We’re constantly working towards making Canva the best place to work, for everyone. We believe deeply that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key for building the best product for our equally diverse community all around the world. We celebrate uniqueness and whatever makes you, you and encourage everyone who wants to help us transform the way the world designs, to join us on this journey. We value all different types of experiences. If you don’t think you quite meet all of the qualifications, we’d still love to hear from you.
At Canva, our mission is to democratise design and empower creativity for anyone and everyone, on every platform. Inspired by a team of talented thinkers, an amazing culture and a remarkable growth trajectory – we’re out to change the world, one design at a time.
Since launch in August 2013, we have grown exponentially, amassing over 60 million monthly active users across 190 different countries who have created more than 6 Billion designs. We are one of the world’s fastest-growing technology companies and we have only achieved about 1% of what we want to do.
We’re early in our accessibility journey but it’s a path we are committed to for the long-term. Making our product accessible not only makes great business sense, allowing us to partner with education institutions and other organisations, but is also core to our mission to “Empower the World to Design”. Accessibility also reflects our values to “Be a force for good” and “Be a good human”. These values are being lived already in the accessibility space at Canva with strong internal support to participate in accessibility work. This has allowed us to make huge technology changes in a short amount of time.
Last year we focussed on building the foundations for accessibility compliance into our technology stack. In 2021 we want to take that to the next level by making our core flows a delight for all users, especially those with accessibility needs. Your work here includes everything from building generalised components that comply with WCAG standards to building a simple yet sophisticated keyboard-only control pattern to navigate and operate the editor without a screen. You’ll be working in a dedicated accessibility team on core parts of the product with more emphasis on highly technical and architectural solutions than just bug fixes.
- Work with product designers to build sophisticated accessibility features
- Provide technical expertise to other teams to add support for accessibility
- Build efficient and reusable frontend abstractions and systems
- Contributing to the team’s product roadmap
- Identify and address performance bottlenecks
- Participate in design and code reviews
- Experience developing rich applications with HTML/CSS/JS
- Ability to write high-performance, reusable code for UI components, including appropriate testing
- Deep nuanced appreciation and understanding of different disability models, universal design and accessibility-related standards
- Experiencing writing accessible code, including for common UI patterns (WCAG 2.1 AA and ARIA)
- Understanding of the browser event model (bubbling, capturing)
- High-level understanding of computational complexity (Big O)
- Intimate knowledge of cross-browser and cross-device development
- Passion for performance debugging and benchmarking
- Minimum three years experience
- Computer science fundamentals
- Experience with TypeScript (or other typed languages)
- Experience with React
- Experience with MobX
- An interest in interaction design
- Competitive salary, plus equity options
- Flexible working hours, we value work-life balance
- In-house chefs that cook delicious breakfast and lunch for us each day
- Gym and yoga facilities onsite
- Generous parental leave policy
- Pet friendly offices
- Sponsored social clubs and team events
- Fun and quirky celebrations
- Relocation budget provided and visa application fees covered
One of our core values at Canva, “Being a force for good” means we are actively working towards a world that isn’t just good for a small few, but one that’s good for everyone. We believe deeply that bringing together diversity of thoughts, perspectives and expression is key for building the best product for our equally diverse community. To achieve this, we need to constantly work towards making Canva the best place to work, for everyone.
We are looking for people who love technology and can bring creativity when solving challenging problems. We ensure that the Canva workspace is setup for you to do your best work and have a great time doing so. Do you know we have a chef, Song and Chris, that make fantastic lunches for the team? Follow them on Instagram here to see what has been whipped up today: https://www.instagram.com/canvalife/.
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion. If you’re keen to apply and need reasonable adjustments or would like to note which pronouns you use at any point in the application or interview process, please let us know.