safety and in-store vibe.
- Focus on achieving financial & service targets, inventory management, exemplary store presentation, consistent execution of merchandising & marketing initiatives, loss prevention & management.
Adaptive and Authentic Leadership
- Recognised as a people leader who leads from the front but also empowers their team to drive the retail operations strategy and provide outstanding operational leadership.
- Focused on empathy to create a culture of accountability and boost well-being as well as the bottom line.
- Ability to lead consistent, respectful and effective discussions with team and customers
- Ability to manage up and down, you are extremely relatable and influential and build durable & trusting relationships with internal and external stakeholders across all levels.
- As a true merchant you understand metrics and ratios impacting the operating profit.
- Ability to understand the levers to pull that can change business outcomes.
- Foresight enabling you to analyse the industry, competition & customer landscape to positively influence sales
Relevant tertiary qualifications in business or a related degree or equivalent competency
Confidence in our skills sometimes has us second guess our suitability, we strongly encourage you to apply if you think this is a role that would make you excited to come into work every day and learn to fill these boots. After all a growth mindset is what helps us keeping our skills relevant.
For a confidential conversation contact Head of Sales, David McCormack on 0407 033 640 or alternatively reach out to Recruitment Manager, Janina Isted on 0499 423 855.
Please note, we may start assessing applications as we receive them and appoint when a suitable candidate is identified.
We are a 2023 Circle Back Initiative Employer – we commit to respond to every applicant.
Applications will only be considered from candidates with the right to work in Australia. Haymes Paint do not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Haymes Paint is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.