We’re constantly working towards making Canva the best place to work, for everyone. We believe deeply that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key for building the best product for our equally diverse community all around the world. We celebrate uniqueness and whatever makes you, you and encourage everyone who wants to help us transform the way the world designs, to join us on this journey. We value all different types of experiences. If you don’t think you quite meet all of the qualifications, we’d still love to hear from you.
At Canva, our mission is to democratise design and empower creativity for anyone and everyone, on every platform. Inspired by a team of talented thinkers, an amazing culture and a remarkable growth trajectory – we’re out to change the world, one design at a time.
Since launch in August 2013, we have grown exponentially, amassing over 60 million monthly active users across 190 different countries who have created more than 6 Billion designs. We are one of the world’s fastest-growing technology companies and we have only achieved about 1% of what we want to do.
About Content & Discovery
The Content and Discovery super-group consists of 5 groups, 30+ teams and 200+ individuals who work together towards two common goals:
To bring every ingredient needed to create any design into Canva’s platform by working with a diverse range of template designers, illustrators, photographers and other content producers. This includes templates, photos, illustrations, videos, audio, graphics and more.
To surface this content strategically to maximise engagement in the Canva platform, and to surface this content selectively through Google to acquire new users searching for design and template solutions. This means building search and discovery features in the app, building SEO marketplaces and scaling these products internationally.
Your role will be to lead the operations of our new contributor product Canva Creators. Canva Creators is a new product within Canva which allows Creators to create, publish and earn from their designs on Canva. We launched our beta product in June 2020 and we are now starting to build our Marketplace with quality Designers, Teachers and Non-profits. The team consists of product engineering / development, community, education and review.
We’re looking for an operational powerhouse with a proven track record of delivering results with global teams that are rapidly scaling.
You thrive building systems, teams and processes that accommodate change and allow for growth. You understand the people part of effective operations as much as the data-driven aspect, and are comfortable playing to both.
You have a collaborative spirit and the ability to thrive in a fast paced, entrepreneurial environment, ready to roll up your sleeves and work with a varied range of stakeholders and teams.
You’re focused on growth, hyper organized and an effective communicator. You’re passionate about what you do, and ready to take on the biggest challenge of your career at Canva.
- Partner with Product Management, Engineering, Community, Education and Review teams to build strategies, define priorities and clarify roles and responsibilities
- Lead the operational aspects of international scaling including identifying key markets, direction on how to accelerate team growth internationally and how to execute on those plans, forecasting hiring needs, developing processes and ways-of-working for new teams (inc. how they interact with existing teams and processes)
- Develop a comprehensive understanding of the vision, goals and priorities of the team and work with data to drive short- and long-term planning
- Observe and analyse team processes, work-flows and collaboration, in order to create and optimise processes that lead to team efficiencies and growth
- Identify team needs with regard to resourcing, process, tools, documentation and asset management
- Working in partnership with Product Design to ensure quality across all aspects of the team - onboarding, review, hiring - through tools and ways-of-working
- Coach team members on best practice considerations and methods for international operations and scaling team sizes. Team members may be from various crafts including Review, Community and Operations.
- Support on milestone definition and lead delivery roadmaps including the alignment of timings, clearing blockers and ensuring the team delivers on their goals
- Work alongside our HR teams to rapidly scale the team internationally including forecasting, hiring and the standardisation of our terms globally
- Play a lead role in aligning and influencing relevant stakeholders across teams and specialities, facilitating and building out best practice workflows.
Goals you'll achieve in the first 3-6 months
- Create team alignment to ensure focused growth. Roll up your sleeves and start working with our Canva Creators teams to clarify roles and responsibilities, ensure work is focussed on key priorities, optimise processes, and build relationships across the wider Canva business.
- Develop, and deliver, a strategy for international scale. Partnering with our Product Manager to develop and deliver a strategy for scaling in our next 10 priority locales including identifying key markets, forecasting, hiring and the establishment of new teams on the ground around the world.
- Audit and optimise the Canva Creators review process. Audit the current review process and responsibilities - considering all facets from product through to creator education/feedback - and propose an operational strategy to optimise the process and clarify roles/remit.
Experience you'll need
- 8+ years of Operations or general management experience, with proven success in scaling teams and growing into international markets, in a tech company or within the creative field
- Experience prioritising, managing and tracking multiple projects and teams across multiple offices and locales
- A data junkie - we’re looking for someone who obsesses over metrics and uses numbers to prioritise pieces of work
- Experience working with, and optimising, a review process would be ideal
- Proven experience initiating and leading large-scale projects from brief through to delivery
- A natural leader who can rally teams of all kinds, and influence peers across the organisation
- A bias for action, constantly striving to get things done. You have a strong sense of urgency when it comes to unblocking teams
- Ability to think strategically (beyond just the here and now), and synthesise lots of complex information to come up with solutions with tangible impact
- Truly self-motivated with a desire to constantly learn, develop and grow in the role.
- A keen eye for detail and a strong desire to uphold high standards of excellence
- Keen presentation and great design skills (Canva’s made that bit easy!)
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion. If you’re keen to apply and need reasonable adjustments or would like to note which pronouns you use at any point in the application or interview process, please let us know.