Canva’s Commitment and Mission
At Canva, we celebrate diversity. We deeply believe that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key to building the best product, team and company. We look for many different skills and abilities, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. So, even if you don’t think you quite meet all of the skills listed or tick all the boxes, we’d still love to hear from you!
Our mission at Canva is to empower the world to design and since launching in 2013, we have grown exponentially, amassing over 100+ million monthly active users across 190 different countries and a team of over 3,000 people… and the best bit is that we’ve only achieved 1% of what we know we’re capable of.
Join us and design your future.
About the Global Communications Group at Canva
The Communications team’s mission is to position Canva as one of the most loved and innovative companies in history by showcasing our narrative, scaling our channels, amplifying our stories, safeguarding our reputation, and growing our brand. Canva’s Global Communications team drives the strategic message behind Canva’s corporate, internal and brand communications. We’re responsible for working with the media, our team, analysts, policymakers, and the community to share the story of our growing business and the universal need for visual communication.
About the role
The Communications Manager, Newsroom will be critical to scaling the Canva Newsroom; a core pillar of fundamentally evolving our approach to communications while efficiently scaling our impact through earned channels with priority markets and audiences.
You’ll play an important part in continuing to scale the editorial model we’ve built, supporting the Global Newsroom Editor to implement a global editorial and content amplification strategy to share everything from product launches to thought leadership, opinion pieces, community stories, and business announcements with the world.
You’ll support both the strategy and day-to-day execution of our editorial calendars, content creation process, international scaling, measurement, and reporting; ensuring the Newsroom becomes the anchor point for our global communications strategy.
What you’ll do
- Support the Global Newsroom Editor to implement our Global Newsroom strategy, partnering closely with the wider Communications team, as well as our Product, Engineering, Brand Marketing, Social Media, SEO, and International Marketing teams to support our expansion into new markets.
- Ideate, pitch, source and write impactful and engaging content that helps to share our culture, values, perspective, products, and vision. This includes managing the workflow of content creation, working with our creative team on asset development as well as sourcing, drafting, and publishing content.
- Work with multiple teams and collaborators across the company to surface new creative storytelling and content that further entrenches Canva as a leader in visual communication while building an engaged audience across multiple verticals.
- Work with the Newsroom Editor and our Global Services, Engineering, and Growth Marketing teams to build and launch localized versions of the Canva Newsroom in our key growth markets.
- Support the codifying and scaling of our amplification strategy, including social, press, paid content, SEO, and lifecycle.
- Collaborate with our PR and Social team to extend the voice and reach of the Canva Newsroom across other owned and earned channels, including Twitter, LinkedIn, Glassdoor, BuiltIn, Instagram, and YouTube.
- Work closely with our broader Global Communications function to draft speeches, keynotes, opinion pieces, and thought leadership.
- Adhere to and champion our global editorial guidelines.
- Support other communications activities and campaigns as part of the Global Communications team.
What we’re looking for
- You have proven experience in a communications or journalism role; working in or managing a fast-paced newsroom or rapid-response media program will be advantageous.
- You have a creative eye and passion for storytelling with experience writing for various audiences across a variety of formats (blog posts, news articles, speeches, reports, presentations, EDMs, social media, etc).
- You are naturally tenacious, inherently curious, ready to pitch in, and able to deliver high-quality work under tight time constraints while balancing competing priorities.
- Attention to detail, the ability to remain flexible, and superb organizational skills are critical for success in this role.
- You are someone who will champion and evangelize our values and culture through Canva’s messaging – alignment to these values as well as a genuine curiosity about our mission and vision is critical for this role.
- You will thrive working with a wide range of collaborators and will be motivated by being part of a fast-growing and innovative company; building and learning on the go while taking on complex challenges across global markets.
Being a Force for good. One of our core values at Canva, “Being a force for good” means we are actively working towards a world that isn't just good for a small few, but one that’s good for everyone. We believe deeply that bringing together a diversity of thoughts, perspectives, and expression is key to building the best product for our equally diverse community. To achieve this, we need to constantly work towards making Canva the best place to work, for everyone.
Working at Canva
Our culture is unlike anywhere else and we design your #CanvaLife experience to empower you to do the best work of your life.
Whether you’re in the office, working from home or choosing your own adventure, our benefits for permanent Canvanauts include:
• Equity packages for you to truly be a part of the Canva journey.
• We have a hybrid work model (in-office & from home), with our offices are always open to you balancing flexibility and connection
• Flexible leave so you can recharge, give back, support others or focus on your own professional development.
• Inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents and carers throughout their parenting and caring journey.
• An annual Vibe & Thrive allowance. This is for you to spend on whatever will support your wellbeing and development.. because you know what you need to Vibe and Thrive, better than anyone.
• Virtual and in-office wellness benefits including Canva University, Employee Assistant Programs and Fitness & Meditation Classes.
• Canva For Good program matching your not-for-profit donations, Force for Good leave (3 paid volunteering days) and a range of sustainability and ethical initiatives to get involved in.
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion. Please note that interviews are conducted virtually. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.