We’re constantly working towards making Canva the best place to work, for everyone. We believe deeply that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key for building the best product for our equally diverse community all around the world. We celebrate uniqueness and whatever makes you, you and encourage everyone who wants to help us transform the way the world designs, to join us on this journey. We value all different types of experiences. If you don’t think you quite meet all of the qualifications, we’d still love to hear from you.
At Canva, our mission is to democratise design and empower creativity for anyone and everyone, on every platform. Inspired by a team of talented thinkers, an amazing culture and a remarkable growth trajectory – we’re out to change the world, one design at a time.
Since launch in August 2013, we have grown exponentially, amassing over 60 million monthly active users across 190 different countries who have created more than 6 Billion designs. We are one of the world’s fastest-growing technology companies and we have only achieved about 1% of what we want to do.
About the group and Team
The Global Services Group comprises several localisation and internationalisation teams that include linguists, project managers, and engineers distributed throughout the company. The goal is to ensure that every user has a Canva experience that feels truly local, and to empower all Canvanauts with the tools and best practices they need to go global. This involves everything from developing a vision for the global user experience, through procuring translation services via LSPs, to maintaining localisation infrastructure roadmaps. By joining us, you’ll be involved in all stages of the development cycle in world-class product and marketing teams.
We’re looking for a Localization QA Manager to join Global Services’ Language Quality team. In this role, you’ll draw upon your passion for driving quality linguistic outcomes, your expertise in both localization and internationalization, and your excellent oral & written skills to implement best-in-class linguistic quality assurance policies & procedures at all levels. Your primary mission will be to plan, develop, and execute on a linguistic quality assurance framework that can be applied across the entire spectrum of content we localize at Canva. This is a high-impact opportunity and will be critical in helping to ensure our future success in new international markets.
What we're looking for
You have 5+ years of relevant experience in language quality management - you must have experience managing an LQA process and have worked in a localization team. You’re very familiar with translation or localization platforms (i.e. Smartling or similar CAT tools) and global translation agencies. You understand the global user experience and how to improve it, ideally from experience working in a localization/internationalization environment within a SaaS company. Speaking multiple languages is a huge bonus, as is vendor-side experience with localization.
You love taking things from chaos to clarity — you’re a natural at understanding ambiguous, complex problems and communicating them simply to others. You also have the drive to see things through despite changes and setbacks. You’re equally comfortable discussing detail with engineers and ideas with product managers and designers. You’re great with tech (Atlassian project management tools, basic web development) and you write a mean doc.
What you'll do:
- Act as one of Canva’s of LQA leaders, for both existing and future languages that will be rolled out across our mobile applications, desktop applications and additional web properties.
- Design workflows directly in our cloud-based translation management system that objectively optimize quality as well as manage key assets in the form of term bases and translation memories
- Utilize a metrics-driven approach to develop localization health scores, benchmarks, and KPIs
- Collaborate closely with vendors to ensure alignment and compliance with all quality-related protocols
- Triage functional bugs in Canva’s international products
- Analyze & Identify project risks, issues or disagreements, and take corrective/preventative action as necessaryLead cross-functional stakeholder meetings and conference calls, ad-hoc stand-ups, and post-mortems
- Evangelize & demonstrate the importance of linguistic quality and role it plays in driving international success
- Ensure the Canva brand/tone of voice is consistent across 100+ languages
- Find/address all issues with poor font support across various languages, with specificity to glyph substitution where necessary
- Continue to improve our existing our centralised LQA JIRA environment
- Optimise test scripts for linguistic testers for each platform mentioned above
- 5+ years of relevant experience in language quality management (and/or bachelors degree in relevant field)
- Proven experience managing an LQA process and working within localization team
- Familiar with translation or localization platforms (i.e. Smartling or similar CAT tools) and global translation agencies
- Excellent verbal and written English communication skills with the ability to clearly present the localization QA program to stakeholders
- Solid, in-depth knowledge of internationalization and localization conceptsAn organized, detail-oriented self-starter with proven abilities in program execution along with resource and risk management
- Ability to work independently and meet deadlines under pressure
- Deep knowledge & hands-on experience with computer aided translation (CAT) tools as well as Translation Management Systems, such as Memsource, SDL WorldServer or Smartling
- Technological aptitude to manage spreadsheets, documents, and collaborative online forums (MS Office, Google Docs).
- A desire and curiosity to continually innovate & expand one’s knowledge through education in localization trends and news and active participation in training opportunities
- Tech-savvy - coding experience isn’t necessary, but technical ability is important: basic HTML/CSS and Wordpress/CMS experience
- Strong interest in languages and the technology landscape - ideally you speak two or more languages and are familiar with Canva - bonus points if you have professional translation experience.
- Experience with visual regression testing platforms
- Competitive salary, plus equity options
- Flexible working hours, we value work-life balance
- In-house chefs that cook delicious breakfast and lunch for us each day
- Free Yoga membership
- Professional education allowance
- Generous parental leave policy
- Pet-friendly offices
- Sponsored social clubs and team events
- Fun and quirky celebrations
Being a Force for good.
One of our core values at Canva, “Being a force for good” means we are actively working towards a world that isn't just good for a small few, but one that’s good for everyone. We believe deeply that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key for building the best product for our equally diverse community. To achieve this, we need to constantly work towards making Canva the best place to work, for everyone.
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion. If you’re keen to apply and need reasonable adjustments or would like to note which pronouns you use at any point in the application or interview process, please let us know.