We’re constantly working towards making Canva the best place to work, for everyone. We believe deeply that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key for building the best product for our equally diverse community all around the world. We celebrate uniqueness and whatever makes you, you and encourage everyone who wants to help us transform the way the world designs, to join us on this journey. We value all different types of experiences. If you don’t think you quite meet all of the qualifications, we’d still love to hear from you.
At Canva, our mission is to democratise design and empower creativity for anyone and everyone, on every platform. Inspired by a team of talented thinkers, an amazing culture and a remarkable growth trajectory – we’re out to change the world, one design at a time.
Since launch in August 2013, we have grown exponentially, amassing over 60 million monthly active users across 190 different countries who have created more than 6 Billion designs. We are one of the world’s fastest-growing technology companies and we have only achieved about 1% of what we want to do.
The finance team’s mission is to protect and serve Canva and its key stakeholders; that is protecting Canva from external pressures and risks whilst balancing the need to best serve our teams.
The vision is for Canva to be recognized and commended by its peers and stakeholders as having a world-class finance team.
As part of this team you will have the opportunity to:
Gain experience working at the headquarters of one of the world’s fastest growing tech companies; your work will impact millions of Canva’s global users
Learn from and work with some of Australia's best talent, including Canva’s founders, engineers, product and growth professionals
Develop and grow in a team focussed on its customers
About team tax
We want to make tax painless (our crazy big goal!). Our mission is to modernise a traditional tax cost centre into “Tax-as-a-Service” to ‘protect and serve’ the business, the needs of our employees, our investors, global Government and Tax Authorities where we operate, and ultimately the users of Canva’s amazing product. Our guiding principle is to operate in a manner that reflects our core value of being a good global citizen. We want to do all this within a fun and engaging environment that promotes collaboration, forward thinking and continuous improvement, all whilst making tax as painless as possible.
About the candidate
As Canva continues on this exciting period of growth and traverses the ever increasing complexity of the international tax landscape, there is now a need to grow the tax function to include a global R&D tax manager (we’ve thought of a good title: Tax Incentivisor, of course we are open to you coming up with something even more fun).
Canva is dedicated to innovation and because we want to sustain the creation of new knowledge on a globally competitive basis, we are looking for a team member who both understands and loves the process of securing incentives that help us keep doing what we do.
You’ll have a passion for making the complex simple and deep experience with the Australian R&D tax incentive program (experience with incentive programs internationally and accounting for R&D under IFRS and or US GAAP would be a bonus) with strong attention to detail and an aptitude for project management and using systems & technology.
Your friends and colleagues call you the “relationship builder” (or something quirky like that) because people love working with you and getting you involved in their projects. You really get stuff done (GSD) and make the process feel more fun than work.
At Canva, you’ll report to the Head of Tax, work closely with the global tax team, other members of the finance team, our globally based engineering teams, government bodies and our service providers to ensure we continue to meet the requirements of global R&D incentive programs.
This role will include ever evolving and complex tax laws requiring someone who loves to continuously update their knowledge and share that knowledge with others to build up expertise across the company. We want you to help develop tax knowledge at all levels and enjoy giving and receiving feedback to keep things moving at a fast pace.
At Canva, change is frequent, you’ll be comfortable working in a hands-on, dynamic environment and have excellent communication skills. Here is a snapshot to help you start imagining your future in this role:
Experimenters wanted: you’ll be doing R&D on our R&D process to develop and execute a strategy to monitor and manage R&D processes for tax and accounting to truly make tax as painless as possible and support Canva at scale
Global (did we mention we have engineering teams in nine countries and growing?): You’ll deeply understand Australian incentives,and for the rest of the world, we want to invest in developing your knowledge and experience globally and if you happen to come with this, don’t worry, we’ll help you find other crazy big goals to make happen
Be a force for good: You’ll become a trusted business partner, embodying our mission of “Tax as a Service” and helping play our part as good global citizens
What you'll do:
- Developing & executing a global strategy to manage R&D (accounting and tax)Providing expertise to global tax, corporate accounting and engineering teams around R&D incentives
- Developing & maintaining Strategies to manage R&D tax law changes and communicating these changes to key stakeholders in a timely manner
- Appropriate controls and processes to facilitate the successful (accurate and timely) completion and lodgement of global R&D compliance.
- Continually refreshing global processes to optimise for accuracy & speed
- Ensuring Canva is audit ready - data is available / automated where possible and defence files are developed contemporaneously (e.g. Australia’s justified trust review, audit proceedings)
- Championing the implementation and use of technology to deliver the R&D strategy that can scale and grow with Canva (make the complex simple)
- Appling R&D expertise to approved lobbying efforts to improve outcomes for Canva and the global tech ecosystem
- Operating as a valued advisor to key business segments (e.g. Leadership team, engineering team, Finance team)
- Providing ad-hoc tax advice to the Head of Tax, CFO and Directors around key strategic initiatives and growth into new markets.
- Working closely with Canva’s external tax service providers on tax-related workstreams
We would love it if you had:
- 8+ years of relevant experience
- Strong business acumen with problem-solving creativity and commercial judgement
- Highly organised with the ability to work under pressure and within set deadlines
- Exceptional communication and stakeholder management skills
- Self motivated with a desire to learn
- Experience working in the tech sector or an equally fast growing, ever-changing environment
- A keen eye for detail, a strong desire to keep learning and you enjoy upholding high standards of excellence and integrity in the services you deliver
- Operating in a fast paced environment you are able to adapt quickly, manage workloads and meet deadlines with support and oversight
- You have excellent communication skills and approach tasks with a problem solving attitude, with a constant lens of continuous improvement
This role will be located in Australia. Given our new remote working policy, we are open to candidates who live outside of Sydney (Canva’s headquarters). However, during the first 6 - 12 months and once the office re-opens, we anticipate that travel to Sydney may need to be greater than the “twice per season”currently required under the policy in order to capitalise on the benefits that in-person collaboration can have.
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion. If you’re keen to apply and need reasonable adjustments or would like to note which pronouns you use at any point in the application or interview process, please let us know.