Canva’s Commitment and Mission
Ngā Manawanuitanga me ngā uaratanga o Canva
At Canva, we celebrate diversity. We deeply believe that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key to building the best product, team and company. We look for many different skills and abilities, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. So, even if you don’t think you quite meet all of the skills listed or tick all the boxes, we’d still love to hear from you!
Our mission at Canva is to empower the world to design and since launching in 2013, we have grown exponentially, amassing over 100+ million monthly active users across 190 different countries and a team of over 3,000 people… and the best bit is that we’ve only achieved 1% of what we know we’re capable of.
Join us and design your future.
Want to join Canva?
Lead the Design Automation group and be directly responsible for a team of frontend engineers who are making design faster and more enjoyable through automation.
About the group
This group is essential in fulfilling Canva's mission to 'empower the world to design' by using AI to automate design decisions for our users, irrespective of their design skill level. By making the editor 'smarter' through AI, you will have a huge impact in driving user growth and retention by taking our product to the next level.
We are exploring new territory. Outside the domain of pixels, Design AI is severely under-developed across the entire tech industry. Whilst conventional modern ML techniques clearly play a role in Design AI, much of it does not easily apply to working with structured design data or operating within the constraints of a browser-based editor. It’s necessary to combine modern ML with low-mid tech algorithms, design domain knowledge, heuristics, and crafty new inventions.
As our Software Engineering Manager, you will support multi-talented engineers in adopting new expertise and inventing new technologies.
What you'll do
- Coach, mentor, and strengthen a team of engineers (including emerging leaders) through project selection, knowledge sharing and balancing delivery expectations
- Nurture and grow skills in the team including machine learning, colour science, computational geometry, metaheuristics, design principles and related skills
- You will give meaningful input into the engineering direction and strategy for the group
- You will resource plan effectively as the feasibility of our projects are very tightly linked to the skills sets and strengths of specific engineers
- You will work closely with the Product Manager to understand and contribute to the product roadmap.
- You will drive the planning and refinement of seasonal goals, ensuring there is alignment between the company, group, and teams.
- You will own and drive the delivery of large, cross-team, and cross-group initiatives and projects from ideation to completion, with autonomy and independence of decision making.
What you bring
- Proven technical and people leadership, particularly leading full-stack teams (ideally including machine learning, though not essential) and growing leaders
- Experience or strong interest in design. This team works at the intersection of engineering and design so a genuine desire or proven experience in this space is essential
- Firmly grounded computer science and engineering fundamentals including concurrency, multithreading, data structures, solution design, architecture, and design patterns.
- You can effectively communicate (inside the team and outside) the value of short- and long-term features, translating technical details to the business value, building support and trust from stakeholders.
- Proven track record in running long-term engineering projects
This role is remote-friendly across Australia and New Zealand - you don't have to live in Sydney to make a huge impact at Canva. Apply now to be considered!
Working at Canva
Tō mahi ki te Canva
Our culture is unlike anywhere else and we design your #CanvaLife experience to empower you to do the best work of your life.
Whether you’re in the office, working from home or choosing your own adventure, our benefits for permanent Canvanauts include:
• Our benefits for permanent Canvanauts include: Flexible hours and working fully remotely from anywhere in New Zealand, which values your work-life balance because you know how you work best.
• Unique and flexible leave so you can recharge, give back, support others or focus on your own professional development.
• An inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents and carers throughout their parenting and caring journey.
• An annual Vibe & Thrive allowance. This is for you to spend on whatever will support your wellbeing and development. Because you know what you need to Vibe and Thrive, better than anyone.
• We have virtual wellness & development benefits including Canva University, Employee Assistant Programs, Fitness & Yoga Classes and other benefits to support your physical, mental, and social wellbeing.
• Canva For Good program matching your not-for-profit donations, Force for Good leave (3 paid volunteering days) and a range of sustainability and ethical initiatives to get involved in.
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion. Please note that interviews are conducted virtually. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process. / Ka whakatauhia e mātou ngā tikanga i runga i ōu whēako, ōu pūkenga me tō ngākaunui mō te mahi. Kia mahara mai; He uiuinga tata te uiui.Ina
tono koe, tēnā, kōrero mai ki a mātou ngā kupu hunga ingoa e whakamahia anae koe, me ngā rereketanga whaitake e hiahiatia ana e koe i te wā o te uiui.