We’re constantly working towards making Canva the best place to work, for everyone. We believe deeply that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key for building the best product for our equally diverse community all around the world. We celebrate uniqueness and whatever makes you, you and encourage everyone who wants to help us transform the way the world designs, to join us on this journey. We value all different types of experiences. If you don’t think you quite meet all of the qualifications, we’d still love to hear from you.
At Canva, our mission is to democratise design and empower creativity for anyone and everyone, on every platform. Inspired by a team of talented thinkers, an amazing culture and a remarkable growth trajectory – we’re out to change the world, one design at a time.
Since launch in August 2013, we have grown exponentially, amassing over 60 million monthly active users across 190 different countries who have created more than 6 Billion designs. We are one of the world’s fastest-growing technology companies and we have only achieved about 1% of what we want to do.
About the Ingredient Studio Creative Content Team
The Ingredient Studio is responsible for the management of Canva’s content library and all the tools we use to ingest, sort and produce content.
The Content Team’s mission is to make sure that the content in Canva is the best overall quality library of resources available. Its mission is to create high-quality, highly usable, on trend and super relevant content to fulfill a user’s need and to become the go-to place for all things related to design, for both our inhouse designers and our users.
Our Production Team is further divided into smaller teams that work on specific parts of the library.
About the role
The China ingredient Lead, will be responsible for enabling our production team to develop and maintain an amazing level of Craft & Communications. Separately, this role will work closely with the Design Campaign lead to align projects and Strategy, ensuring the team's work is effective and impactful. This role’s main responsibilities would include:
- Inspiring and growing craft excellence in our Ingredients Studio team, which expands across; photography, illustration, animation, videography & in the future, audio.
- Providing support and guidance to our amazing team leads in the areas of Craft, Communication, Strategy & Leadership.
- Evangelize both the Canva product and Canva Design to the design community
Inspiring and growing design craft excellence
As the China ingredient Lead, you would be leading by example in craft and leadership, assisting the team leads in growing the craft skill of every member of the team and developing strategies to expand expectations of impact. They should be present in weekly team meetings and 1:1s to support, enable and encourage illustrators and photographers in implementing good design craft in their own squads. They should inspire and grow craft excellence in the teams - overseeing the quality of research, design, and implementation.
The China ingredient Lead should be a source of inspiration—encouraging teams to think outside the box, be design leaders, and to always learn to improve the quality of their work. Equally important is to balance design quality with user needs, and creating content that is usable, approachable, and provides an amazing user experience.
The China ingredient Lead should work with our team leads to develop amazing onboarding practices and ensure that every designer who enters the team is familiar with all our Craft practices, and what’s expected of them. The China ingredient Lead should develop and maintain a repository of knowledge that’s easy for anyone to use - even if it’s their first day - ensuring all materials are accessible and simple.
The China ingredient Lead should cultivate an open culture, where all teams contribute to our shared knowledge base, and our craft overall - developing new styles, the best possible research, experimental design, and staying super up to date with all trends and new developments in the content & design space. They will work closely with the template and product teams to understand their roadmaps and ensure that our content evolves and leverages new features. You’ll create and refine our content style guides; and take initiative to raise the bar on quality, and propose and implement strategies to improve workflow and process.
The China ingredient Lead should act as an evangelist in both the Canva product, and Canva Design. This role should champion the amazing content the teams have directed and produced internally and externally to the creative community. This would help encourage up-and-coming content creators and top design leaders in the industry to join Canva. In order to do this, the ingredient Lead can come up with strategies and suggestions in order to make canva a creative industry leader.
* Championing craft excellence in the team:
- Ensuring high quality of creative output in; research, moodboarding, concepting, content production, art directing, usage examples & craft education.
- Providing craft mentorship/support to our design team, enabling us to incubate talent
- Ensure the team & vendors create with usability requirements in mind
* Championing the Canva product and content library to the creative community:
- Building the team with top talent helping us develop craft excellence and the best content.
* Understand and respond to team and stakeholder feedback, requirements and asks, developing content and projects that will help us on our mission:
- Work with the Ops Manager and manage the group in order to execute jobs successfully on deadline and to brief and complete projects that move impact metrics
- Own overall library curation and quality assurance content
- Research competitors, trends, patterns and best-practises, visual/interaction design inspiration, user and business insights
* Provide feedback to team members with sensitivity and honesty, helping them to grow and develop their skills
* Work closely with the team developing Canva’s product and actively pay attention to the new content-related features on the PROD-CN, ensure that local content effectively helps users make great designs
* Support the team’s scalability through documentation and process improvement.Produce and integrate effective & efficient creative practicesPlan for the future in building amazing and effective teams.
We'd love it if you are...
- Someone with 6+ years experience as an Senior Creative or team lead in the creative field with experience in directing content creation with a diverse range of output
- Someone who has a lot of experience in leading and mentoring creative teams of varying sizes, providing professional support and development for junior and senior designers
- A love for design and content, who displays a high level of design craft who is comfortable in different media, formats, and projects
- Someone who has the ability to communicate well and is able to share knowledge to a growing design team.
- A passion for pushing boundaries and pursuing excellence, with demonstrated experience in commissioning all types of creatives, in local and global situations.
- The confidence to try new things, and a passion for big ideas and storytelling
- The ability to work collaboratively in a multidisciplinary team environment;
- Someone who is comfortable with making detailed strategies and plans that can be executed
- Excellent English reading and writing skills, fluent communication is a plus
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion. If you’re keen to apply and need reasonable adjustments or would like to note which pronouns you use at any point in the application or interview process, please let us know.