We’re constantly working towards making Canva the best place to work, for everyone. We believe deeply that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key for building the best product for our equally diverse community all around the world. We celebrate uniqueness and whatever makes you, you and encourage everyone who wants to help us transform the way the world designs, to join us on this journey. We value all different types of experiences. If you don’t think you quite meet all of the qualifications, we’d still love to hear from you.
At Canva, our mission is to democratise design and empower creativity for anyone and everyone, on every platform. Inspired by a team of talented thinkers, an amazing culture and a remarkable growth trajectory – we’re out to change the world, one design at a time.
Since launch in August 2013, we have grown exponentially, amassing over 60 million monthly active users across 190 different countries who have created more than 6 Billion designs. We are one of the world’s fastest-growing technology companies and we have only achieved about 1% of what we want to do.
Engineering is a core part of who we are. We work hard to have a best of breed engineering culture. The engineering team takes pride in its focus on engineering fundamentals. The team strives to use the most appropriate tools for the tasks at hand, and to strike a measured balance between getting things done and long term maintainability. The team is tight, with no big egos, and welcomes self-driven engineers to come and join in on the adventure. Frequently engineers host engineering forums where new ideas, practices, and technologies are discussed – ensuring everyone on the team is continually learning and evolving.
The Canva code base was setup to scale; from day one. This has allowed for a unique environment where engineers spend most of their time optimising performance and releasing new features rather than fixing legacy code. This also ensures that it’s just more fun working on the code base. We also have a flat structure where engineers are invited to comment on the direction their peers are taking and are paired for pair-reviewing to occur. This ensures that knowledge around the code base is shared and speed of release occurs. You can find more about our engineering practices in this blog article (Medium Blog).
At present, we have over 10 million users, across web and mobile platforms, in 30 languages, in over 100 countries and we're growing exponentially. Why aren't you a part of that?
What you will do:
- Work with product designers and founders to build a next-generation web application with a focus on an exceptional user experience
- Build efficient and reusable front end abstractions and systems
- Participate in creating of design documents, build and develop the solutions you've created, and participate in code reviews
- Communicate with other team members to determine the best solutions to difficult problems
- Identify and communicate best practices for front and backend engineering
- Use a spacer.gif in our email templates every now and then :)
- A strong understanding of computer science fundamentals, with a strong understanding of concurrency, performance, data structures and design patterns
- Strong debugging and troubleshooting skills
- An analytical, yet creative, approach to problem solving
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- BONUS: Broader generalist knowledge of cloud, networking, and operating systemsCloud Infrastructure - AWS, Google, or Azure
- BONUS: Backend / Fullstack experience with Java is ideal, but not necessary - many of our engineers come from C#, Ruby, and PHP backgrounds
- BONUS: A strong appreciation and understanding of UI and UX fundamentals
- BONUS: Experience building consumer-focused web applications
- Equity in one of the fastest growing startups in the world
- Fitness subsidy
- Professional learning allowance
- 2 In-house chefs - with breakfast and lunch served every day (https://www.instagram.com/canvalife/)
- Company trips
- Relocation budget
This is an opportunity to progress your career (and hold equity/stock options) in one of the fastest growing startups in the world. It is an opportunity to share in our highly collaborative work environment, in-house chefs, company trips / events, and engineering-first culture. We are seeking the best in the world and will provide a relocation allowance for overseas and interstate candidates as well as visa sponsorship for Australia.
We ensure that the Canva workspace is setup for you to do your best work and have a great time doing so, with breakout areas, little nooks, quiet places to retreat and do your best work! We have two in-house chefs that whip up amazing breakfasts and lunches for the whole team, check out what's cooking at: https://instagram.com/canvavibe/
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion. If you’re keen to apply and need reasonable adjustments or would like to note which pronouns you use at any point in the application or interview process, please let us know.