We’re constantly working towards making Canva the best place to work, for everyone. We believe deeply that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key for building the best product for our equally diverse community all around the world. We celebrate uniqueness and whatever makes you, you and encourage everyone who wants to help us transform the way the world designs, to join us on this journey. We value all different types of experiences. If you don’t think you quite meet all of the qualifications, we’d still love to hear from you.
At Canva, our mission is to democratise design and empower creativity for anyone and everyone, on every platform. Inspired by a team of talented thinkers, an amazing culture and a remarkable growth trajectory – we’re out to change the world, one design at a time.
Since launch in August 2013, we have grown exponentially, amassing over 60 million monthly active users across 190 different countries who have created more than 6 Billion designs. We are one of the world’s fastest-growing technology companies and we have only achieved about 1% of what we want to do.
The Observability Team is responsible for all operational insights inside Canva. Our goal is to provide our development team with world-class tools to view how their services are performing in production. We achieve this by combining industry-leading third-party solutions with our own in-house developed solutions. We work across the entire stack maintaining our metrics and logging Java libraries, our logging and metrics infrastructure, error and alert routing, and our incident management process to name just a few. As we scale all of these areas require more sophisticated solutions to ensure that Canva developers can continue to grow without compromising on reliability or availability.
- As a technical lead on the team, you will guide the design and implementation of some of our major projects like scaling our Logging, Metrics and Tracing tooling
- As an experienced Observability engineer, help identify gaps in Observability tooling at Canva and help take it to the next level
- Be proactive in modernizing our Observability tooling and participate in brainstorming and POC'ing to determine how we can improve our existing systems
- Become an expert on the area of Observability and evangelise the benefits of proper instrumentation throughout the organisation
- Help build new features into our Logging and Alerting pipelines to ensure that people are getting notified for errors that are related to their domains
- Help develop solutions to solve difficult problems such as how to deal with high-cardinality metrics which we can’t solve with our existing tooling
- Guide and mentor people on the team and help them grow out their skills and knowledge
Required experience and background
- Comfortable and happy to code in either Python, Java or Golang (the interview will be either in Java or Python)
- Deep knowledge and understanding of Computer Engineering fundamentals and first principles
- Experience with Observability tooling - having competency with tools like Datadog, Elasticsearch, Kibana, Loggly, Sentry, or similar
- Experience with infrastructure-as-code, we're a Terraform shop, but strong experience with other IaC tools will do the trick
- The ability to guide and mentor other members within the team and improve the way we collaborate, learn, and share ideas
- This role requires a lot of documentation and internal client-facing; therefore strong written and verbal communication skills are required
Not essential; but helpful experience
- Experience writing application code in Java since we also maintain the metrics, tracing and logging java libraries.
- Experience building and running monitoring infrastructure on a large scale. For example, Terabyte-scale Elasticsearch clusters, Prometheus, Kibana, Grafana, etc
- Experience with OpenTelemetry or writing code in Golang since we are adopting OpenTelemetry in a lot of the tooling we provide.
Perks and Benefits
- Competitive salary, plus stock options via our ESOP plan
- Flexible daily working hours, we value work-life balance
- Breakfast and lunch prepared by our wonderful Vibe team
- Onsite-Gym and Yoga Membership
- End-of-Trip Facilities: Bicycle parking and showers
- Generous parental (including secondary) leave policy
- Pet-friendly offices
- Internal Coaches and an Employee Wellness Program
- Sponsored social clubs, team events, and celebrations
- Relocation budget for interstate or overseas individuals (including visa sponsorship)
The Canva workspace is set up for you to do your best work and have a great time doing so, with breakout areas, little nooks, and quiet places to retreat.
Want to experience Canva for yourself?
Check out what life is like at Canva on Instagram
Check out what our users are saying about us on Twitter
If you're seeking professional growth and enjoy working on large, distributed, cloud-based applications that delight our millions of individual and business users alike - then apply now to be considered for the position!
Please be mindful that due to COVID-19, visa processing delays, and travel restrictions, feedback on overseas applications may take a few weeks. Regardless, if you require visa sponsorship and international relocation, we still encourage you to apply and express your interest nonetheless, so that we may contact you when restrictions are eased.
Please ensure you have at least two (2) years of post-University commercial experience as a Software Engineer and meet the mandatory sponsorship requirements laid out by the Department of Home Affairs.
We will not accept or review any CVs from external recruitment agencies.
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion. If you’re keen to apply and need reasonable adjustments or would like to note which pronouns you use at any point in the application or interview process, please let us know.