We’re constantly working towards making Canva the best place to work, for everyone. We believe deeply that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key for building the best product for our equally diverse community all around the world. We celebrate uniqueness and whatever makes you, you and encourage everyone who wants to help us transform the way the world designs, to join us on this journey. We value all different types of experiences. If you don’t think you quite meet all of the qualifications, we’d still love to hear from you.
At Canva, our mission is to democratise design and empower creativity for anyone and everyone, on every platform. Inspired by a team of talented thinkers, an amazing culture and a remarkable growth trajectory – we’re out to change the world, one design at a time.
Since launch in August 2013, we have grown exponentially, amassing over 60 million monthly active users across 190 different countries who have created more than 6 Billion designs. We are one of the world’s fastest-growing technology companies and we have only achieved about 1% of what we want to do.
About content & discovery
As an integrated design platform, Canva contains over 60 million pieces of content: from templates to photos, icons, and fonts. The Content & Discovery Group work on the end to end creation and discovery experience of content – including surfacing content to millions of users. The Content and Discovery super-group consists of 5 groups, 30+ teams and 300+ individuals who work together towards two common goals:
To bring every ingredient needed to create any design into Canva’s platform by working with a diverse range of template designers, illustrators, photographers and other content producers. This includes templates, photos, illustrations, videos, audio, graphics and more.
To surface this content strategically to maximise engagement in the Canva platform, and to surface this content selectively through Google to acquire new users searching for design and template solutions. This means building search and discovery features in the app, building SEO marketplaces and scaling these products internationally.
The Head of Operations, Content & Discovery role will be responsible for building the systems, strategy and teams to dramatically scale Canva’s content operations & growth projects.
We’re looking for an operational powerhouse with a proven track record of delivering results. You thrive building systems, teams and processes that scale. You understand the people side of effective operations as much as the data-driven aspect, and are comfortable playing to both.
You have a collaborative spirit and the ability to thrive in a fast paced, entrepreneurial environment, ready to roll up your sleeves and work with a varied range of stakeholders and teams.
You’re hyper organized and an effective communicator. You’re passionate about what you do, and ready to take on the biggest challenge of your career at Canva.
- Build the vision and the strategy for 2022 and beyond. You’ll spend time understanding the business and product goals of Content & Discovery, and craft a vision for how the Operations speciality will evolve in the group.
- Build and coach effective teams. You’ll play a key role in bringing in key Operations hires to scale yourself, as well as supporting Product Managers and team leads to scale their workforces.
- Start delivering results. You’ll roll up your sleeves and start working with teams to deliver results immediately, mapping out the current landscape and working through the highest impact opportunities from building scalable systems to increasing engagement for a remote workforce.
What you'll be doing
- Oversee the holistic Operations strategy and systems related to Production and Distribution of content in the Content & Discovery group.
- Map out the current projects and workforce, build a strategy and vision to maximise effectiveness and team happiness.
- Maintain documentation and build dashboards that allow for quick and efficient understanding of resource capacity and project status.
- Oversee and manage significant content & design budgets.
- Hire and oversee a core team of Content & Design Operation program managers, who will partner directly with Product groups. Get started on high value areas while building out this team.
- Build and manage a hiring strategy to bring in contractors to support content and design initiatives – including designers, illustrations, SEO specialists, content writers, creative reviewers and more.
- Build a strategy for contractor happiness & engagement, designed to scale to global expansion.
- Oversee existing global operations teams working across several high impact initiatives.
- Play a lead role in aligning and influencing relevant stakeholders across teams and specialities, facilitating and building out best practice workflows.
Experience you'll need
- 10+ years’ experience working in an operations role in a creative, content or production environment with at least five years’ experience in a management or leadership capacity.
- In-depth knowledge of project management, resourcing and creative software
- Experience working with leadership teams translating content strategy into operational processes that are built for scale. A love for continually optimizing these processes to stay ahead of Canva’s needs
- Experience prioritising, managing and tracking multiple projects simultaneously with the ability to work autonomously in a fast-paced, high-growth environment.
- Proven experience of effectively managing large-scale projects from problem through to delivery
- You are passionate about content, design and the design process.
- You live for organising work and teams and you get the most out of the teams you work with
- You specialise in bringing clarity to chaos
- You can handle ambiguity
- You have a strong sense of urgency when it comes to unblocking teams
- Strong communication skills when talking to creative ideas with your team; empathy with creatives
Being a Force for good.
One of our core values at Canva, “Being a force for good” means we are actively working towards a world that isn't just good for a small few, but one that’s good for everyone. We believe deeply that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key for building the best product for our equally diverse community. To achieve this, we need to constantly work towards making Canva the best place to work, for everyone.
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion. If you’re keen to apply and need reasonable adjustments or would like to note which pronouns you use at any point in the application or interview process, please let us know.