An Australian start-up success story we're quietly proud of.
From a garage in Melbourne to the global stage is an achievement we're humbled by. Our idea to put pictures of houses on the internet has blossomed since 1995, and we now have businesses across Australia, India and North America.
Our purpose is to change the way the world experiences property. No matter where you're at on your property journey, we're here to help on every step - whether that's buying, selling, renting or renovating.
Some of our brands include realestate.com.au, realcommercial.com.au, Flatmates.com.au, Proptrack.com, Smartline.com.au and Mortgage Choice.
We're proud to be named in Australia's "Top 5" Best Workplaces two years in a row. This recognition is a great proof point of our unique and special culture. A culture that is driven by our people, our values, and our commitment to making a difference in the community.
What we’re doing
With us, you’ll experience impact. You’ll be part of our Data Services Tribe within Platform & Data group and are part of the broader Technology & Data Group. Our mission in Data Services is to make it easy to leverage REA data.
Data is at the heart of everything we do at REA. The Data Manager supports the business in making it easier for REA teams to build the rich data insights that underpin our data products, consumer and customer experiences, and internal analytics. They will build trust in our data by complying with regulatory requirements, reducing operational risk, establishing standards and monitoring adherence, and increasing confidence in data to drive business value and improved decision-making.
You will be responsible for:
- Leading the creation, implementation and oversight of data management objectives, standards, best practices in support of REAs goals.
- Establish frameworks, process and system controls to monitor and enforce data governance obligations across the group, with particular focus on privacy, security and risk outcomes.
- Shape, define and contribute to policies that govern and outline how data is owned, captured, processed, stored and shared inside and outside REA.
- Improve data discovery, observability, and quality across the group by creating and maintaining a metadata strategy covering business processing and technical metadata including integration with our data catalogue.
- Collaborate with Product & Technical leads across data services to ensure data management capabilities are enabled by best-in-class technology, tooling and automation.
- Line management of a team that includes Data Modelers, Data BAs, Engineers and Developers to enable interoperable, usable, high-quality data fit that’s for purpose.
- Using your stakeholder management and influencing skills to maintain a coordinated program of data publication across distributed REA teams.
- Champion the needs of data teams across the group including contributing to and leading forums and committees.
- Keeping up to date on and sharing insight on trends in the data engineering and analytics spaces.
We’d love it if you had
- 5-7 years in Data Management, Governance or a related role in the wider Data Industry
- Extensive experience and expertise across the data lifecycle – from capture to design, processing and storage, to consumption and analysis.
- Experience working with cloud data technologies such as BigQuery, MS SQL, Airflow, Kafka, AWS and Google suite, Tableau and other database, business intelligence or analytics vendor technologies
- Knowledge of data security and privacy requirements and practices.
- General knowledge of architecture, programming, system design, and database concepts.
- People management experience or an interest in growing it, and the ability to manage, coach and mentor others
- You have a passion for data and how it can be used to solve real problems, and are excited to champion its value to a business
- You are curious, someone who stays close to the industry, exploring best practice approaches and solutions.
- You have excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- You enjoy collaborating and build productive relationships with stakeholders across the organisation, both technical and non-technical. And you leverage your great relationships to influence change without direct authority
- People management experience or an interest in growing it, and the ability to manage coach and mentor others
But we don’t just look for someone based on their skills and expertise. It’s our connection, acceptance and genuine care for each other that makes REA a great place to work. That means you also need to be:
- Savvy minded and have curiosity to think a little left of field / outside the box
- A strong and creative communicator
- Friendly, approachable and have good relationship management skills
- An avid contributor to our inclusive culture - we celebrate different perspectives and all play an active role in creating a sense of belonging
The REA experience
The physical, mental, emotional and financial health of our people is something we’ll never stop caring about. This is a place to learn and grow. We’re committed to your development – both professionally and personally. Your experience with us is something we take seriously.
- A flexible working environment, meaning we strike the balance of what you need and what works for the business (and yes, our leaders fully understand the benefits of working flexibly)
- A hybrid approach to the future of work - https://rea.to/hybrid-working
- Generous and flexible parental leave offering for primary and secondary carers
- Summer Fridays – time back to focus on your wellness every Friday afternoon from December through to March
- Support for your mental and physical health and wellbeing via our ‘You Matter’ Program
- Because We Care program which includes volunteer leave and community grants, to ensure you have the opportunity to give back to your community
- Hack Days for you to bring so you can bring your big ideas to life in a supportive learning environment
- An additional day of leave just for your birthday
Oh, and by the way:
At REA we value diversity and inclusion in all forms. Gender, religion, ethnicity, LBTGIQ+, neurodiversity and so much more. Research shows that while men apply to jobs when they meet an average of 60% of the criteria, women and other marginalized folks tend to only apply when they check every box. So if you've got the must-haves, dedication and enthusiasm to learn but don't necessarily meet every single point on the job description, please still get in touch. We'd love to have a chat and see if you could be a great fit.