We’re constantly working towards making Canva the best place to work, for everyone. We believe deeply that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key for building the best product for our equally diverse community all around the world. We celebrate uniqueness and whatever makes you, you and encourage everyone who wants to help us transform the way the world designs, to join us on this journey. We value all different types of experiences. If you don’t think you quite meet all of the qualifications, we’d still love to hear from you.
At Canva, our mission is to democratise design and empower creativity for anyone and everyone, on every platform. Inspired by a team of talented thinkers, an amazing culture and a remarkable growth trajectory – we’re out to change the world, one design at a time.
Since launch in August 2013, we have grown exponentially, amassing over 60 million monthly active users across 190 different countries who have created more than 6 Billion designs. We are one of the world’s fastest-growing technology companies and we have only achieved about 1% of what we want to do.
Product Design at Canva
One of the principles of our design team is to 'Show the future'. As Designers, we transport the rest of the company into a future we're yet to build. A big part of a Product Designer's role at Canva is to be a visionary—visualising and reinventing the future of design.
Product Designers at Canva take the dream and make it something everyone can relate to and rally behind. We start from the very early stages: finding the right problem to tackle, exploring ideas for solving it, and then refining it into a coherent solution. Our product designers carry out research, brainstorming, sketching, prototyping, and collaboration with our engineers to ship great products. We are empathetic user advocates and respect our users' opinions through interviews, usability testing, data analysis, wireframing, flowcharting, and journey mapping to show the different stages that customers go through as they come into contact with Canva.
About the Print Group
The Print Group mission is to empower the world to truly design and print anything, anywhere.
Canva Print is an essential part of the Design process and "Publish Anywhere" is a core mission pillar of the company. The Group Design Lead will play a vital role in building a world leading design-to-print business that serves a global user base and does so in an environmentally and ethically sustainable manner
We’ve seen incredible growth and we are rapidly scaling in this space, expanding our thriving Print product marketplace to over 90 countries and building the foundation of our eCommerce capabilities, but there is a whole lot more to do to achieve our vision and help propel us towards our mission.
About the role
In this role, you'll collaborate with our founders, Product, Engineer and Group Leads, with the Researchers, Product and Content Designers, to shape, drive and support the team to implement the Print vision with fidelity and create experiences which continue to delight at scale that enables printing literally anything, anywhere.
You'll guide the processes for how the team works—helping the team set roadmaps and strategies for the future. You'll also need to ensure all the Print Product Designers are supported and doing the best work.
This is an amazing opportunity to lead and grow a talented Product Design team in an environment that rewards initiative, creativity, and independence.
What you’ll do
- You'll lead Product Design projects across Canva Print
- You'll collaborate with Product Managers and Engineering Leads to make sure you’re prioritizing the most important features.
- You'll clearly communicate future design directions with key stakeholders including Group Leads, Design Leaders and Founders.
- You'll plan for future design resourcing needs with the Head of Design
- You'll help provide clarity to your design team through clear articulation of vision, strategy.
- You'll provide design feedback to team members with sensitivity and honesty, helping them to grow and develop their skills
- You'll research competitors, trends, patterns and best-practises, UX design inspiration, user and business insights
- You'll ensure our designers always design to our high standards of simplicity and usability.
- You'll produce and integrate effective & efficient design practices
- You'll support the team’s scalability through documentation and process improvement.
- You'll help to provide clarity to your design team through clear articulation of vision and strategy, especially while going through periods of ambiguity or roadblocks
- You'll ensure the culture of two-way continuous feedback, offering a direct, open and objective communication style
- You'll help other Product Designers to grow and develop their abilities through thoughtful and effective coaching
- You'll celebrate the contribution of self and others
Experience you’ll need
- Experience as a Product Design Lead directing strategy and design across a team
- Extensive experience communicating with senior stakeholders
- Strong design coaching experience - you know how to make an impact through empowering, growing and motivating other designers.
- A track-record of tackling complex problems and delivering simple, elegant solutions. You hold a high-bar for designing clean, elegant, and usable designs.
- Deep understanding of how to uncover user needs through research and user empathy.
- Extensive experience working with Engineers on feasibility, detailed design and finding solutions to complex problems.
- Experience working with Brand Designers, Graphic Designers and a strong empathy for graphic design and its impact on business results.
- A strong sense of design ethics - understanding that the design decisions we make at Canva impact millions of lives, everyday.
- A portfolio that demonstrates experience in product thinking where you have previously shipped UX/UI design for digital products.
- You enjoy a little flexibility in your work. Our growth means there are constantly new things to work on every day, as such it’s likely that you’ll often be working across the board on new and exciting projects.
Canva is currently one of Australia’s hottest technology startups and has been ranked Australia’s #1 place to work.
We mean it when we say we want to create a workplace that you love coming to. Our culture is unlike anywhere else and our offices are designed with workspaces for every mood, to help you do great work. At Canva you can be part of a company that is growing rapidly, building a product that users really love.
Psst -We have two in-house chefs that whip up amazing breakfasts and lunches for the whole team - check out what's cooking at: https://instagram.com/canvalife
Being a Force for good.
One of our core values at Canva, “Being a force for good” means we are actively working towards a world that isn't just good for a small few, but one that’s good for everyone. We believe deeply that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key for building the best product for our equally diverse community. To achieve this, we need to constantly work towards making Canva the best place to work, for everyone.
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion. If you’re keen to apply and need reasonable adjustments or would like to note which pronouns you use at any point in the application or interview process, please let us know.